Hello,

I had applied to the following college of CUNY:

1. Hunter college
2. City college
3. Baruch college
4. Brooklyn college
5. Queens college
6. York college

I got my acceptance from all 5 except HUNTER COLLEGE. Which was my first choice and i really want to go there.

I got a 1790 on my SAT and my critical reading score was a 490 while my math was a 670.
I think i didnt get in because of my cr score on the SAT.
I have 2 months before my admission and start of the 2015 spring semester.. i need HELP ..
What should i do ? Should i use these two months to improve my SAT score so that I can attend HUNTER COLLEGE?
Should I do my first semester in BARUCH OR CITY COLLEGE ?

Please help and let me know what you would do if you were in my position. THANK YOU! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm not mistaken, it really doesn't matter what college you do premed in. Many medical students started in community colleges. Your GPA and MCAT score matter far more to medical schools than whether you went to Hunter College as opposed to any of the others that you listed here. Therefore, if I were in your position, I would go right ahead and start at one of the schools you've been accepted to. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
If I'm not mistaken, it really doesn't matter what college you do premed in. Many medical students started in community colleges. Your GPA and MCAT score matter far more to medical schools than whether you went to Hunter College as opposed to any of the others that you listed here. Therefore, if I were in your position, I would go right ahead and start at one of the schools you've been accepted to. Just my 2 cents.

Wow! That really makes me feel good!! :) ^^ thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Pierre Escargot Would u happen to know about Fordham university and if they would look at my SAT or college gpa if i transfer?

In truth I wasn't familiar with Fordham or its transfer processes but I found this PDF file which may help you: http://www.fordham.edu/images/admissions/transfer guide 2014.pdf

It says in there that you do not need to provide your SAT/ACT if you have accumulated 30 transferable credits at another university. Provided that all of your credits from the university that you start at are transferable, you would have 30 credits after approximately one year (since the recommendation that I was given for premed was that each semester I take ~15 credits).

The PDF also has all of the other requirements/pertinent information for transferring, so I hope it will be of help to you.

@Pierre Escargot
Oh thank u so much .. I actually had ap in terms of my a levels so I already have 22 credits. Maybe I can apply after completing 30. May I ask from where u did your pre med and what I should do to be a good pre med. thank you :)

Doesn't matter where you go. Go somewhere you will enjoy and do well at

Hello,

1. Hunter college
2. City college
3. Baruch college
4. Brooklyn college
5. Queens college
6. York college

I got my acceptance from all 5 except HUNTER COLLEGE. Which was my first choice and i really want to go there.

I got a 1790 on my SAT and my critical reading score was a 490 while my math was a 670.
I have 2 months before my admission and start of the 2015 spring semester.. i need HELP ..
What should i do ? Should i use these two months to improve my SAT score so that I can attend HUNTER COLLEGE?

Please help and let me know what you would do if you were in my position. THANK YOU! :)
With what you have given as choices, unequivocally go with where you will be happiest.

@Pierre Escargot
Oh thank u so much .. I actually had ap in terms of my a levels so I already have 22 credits. Maybe I can apply after completing 30. May I ask from where u did your pre med and what I should do to be a good pre med. thank you :)
I'm in my final year of premed at SUNY Buffalo and I'll be attending there for medical school also, starting next year.

Really, there's nothing too complicated about being a good premedical student. While I am by no means the perfect premed student, and although I'm sure others might have better advice, I'll do my best to be helpful by offering the following pieces of advice:

1. Academics come first, always. Arguably the most important aspects of your application will be your GPA and MCAT score. You'll have to do much more work to do well in college than you did in high school, so go in with that mindset and be prepared to work significantly more than you did for the past four years. That's not to say you won't have any free time -- compared to medical school, undergrad is way, way less work from what I've heard from medical students and physicians on these forums and in real life -- but when you've got exams or assignments, do your absolute best and get the highest grades that you can, and even when you don't have exams, ideally you should be keeping up with your readings and attending class regularly. Undergrad is extremely doable in terms of academics as long as you're driven and willing to put in the work.

2. The same goes for studying for your MCAT. Find resources that help you (I personally used the Kaplan review book, which I thought was great). Complete your prerequisite courses of Bio 1+2, Chem 1+2, OChem 1+2, and Physics 1+2 so that you've covered all of the topics involved, and then study hard using whatever resources you've chosen, whether it be a review book, a class, a combination of the two, or something else. I also encourage you to take courses pertinent to the new MCAT, which, in addition to the aforementioned courses, would be psychology and sociology, I believe.

3. In your free time, partake in extracurricular activities. There are a large number of activities you can partake in. Shadowing physicians is pretty much a necessity so that you can show admissions committees that you know what a physician's day is like and what you're getting yourself into. A great deal of successful applicants also volunteer in hospitals and other clinical settings. Research is also an excellent extracurricular to partake in. Nonclinical volunteering in its various forms is a good way to supplement your clinical volunteering/shadowing. This can be done through a local church or other organization, for example. Ask your advisor about opportunities for all of these extracurricular activities and pursue them to add color to your application and show that you are an altruistic, compassionate human being who would make a good physician.

In summary: Academics first (GPA and MCAT), extracurriculars second. And of course there's the obvious 'stay out of trouble and make responsible decisions,' but I'm sure you don't need to be told that. So that's my 2 cents. If anyone has anything else to add, or would like to correct me, by all means, please do so. If not, hopefully my advice has helped a bit. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Hello,

1. Hunter college
2. City college
3. Baruch college
4. Brooklyn college
5. Queens college
6. York college

Dude/dudette

Don't be bummed about not getting an acceptance from hunter. I graduated Baruch with a BA in bio and I've got to say-- it was an amazing school for pre med. The pre med circle is small and feels so tightly knit. You get to know all professors very personally since classes are small (~50 people in Gchem compared to hunters ~200). I got a great committee rec. and they make it very personal. Also, they allow you to TA as an adjunct if they like you. Many of my peers did including myself, and we make BANK per hour.

Also, they say Baruch may not be so inclined towards sciences, but the 23rd st. building is basically a building devoted to all the science classes/offices/pre-Med club, so you get the feeling of being in a science school. There's ample research opportunity as well.

I cannot speak for city college, but feel free to PM me for additional details.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hello,

1. Hunter college
2. City college
3. Baruch college
4. Brooklyn college
5. Queens college
6. York college

Like everybody has said, go where you will be happiest. Your choice will not impact your entrance into medical school.

It really doesn't matter. I assume you visited each campus. Go to wherever you can see yourself walking around for the next few years of your life. Of course, if you really want to be exposed to a lot of research then go to a research heavy school. It will also help if your school choice is near a hospital or various doctor's offices (shadowing/community service). In the end, it's the opportunities you make for yourself, not the name of the school, that will get you into medical school.

Thank you everyone! I actually got into hunter college through my appeal application :) so I'm planning on going there and trying it for a semester and then if I'm not satisfied maybe transfer to Baruch or city college.

How to choose a college (pre-med edition):

1. Make a list of 5-10 colleges based on location, social atmosphere, majors, liberal arts or research, etc. etc. etc. Make sure you have at least a few that you know you have a good shot at.

^Done for you

2. Pick the one that would be the cheapest for you to attend.

3. Enroll in that one.

Nobody really cares where you go to undergrad or even med school for that matter (as long as it's an accredited US med school). Medicine (from what I understand) isn't like business where it's basically just a cock fest of who went to the highest ranked college.

Yes, I agree
I have gotten full financial aid for my pre med so I'm not worried anymore and I chose hunter college of cuny