My classmates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imtheman25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it me or are most most medical students fake? Smile to your face and then stab you in the back the second you turn around? I feel like I am in high school again with all the cliques and the gossip. They feed off your failure and squirm when they see you succeed. Everyone wants to be the best even if it entails destroying a classmates career. It's disgusting. I am not sure if any of you experience this but I have never been so disappointed. The mentality of "me first" is quite rampant and really makes me lose hope in the field of medicine. Does this culture carry forward into residency and clinical years? Because I cannot handle this any longer. I used to be a very happy person, one who was known for constantly smiling but for the first time in my life I have started anti-depressants.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
yes this is common. more common and pervasive across a lot of schools. what I've done is find hobbies and friends outside of school. I'm even contemplating getting a small dog like a maltipoo...which I actually may do to keep me busy outside of schoolwork. but yea its real but I'm choosing not to get consumed bc there is life after med school. oh also find classmates that don't really discuss grades a lot. it helps. make sure u protect yourself by setting good boundaries also.

Reactions: 3 users
It happens in all schools. I had classmates like that as well and for those specific individuals I would avoid them if possible and if not, share only the most basic of basic information that I could. Because if I gave them any more, they would turn it into some weird rumor for their own pointless enjoyment.

Do your best to find the classmates that are chill and have lives outside of school. They are usually your best bet to avoid this high school like mentality.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you feeling this way because of specific things you've noticed students have done, or is this just a "feeling" you get?

Are you feeling this way because of specific things you've noticed students have done, or is this just a "feeling" you get?

Specifically things students have done. A former friend/classmate reported me to the dean for professionalism bc I was providing some of my classmates with torrented videos and books.

Reactions: 3 users
Specifically things students have done. A former friend/classmate reported me to the dean for professionalism bc I was providing some of my classmates with torrented videos and books.
So you did something illegal and unprofessional and got called on it, and now this is a huge medical culture issue? Gotcha.

Reactions: 14 users

No offense, but this is a ****ty example of a society going to hell in a hand basket.

My original reply was going to be about how medical students aren't that different than the rest of society and that still applies. But, really? You did something illegal and everyone is out to get you because you got reported?

Reactions: 17 users
Everyone does this. It's about as illegal as littering or not wearing your seat belt. You did nothing wrong. Your "friend" is a dick. Keep your head down, learn to smile the fake smile (it's fundamental for med school and beyond), get your degree, and move on. Yes, most people, not just med students, are just not the kind you want in your life. Now you know.

Reactions: 33 users

wow that's pretty ruthless...do they know how common this is?? wow...honestly its almost about the same as googling the videos or books at this point.

Reactions: 6 users
Is it me or are most most medical students fake? Smile to your face and then stab you in the back the second you turn around? I feel like I am in high school again with all the cliques and the gossip. They feed off your failure and squirm when they see you succeed. Everyone wants to be the best even if it entails destroying a classmates career. It's disgusting. I am not sure if any of you experience this but I have never been so disappointed. The mentality of "me first" is quite rampant and really makes me lose hope in the field of medicine. Does this culture carry forward into residency and clinical years? Because I cannot handle this any longer. I used to be a very happy person, one who was known for constantly smiling but for the first time in my life I have started anti-depressants.
Professionalism is taken very seriously

I honestly think people who litter are the scum of the earth.

Everyone does this. It's about as illegal as littering or not wearing your seat belt. You did nothing wrong. Your "friend" is a dick. Keep your head down, learn to smile the fake smile (it's fundamental for med school and beyond), get your degree, and move on. Yes, most people, not just med students, are just not the kind you want in your life. Now you know.

Reactions: 32 users

so true!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I found someone who litters.
nope i don't. but the difference is I'm mature enough to go about my day...because there is just a hierarchy of things that I CHOOSE to care about on a daily basis. When you are busy...you will be like this as well.

nope i don't. but the difference is I'm mature enough to go about my day...because there is just a hierarchy of things that I CHOOSE to care about on a daily basis. When you are busy...you will be like this as well.

I'm a **** ton busier than you and I dislike littering as well. I do like the logic and put downs though. You are more mature than the rest of us because you don't care about littering. Also, you are just too busy to be bothered with it. Solid. Really solid.

Reactions: 30 users
I'm a **** ton busier than you and I dislike littering as well. I do like the logic and put downs though. You are more mature than the rest of us because you don't care about littering. Also, you are just too busy to be bothered with it. Solid. Really solid.

LOL ok. you can go back to being ****ton busy *wink*

LOL you're a resident...why are u going back and forth with me *facepalm* don't you have patients??

Why am I going back and forth with you? This is a forum. You acted like a dip**** and put down another poster all the while making no logical sense about how because you are more mature and busier, your opinion must be correct. I may not spend as much time stopping people from littering as I should, but it does feel good to point out repeatedly how ridiculous your posting is.

Beyond that, and specifically about the quoted post, asking if I have patients, really? Do you know anything about residency? That is a serious question, I'd say that it is hard to imagine that you do, but given your prior posts in this thread, I shouldn't be terribly surprised.

Reactions: 16 users
Why am I going back and forth with you? This is a forum. You acted like a dip**** and put down another poster all the while making no logical sense about how because you are more mature and busier, your opinion must be correct. I may not spend as much time stopping people from littering as I should, but it does feel good to point out repeatedly how ridiculous your posting is.

Beyond that, and specifically about the quoted post, asking if I have patients, really? Do you know anything about residency? That is a serious question, I'd say that it is hard to imagine that you do, but given your prior posts in this thread, I shouldn't be terribly surprised.

