my chances????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hfav

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
i was wondering if someone could tell me my chances of getting into DO schools. I graduated 5/00 with a Bio degree. My overall gpa was a 3.2, with an mcat score of 26. I am currently working in a lab at MIT, and will take my mcats in august (hopefully get close to a 30). I've been very involved in school and community events and have done a fare share of volunteer work....thanks! =)

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are strong. I had a 3.3 GPA and a 30 on the MCAT, but I know of some one in a DO school with below a 3.0 and less than 21 on the MCAT. The nice thing about DO programs that differ from MD programs is that they recognize that grades and scores do not necessarily mean success in medical school and they certainly do not mean you will become a great physician. Your GPA and MCAT score are both strong enough to get into most MD and DO programs. Keep working in the lab, and apply now -- before you retake the MCAT. Only retake the MCAT if you know you can score better -- if you score lower, this will be looked upon poorly.

wow, there is hope
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
You are definitely on the right track. Your MCAT's are good to average. If it is low in a science area then you may want to try and bring that up. Overall, DO schools really consider all of you and not just the congnitive science ability. So continue to be well balanced and continue to improve your weak points and you'll be in DO school come next year. Good luck.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by hfav:
Hi everyone,
i was wondering if someone could tell me my chances of getting into DO schools. I graduated 5/00 with a Bio degree. My overall gpa was a 3.2, with an mcat score of 26. I am currently working in a lab at MIT, and will take my mcats in august (hopefully get close to a 30). I've been very involved in school and community events and have done a fare share of volunteer work....thanks! =)

You have a shot, but not a great one.