MY COMPLETE OAT EXPERIENCE (4/25/15)

Nimsss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the day before my test all I did was read other "My Oat Experience" posts and it really helped me to see what other people went through and how their scores reflected their practice. So I decided to write my own experience story for others who are going through the same thing I was.

The day before my test I didn't do any hardcore studying at all. I just looked over my review sheets that I made and some flashcards and of course read all the forum posts on here.

The day of the test I woke up at 9 (my test was at 12:30) ate a good breakfast, looked over my notes and packed a small bag with some granola bars, IDs, and a copy of the confirmation email. I left my house at 11:30 and got to the testing center at 12. The check in process was quick and the staff was really nice. For the test you need two IDs and they have to be signed. My credit card wasn't signed so I had to go back to my car, sign it, and then come back into the testing center. The receptionist then gave me a confidentiality paper. I took this time to use the bathroom before they called me in. After the small bathroom break, I put all my stuff in the locker and they called me into the next "waiting room". Here they checked me in on another computer, used the metal detector wand, and gave me some note boards as scratch paper. They're basically laminated yellow graph paper. The markers they give you aren't dry erase but the ones that need water to be erased. When you run out of space you just ask for more note boards.

Now it was time for the test. I was so nervous!! I sat down at my computer and started the tutorial. I took this time to calm myself down and to write down some formulas/facts about the sciences section. Just stuff from on the top of my mind to get my brain in the science mode. After the tutorial, it began...

Biology: This section was the section that I did really good on in my practice tests, and since my major was Biology in college, it was the section that I didn't really need to study for. The questions weren't that hard and not "tricky" and were taken from all sections of bio (taxonomy, genetics, physiology, etc). The plant stuff wasn't my strong point and thankfully I didn't get many of those questions. Overall this section was pretty easy for me.

Gen Chem: Again, if you study and know your material, it's not bad. Both calculation and concept based questions.

Orgo: This class was the death of me during my undergrad but surprisingly I did really well on this section. Know your reactions of course!! I spent all my time studying reactions for this section and it paid off.

RC: On my practice tests, this section was one of the worst for me. The passages on the Kaplan practice tests were more difficult than the ones I got on the actual test. The three passages were easy to understand and the questions were fair. My strategy for this section works for me but maybe it could work for someone else so I'll tell. For each of the passages I go through the questions first. I write down keywords from each question on my scratch paper/note board. Then I start reading the passage. As each of the keywords from my notes comes up I write the paragraph number next to the corresponding key word. Then when I go through answering the questions I know which paragraph to look in to find the answer.

Break: Take the full time for the break!! I went and ate a snack, drank water, and used the restroom. When I came back to my computer I had five minutes left on the clock. I asked for new note boards at this point and one of the staff members kindly gave me two new ones. I took this time to write down any and all of the physics formulas I could remember. And then I just sat there for the rest of the time calming my nerves down. Then the clock read 03, 02, 01, 00

Physics: It was time for the dreaded physics section. This was my WORST section on my practice tests and as it turns out the worst on my actual test too. On my practice tests i was making a score less than 300 on this section and I was so worried for the physics section. The first time I went through the section I triaged/skipped and marked sooo many questions. Majority of the questions were calculation based along with some conceptual questions too. The posts I read on here said that the actual physics section on the test is easier than the Kaplan tests, but I didn't find that to be the case. The physics section was just as hard for me...

QR: This section supposedly was dreadful for many people but for me it wasn't toooo bad. Yeah there were many questions that took time to solve and for those I skipped the first round going through the questions. I aimed to solve the questions that didn't need much time solving and then went through the rest. You can't really study for this section but I would suggest to practice as much as possible. There is a calculator on this section and it seems to help some people and throws off other people. For me, it was pretty useful. This was the only section that I had a problem with time. At the end I just guessed C for at least 4 of the questions.

