My Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjjdm1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what defines a non-traditional applicant but I think this is the right place for my post!

I want to see what you fellow applicants/already accepted students think about my chances to get into public medical school in Texas. My heart is set on TCOM (D.O.) right now, but if I get accepted I'm going!

Here's my path:

I graduated with a degree in accounting last August and began working as an auditor, but during undergrad I decided I wanted to go to medical school so I did my medical prerequisites simultaneously with my accounting classes. The whole reason I finished my accounting degree instead of switching was because I knew I would have a year of "off time" after graduating to get my resume in order and I wanted to have a well-paying job that would help me save for medical school. By the time I interview (hopefully) this fall I will have a year of auditing experience.

I volunteered in an emergency room for 6 months during my junior year of college.

Before my new job (and even partly during) I worked in a pediatric ER where my job specifically was to shadow doctors and take their notes. I spent over 1000 hours doing this.

Last August I went on a surgical mission trip to Central America where I helped the nurses in the recovery room and spent about 25 hours circulating in the operating rooms watching three types of surgeons and some anaesthesiologists work.

I have volunteered in three week-long camps for children, two for abused children and one for children with renal problems.

I have been volunteering for a hospice twice a month for 6 months.

I am signed up for genetic research credits over this next summer and will be continuing it throughout the fall.

My undergrad GPA was a 3.7. I graduated from my school's Honors Program. My science GPA was about a 3.65. I was an officer in one honor society and involved in two others.

I am taking my MCAT in April and should make at least a 28, but hopefully above a 30. (I really have no clue I began a two month cramming session Sunday and I am feeling more confident.)

BUT...I do have several weaknesses on my resume. My bio grades were not stellar. A couple A's, a couple B's, one C in Animal Phys, and one D in Genetics. I think the D in Genetics might help me, though, because I made it up and got an A (and am also going to do research for this professor, and he's writing me a letter). I think I can tie my low-grades into working full-time during my final two years of college.

And my GPA has a slightly downward-sloping trend in my 4th year but I did get it back up my final two semesters.

I would appreciate input!

Sometimes I think I'm ahead of the game, sometimes I think I'm not doing enough but I don't know how I could do more, and sometimes I think I'm in the middle. So obviously I don't know where I am!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will have a strong application, providing your MCAT score is 28+. You might well get an acceptance with a slightly lower score.

Your clinical experience is extraordinarily broad-based, and that's what counts most (from what I've heard) in the Texas application process. Though you don't specifically mention physican shadowing, it is presumably embedded in the scribing activity. You also have good community service/nonmedical and leadership. You won't have much research by the time you apply, but at least it will be listed. Hopefully you have an interesting hobby or two to make you look well-rounded.

Your blips in the academic road are not serious, as you more than compensated for them.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket; apply more broadly. I'd guess that there are a number of Texas schools that would be delighted to accept you in case you screw up the TCOM interview.

Your stats look good for TX - you should have a good chance. Do as well as you can on the MCAT to leave as many options open as possible, and APPLY EARLY - TX is even earlier than the rest of the country, with TMDSAS opening before AMCAS and interviews starting at the end of July. So i'd say the "apply early" advice always given on SDN is even more true for Texas.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the boards! First, you have a very good application for Texas, both MD and TCOM. You do need to do well on the MCAT, a 28+ would be competitive for MD schools, while a 30+ would be much better. Sounds like you have plenty of physician shadowing, and health EC's. Get a little community volunteer work and sounds like your good.

Dont let the SDN crowd get you questioning yourself, not everyone in Texas med schools have 38+ MCAT and 3.98 sGPA. That includes me. I think you should keep what your doing and try and get some things in that you love. Hobby, sports ? ? Those would help round out your application as well as a great personal statement.

Good Luck!

Apply everywhere in Texas to broaden your chances. I think the Texas state schools are running mean mcats of around 30-31 nowadays. TCOM is a point or two lower (don't quote me on that). And apply as soon as the app opens up in May. It's a rolling application so the earlier the better.

Man I love these forums. There are so many people out there who so helpful. I am really grateful for all the advice (keep it coming!) and hopefully I will be able to return the favor!

I can try to branch out with some more volunteer service, but its hard working full-time and fitting everything in. I'm not naturally a workaholic, just a normal person who is forced to be one because of I'm passionate about becoming a doctor :D, so I need a little free time now and then.

I am going to try to branch out my hobbies this summer because I have some things I've always wanted to do, such as play the guitar and learning Spanish (but so far it's all talk...I can't concentrate on anything but the MCAT it freaks me out!) I'm planning to start pursuing those hard core starting April 18th (day after MCAT)!

I do exercise daily though (not sure if that counts as a hobby) and was the captain for many intramural sports teams in college. Think that can help cover the hobby standpoint for now?

I can try to branch out with some more volunteer service, but its hard working full-time and fitting everything in. I'm not naturally a workaholic, just a normal person who is forced to be one because of I'm passionate about becoming a doctor :D, so I need a little free time now and then.

Absolutely understand!!! It sucks to have to do so much, but its worth it! If you could fit in a soup kitchen or something a couple hours once a month or something, that would give a nice little volunteer edge to your application in my opinion. Not that helping the homeless is an application booster, but lets be honest here. Actually, working in the soup kitchen was by far my favorite volunteer experience. I like hearing people's life stories and there were some great ones. I digress...

I am going to try to branch out my hobbies this summer because I have some things I've always wanted to do, such as play the guitar and learning Spanish (but so far it's all talk...I can't concentrate on anything but the MCAT it freaks me out!) I'm planning to start pursuing those hard core starting April 18th (day after MCAT)!

I do exercise daily though (not sure if that counts as a hobby) and was the captain for many intramural sports teams in college. Think that can help cover the hobby standpoint for now?

Yeah, dont worry about it too much until you get your MCAT done, thats way more important. Yes, your intramural "captainship" is a good one. Also your exercise is as well, got lots of comments about stress relief when the topic of my workouts came up in interviews.

Keep us informed about how things go for you.