LOL you have a lot of time on your hands today....
its not going to stop me from posting what i want....so everything you are saying is a waste of time....focus on ur residency.

People who claim defense by how busy they are only reveal their ignorance. You can’t claim you are so busy you can't focus on something that takes no effort.

How could you possibly defend littering? It’s such a bad argument. Or worse - be apathetic to it. Littering is disgusting.

its not going to stop me from posting what i want....so everything you are saying is a waste of time....focus on ur residency.

Reactions: 14 users

Mimelim goes into hibernation and doesn't post for months at a time. Today he has some free time to dispense wisdom to us plebs and instead gets harassed by some littering pre-med troll. Kindly go back to your bridge.

88733804.S6QNAQmK.111007TrollBridge.jpg

Reactions: 15 users

You should have stuck with only the seat belt example.

Reactions: 10 users
"I'm too busy and mature to care about people littering. One day you'll be as enlightened as I am."

I swear, the **** you read on SDN....

Reactions: 9 users
People who claim defense by how busy they are only reveal their ignorance. You can’t claim you are so busy you can't focus on something that takes no effort.

How could you possibly defend littering? It’s such a bad argument. Or worse - be apathetic to it. Littering is disgusting.

lol where did i defend it....my argument was that I didn't care and there were other things to be concerned about. reading is fundamental. this whole thing just proves my point and OP's point lots of med students care about the dumbest things.

Mimelim goes into hibernation and doesn't post for months at a time. Today he has some free time to dispense wisdom to us plebs and instead gets harassed by some littering pre-med troll. Kindly go back to your bridge.

88733804.S6QNAQmK.111007TrollBridge.jpg

LOL ok. ur making a lot sense. It just proves my point. I CANNOT believe people are getting riled about littering. that's crazy. and I'm def not premed HAHAHA

get a life...there are more important things to be concerned about like poverty...and the state of race relations in America...care about THAT....not someone throwing an opened Starburst wrapper on the ground. get a life seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
HAHAAHAHA yes...people are coming after me because I said i don't care about littering. GET A LIFE!! LOL

GET A LIFE...there are more important things to be concerned about like poverty...and the state of race relations in America...care about THAT....not someone throwing an opened Starburst wrapper on the ground. get a life seriously.

Man, posts like these are the reason why this forum gets a bad reputation.

Reactions: 13 users
I honestly think people who litter are the scum of the earth.

there are more important things to be angry about than someone littering...who cares?

sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
    "his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
    synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; More

Hey

Let’s try and keep it together

If you can’t get along with someone put them on ignore

Reactions: 5 users
Back to the original question: does anyone actually like their classmates?

My class has a couple gunners, every class does, but generally we’re all in this together and while there’s some cliques I don’t really care to hang out with, I don’t hate anyone.

Reactions: 11 users
So you did something illegal and unprofessional and got called on it, and now this is a huge medical culture issue? Gotcha.
All make way for our shining hero and all those necessary to follow with his soap-box in hand!

Avoid certain ppl and be friends with those who don't drive you insane.

My class has a couple gunners, every class does, but generally we’re all in this together and while there’s some cliques I don’t really care to hang out with, I don’t hate anyone.

Yes, I like almost all of my classmates. They're good people. I only ever see these "all my classmates are terrible" stories on SDN.

Reactions: 4 users

Yes, I like almost all of my classmates. They're good people. I only ever see these "all my classmates are terrible" stories on SDN.

I get along with most of the classmates I interact with and have good professional and personal relationships, obviously we have our share of insufferable pricks, but that is life there will always be people you dont get along with.

Why would you share illegally obtained materials with others in a professional setting? Sounds like a recipe for getting reported to the professionalism committee.

Reactions: 5 users
This reminds me of one of the great quotes I read some time ago right here on SDN........

"Friends are dead weight, once you get accepted you have to crush them under your thumb like the ants they are." - @NotASerialKiller

Christ almighty. My sincerest apologies for even having the slightest thought of you just having a complex.

He might as well report torrent websites to the FBI.

Yeah I get along really well with some. I have a lot of classmates that I think are fine people but we don't have anything in common. There's a few that i don't like and fewer that are insufferable. Overall pretty good for a big group of people

+1 to this, love my class. Some people keep to themselves and when i talk to them seem chill, others are outgoing and helpful people. Havent met any malicious or true “gunners” yet

Steps to avoid being “gunned” in medical school:

1) Tell everyone you’re interested in pursuing family medicine at your home institution or a low tier one far away for geographical reasons

2) whenever someone asks you about grades, simply say “I did well” without going into specifics

3) if someone asks about step, just say “Man, I’m just hoping to pass”

4) be totally self reliant

5) keep discussions regarding extracurriculars on a need to know basis

6) $$$

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
get a life...there are more important things to be concerned about like poverty...and the state of race relations in America...care about THAT....not someone throwing an opened Starburst wrapper on the ground. get a life seriously.
Being poor isn’t damaging other people, littering makes someone a crappy person

My class is great. Theres one or two gunners but they keep to themselves. I really only see "I hate my class" on SDN. Which kinda makes sense, judging by how this thread went.

The class below me had people who were informing the deans about who was using pirated copies of study materials and I thought it was ridiculous that people would tell on their classmates about that. It's clearly gunning. That would be like if you went to a friends house to watch a movie and they had a pirated copy of the movie so you called the police.

Now littering--you gotta be a real dirt bag to condone that behavior.

Reactions: 16 users
.... that got heated.

I don’t think I’ve had a starburst since 2002. If you have the time and energy to unwrap that little ****er then you can find a trash can or better yet a recycling bin to throw the wrapper in. Otherwise just eat the whole thing, paper and all.

Reactions: 12 users