Post Test Survey: This ten question survey before the scores is sooo nerve wracking. My hands were literally shaking as I clicked random answers. After the 10th question I actually put up one of my note boards on the screen hiding my scores cause I didn't know if I was ready to see them yet or not! But then I saw them...

BIO 390 96.8 percentile
GENCHEM 350 88.0
ORGO 400 100.0
READING C. 340 85.9
PHYSICS 310 66.1 (lol)
QUANT REAS 330 80.0
TS 370 94.8
AA 350 93.8

Kaplan VS. Actual OAT
So for study materials I used the big Kaplan blue book, the online materials it comes with and Chads videos. I studied for about 3 1/2 months for this test. The first month I went through the whole book, spending a week on each section and taking notes. I made a schedule in which I finished a whole section in a week, dividing up the chapters. The second month I bought Chads videos and these helped alot! You pay just $50 for 30 days and you get access to all the videos and quizzes. I couldn't finish it all in a month so I actually had to pay another $50 for another month. Chad provides outlines that go along with his videos. I printed those out and took notes from his videos on this. After that I took them all and put them in a binder. Final month all I did was practice tests and review notes.

Compared to Kaplan, I say the actual test is a little easier. Maybe it seemed easier because of all the practice but I did score higher on the actual test than my Kaplan practice tests (KPC). On the KPCs my scores ranged from 320-340. I had three consistent 340s. Then I retook one of them and got a 360.

Honestly this test is not too hard if you dedicate your time and study for it. Know your concepts and practice, practice, practice and you'll do great!

Now that I've gotten my score I'm planning on applying starting July 2015 for the 2016 school year. I don't know which schools I should aim for. Which ones are the "best" ones? Which schools would my scores be competitive for? If anyone has any suggestions please let me know :)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Omg thank you so much for this!!!! I am taking the test in July and it's just so hard to stick to a study plan while in school. I already got the nerves just from reading your post haha, but congratulations on all your hard work! Very very good scores :) so jealous you're done with the oat

Members don't see this ad :)
So the day before my test all I did was read other "My Oat Experience" posts and it really helped me to see what other people went through and how their scores reflected their practice. So I decided to write my own experience story for others who are going through the same thing I was.

The day before my test I didn't do any hardcore studying at all. I just looked over my review sheets that I made and some flashcards and of course read all the forum posts on here.

The day of the test I woke up at 9 (my test was at 12:30) ate a good breakfast, looked over my notes and packed a small bag with some granola bars, IDs, and a copy of the confirmation email. I left my house at 11:30 and got to the testing center at 12. The check in process was quick and the staff was really nice. For the test you need two IDs and they have to be signed. My credit card wasn't signed so I had to go back to my car, sign it, and then come back into the testing center. The receptionist then gave me a confidentiality paper. I took this time to use the bathroom before they called me in. After the small bathroom break, I put all my stuff in the locker and they called me into the next "waiting room". Here they checked me in on another computer, used the metal detector wand, and gave me some note boards as scratch paper. They're basically laminated yellow graph paper. The markers they give you aren't dry erase but the ones that need water to be erased. When you run out of space you just ask for more note boards.

Now it was time for the test. I was so nervous!! I sat down at my computer and started the tutorial. I took this time to calm myself down and to write down some formulas/facts about the sciences section. Just stuff from on the top of my mind to get my brain in the science mode. After the tutorial, it began...

Biology: This section was the section that I did really good on in my practice tests, and since my major was Biology in college, it was the section that I didn't really need to study for. The questions weren't that hard and not "tricky" and were taken from all sections of bio (taxonomy, genetics, physiology, etc). The plant stuff wasn't my strong point and thankfully I didn't get many of those questions. Overall this section was pretty easy for me.

Gen Chem: Again, if you study and know your material, it's not bad. Both calculation and concept based questions.

Orgo: This class was the death of me during my undergrad but surprisingly I did really well on this section. Know your reactions of course!! I spent all my time studying reactions for this section and it paid off.

RC: On my practice tests, this section was one of the worst for me. The passages on the Kaplan practice tests were more difficult than the ones I got on the actual test. The three passages were easy to understand and the questions were fair. My strategy for this section works for me but maybe it could work for someone else so I'll tell. For each of the passages I go through the questions first. I write down keywords from each question on my scratch paper/note board. Then I start reading the passage. As each of the keywords from my notes comes up I write the paragraph number next to the corresponding key word. Then when I go through answering the questions I know which paragraph to look in to find the answer.

Break: Take the full time for the break!! I went and ate a snack, drank water, and used the restroom. When I came back to my computer I had five minutes left on the clock. I asked for new note boards at this point and one of the staff members kindly gave me two new ones. I took this time to write down any and all of the physics formulas I could remember. And then I just sat there for the rest of the time calming my nerves down. Then the clock read 03, 02, 01, 00

Physics: It was time for the dreaded physics section. This was my WORST section on my practice tests and as it turns out the worst on my actual test too. On my practice tests i was making a score less than 300 on this section and I was so worried for the physics section. The first time I went through the section I triaged/skipped and marked sooo many questions. Majority of the questions were calculation based along with some conceptual questions too. The posts I read on here said that the actual physics section on the test is easier than the Kaplan tests, but I didn't find that to be the case. The physics section was just as hard for me...

QR: This section supposedly was dreadful for many people but for me it wasn't toooo bad. Yeah there were many questions that took time to solve and for those I skipped the first round going through the questions. I aimed to solve the questions that didn't need much time solving and then went through the rest. You can't really study for this section but I would suggest to practice as much as possible. There is a calculator on this section and it seems to help some people and throws off other people. For me, it was pretty useful. This was the only section that I had a problem with time. At the end I just guessed C for at least 4 of the questions.

Post Test Survey: This ten question survey before the scores is sooo nerve wracking. My hands were literally shaking as I clicked random answers. After the 10th question I actually put up one of my note boards on the screen hiding my scores cause I didn't know if I was ready to see them yet or not! But then I saw them...

BIO 390 96.8 percentile
GENCHEM 350 88.0
ORGO 400 100.0
READING C. 340 85.9
PHYSICS 310 66.1 (lol)
QUANT REAS 330 80.0
TS 370 94.8
AA 350 93.8

Kaplan VS. Actual OAT
So for study materials I used the big Kaplan blue book, the online materials it comes with and Chads videos. I studied for about 3 1/2 months for this test. The first month I went through the whole book, spending a week on each section and taking notes. I made a schedule in which I finished a whole section in a week, dividing up the chapters. The second month I bought Chads videos and these helped alot! You pay just $50 for 30 days and you get access to all the videos and quizzes. I couldn't finish it all in a month so I actually had to pay another $50 for another month. Chad provides outlines that go along with his videos. I printed those out and took notes from his videos on this. After that I took them all and put them in a binder. Final month all I did was practice tests and review notes.

Compared to Kaplan, I say the actual test is a little easier. Maybe it seemed easier because of all the practice but I did score higher on the actual test than my Kaplan practice tests (KPC). On the KPCs my scores ranged from 320-340. I had three consistent 340s. Then I retook one of them and got a 360.

Honestly this test is not too hard if you dedicate your time and study for it. Know your concepts and practice, practice, practice and you'll do great!

Now that I've gotten my score I'm planning on applying starting July 2015 for the 2016 school year. I don't know which schools I should aim for. Which ones are the "best" ones? Which schools would my scores be competitive for? If anyone has any suggestions please let me know :)

GOOD LUCK!!!
Good job on the OAT! With those scores I think you can get into any opto school. If I may ask, what is your GPA? Competitive schools also want to see that you did your research on optometry, shadowed at least 3 different modalities, participated in school clubs etc... Which part of the country are you looking to go to school in? The reputable schools are SUNY and Berkeley as the top tier. Really, all US schools (except I would stay clear of the new ones) are good but those two in my opinion are known to be top notch.

Wow great motivation for me, