-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
My chances of getting into dental school..
Started by cherr1pop
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Your numbers and your plan are really great! The only thing I would try to add it you really want to get in is more dental related work - go shadow a dentist or volunteer at a clinic.
Also, I would not take your GE pass/fail - they want to see that you're a well rounded student (not just really good at math and science). Since you're a bio major and you already audited one course, you're not allowing the adcom to see that you are a good overall student.
Also, I would not take your GE pass/fail - they want to see that you're a well rounded student (not just really good at math and science). Since you're a bio major and you already audited one course, you're not allowing the adcom to see that you are a good overall student.
Your numbers and your plan are really great! The only thing I would try to add it you really want to get in is more dental related work - go shadow a dentist or volunteer at a clinic.
Also, I would not take your GE pass/fail - they want to see that you're a well rounded student (not just really good at math and science). Since you're a bio major and you already audited one course, you're not allowing the adcom to see that you are a good overall student.
don't feed the trolls
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea a 4.0 GPA and a 23AA will probably not get you into any schools. What are you worrying about. YOU WILL be fine ... as long as you can speak english and act normal at the interviews.
Okay, so here is one more person asking for advice concerning her statistics...
I'm planning to graduate in 3 years with a degree (Biology BA) and so far my science GPA is 4.0 (only 1 yr of bio, 1 yr of chem, & 1 semester of calc 3 tho..) and overall is 3.96..
I'm currently enrolled in OChem 1 (shooting for A-/A.. I'm on A/B borderline right now for the class), Mole Bio (A as of now), Asian History (GE), and psychology (cause some dental schools require it), + calligraphy (pass/no pass, i'm taking it for the units cause otherwise I don't have enough credit to graduate in 3 years); 18 units in total.
Next semester I'll be taking Ochem 2, Biochem, Linguistics (another GE, I'm thinking about doing this P/NP; will it look bad??), Japanese 1 (Elective), and Biology Research Course for 2 units.. so 18 units in total...
I've tried the practice DATs.. the first time I tried in spring I got 23 academic average and 22 on PAT. (I have no clue how but I literally guessed through ochem cause I haven't taken it and managed to get half of them right... hopefully after taking the course, I can answer more than half right w/o guessing..)
For extracurricular activity, I volunteered at an elementary school and participated in area government last year.. Now I'm doing pre-dental society and working as lab assisstant in a neuroscience lab of my general bio professor...
Can anyone give me an estimate of my chances of getting into dental school? I'm shooting for UCSF/UCLA... Cause I'm going to have to change my record to show that I'll be graduating in 2009 instead of 2010 and feel like if I don't have too big of a chance of getting in, I should just stay for 4 years and maybe try studying abroad or something...
Any advice will be very helpful. Thank you so much for you time!!!
Beware
!!! There is a strong correlation that people who tend to get 23's on their practice DAT exams will most assuredly get nothing higher then a 12 on the actual thing...seriously. Also, I would strongly consider raising your GPA/sGPA. While 4.0/3.96 may be good for "mediocre" schools like...err...lets say Harvard, you'll find yourself hard-pressed to get early interview invites to the majority of most all dental schools. Lastly, I hate to break it to you but I heard all California schools are repulsed by anyone who does volunteer work, especially at elementary schools. UCLA, in particular, will require an extra personal comments from you with the intend of explaining yourself regarding why you decided to waste so much time doing research, let alone in a neuroscience laboratory setting. If you expect to get into any school at California, might I suggest doing something a little more productive like staring at the sun for minutes at a time. Good luck...pshht! i was sort of wanting to get more advice about how the dental schools look at getting only 2 years worth of transcript (instead of 3 for most applicants) regardless of GPA/volunteer... does anyone have any experience in this? i feel like i'll be pressed against ppl who have 3 years of transcript (including more upper division classes) and GPA/extracurricular just as good or better than mine..
but thanks for the sarcasm.
but thanks for the sarcasm.
Other than your GPA your doing pretty well. I would suggest getting a few C's and D's to show the dental schools you will fit in with their dental students. I've been told that anything above a 3.5 raises eyebrows. Most schools filter out students with GPA's above a 3.7, not even given an interview. If you really insist on doing well in your classes, you better bomb your DAT or adcoms will really question your ability. But don't forget that if you don't get in one cycle, just take some more classes and get some D's and F's so you will look more competitive for the next cycle. Hang in there, you can do it!
"I've tried the practice DATs.. the first time I tried in spring I got 23 academic average and 22 on PAT. (I have no clue how but I literally guessed through ochem cause I haven't taken it and managed to get half of them right... hopefully after taking the course, I can answer more than half right w/o guessing..)"
You have a talent. You should exploit this ability to get the right answers without learning the material.
You have a talent. You should exploit this ability to get the right answers without learning the material.
i was sort of wanting to get more advice about how the dental schools look at getting only 2 years worth of transcript (instead of 3 for most applicants) regardless of GPA/volunteer... does anyone have any experience in this? i feel like i'll be pressed against ppl who have 3 years of transcript (including more upper division classes) and GPA/extracurricular just as good or better than mine..
but thanks for the sarcasm.
Please refrain from calling out other SDN members on the forum. If you have an issue with someone's posts, feel free to hit the "report post" icon under their screen name and let members of the SDN team handle it. Threads like this fall apart quickly due to mob mentality and this really discourages new members from posting. Looks like yall scared off cherr1pop already. Let's try and keep SDN a little more welcoming shall we? 🙂
apparently ppl can't handle anyone who's more ambitious than them.
I love that you edited your post so that people can't know that you were seriously asking about your chances with a 4.0 and a 23AA...
Hey I've heard of people with 4.0's and 23's not getting in... they are complete social
*****s/are extremely arrogant and usually only apply to one school... or just the California schools. Even though the numbers look good if you don't cover your back by applying to a decent number of schools (especially if you only apply to top tier schools) you may not necesarrily get in.
*****s/are extremely arrogant and usually only apply to one school... or just the California schools. Even though the numbers look good if you don't cover your back by applying to a decent number of schools (especially if you only apply to top tier schools) you may not necesarrily get in.
You should always have experience to see if you even like the field you are going into. That's my personal opinion 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 3K