My chances of post bacc admission?!

Started by N8D9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

N8D9

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I applied to a BUNCH of dental school during the summer of last year and got rejected to almost all of them (waiting to hear back from 3, but i have no expectations that this point). However, I found a few post bacc/special masters programs that concentrate on helping students get into professional schools.
My question is what are my chances of getting into those as well? My sGPA is 3.1 and my overall is 3.0 with a DAT of 18 (AA). not too impressive I know, hence the post bacc. But I was reading post bacc threads on here and have realized admission into these are definitely not easy. So I was wondering.. what do you think of my situation - do I have a shot anywhere?

THANKS A LOT!
 
Hi there! You do have a shot getting into these masters programs because I did. I have similar stats as you do and I'm pre dental also so it seems that the number of programs geared towards pre dental students is lower than medical kids. I have a 3.02 cGPA and a 19 AA. I applied to six schools because it's pretty expensive and I wasn't sure if I would even get in. I applied to Mississippi College, Boston U Oral health sciences track, Barry U, Midwestern U, Western U MSMS, and Tulane U. I received two acceptance letters from Barry University for their 2 year program and from Mississippi College. I have yet to hear from other schools but no rejections yet so I'm still optimistic. I'm hoping that I'll hear from the other schools soon because Barry and Mississippi need a response from me ASAP.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions. Goodluck and I wish you all the best.
 
Hi there! You do have a shot getting into these masters programs because I did. I have similar stats as you do and I'm pre dental also so it seems that the number of programs geared towards pre dental students is lower than medical kids. I have a 3.02 cGPA and a 19 AA. I applied to six schools because it's pretty expensive and I wasn't sure if I would even get in. I applied to Mississippi College, Boston U Oral health sciences track, Barry U, Midwestern U, Western U MSMS, and Tulane U. I received two acceptance letters from Barry University for their 2 year program and from Mississippi College. I have yet to hear from other schools but no rejections yet so I'm still optimistic. I'm hoping that I'll hear from the other schools soon because Barry and Mississippi need a response from me ASAP.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions. Goodluck and I wish you all the best.

Hey there! I think you getting in has really made me optimistic 🙂 Looks like you are definitely ahead of the game and congrats on Barry! My applications should go in by the end of this week so hopefully I wont be lagging too behind. How long did they take to get back to you after you turned in your application? Also, do you know if Midwestern's and BU's are linkage programs?

Thanks a ton for the info and good luck to you too!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent my application to Barry on 2/2. My file was complete around Feb. 14th or 15th and I got my acceptance letter via e-mail on 2/22 so the turn around is really fast. The down side is I only have 30 days to respond to Barry or I will forfeit my spot. Also, I don't know if I want to do the 2 year program. I don't think BU and Midwestern's programs are linkage programs but it will definitely help your chances getting into dental schools. I think BU might give you an interview if you do well. You should look into Western's program because I think they offer linkage. Try to get those apps submitted ASAP.
 
Oh man that's quick! Wait for Barry can't you get into the one year if you have above a 3.0 and 18 DAT? I wouldn't want to do 2 years either. And for MWU - i already applied to IL but I'm sending mine into AZ as well.
And yr right about Western U.. theirs seems more promising that the others.. keeping my fingers crossed - hopefully everything works out!

Thanks so much for your help and good luck with the decision making (sucks how the stress doesn't decrease even AFTER you get in lol)