My chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hedgehog29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going back to school, a community college, after dropping out at the end of my freshman year. Basically, I wasn't motivated and didn't show up to class all that much. That was 3 years ago and I'm going back to the same school to retake some of the classes/other classes and then try to then get into a 4 year college.

Since I dropped out I have had time to think about what I want to do and decided that either I want to to pharmacy or go to medical school. I have already took 2 classes this summer, currently my GPA is a 1.57, and I'm wondering what honestly my chances are for getting into either type of schools. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

If you complete two years at a CC with good grades and transfer to a university maintaining your stellar grades, all while being involved with some type of leadership, research, clinical experience and meaningful volunteering. I would say that your chance is as good as any. Your chance of getting in particular schools is going to depend on your overall stats. The stronger your stats, the more competitive you will be at all schools.

It may be good that you dropped out after your freshman year. A 1.57 may seem very bad, but if you are talking about only 15-20 credit hours then your GPA will skyrocket as you tack on the A's. My GPA will barely move after 150 Credit Hours. You can pull it up to the 3.5 range as long as you focus and make mostly A's. You have to do lots of clinical volunteering and extra curricular activities in that 4 years of undergrad that you have left. Take them on slowly. A few hours a week will add up to a lot after 4 years. You got lots of chance and potential. Go for it! :thumbup: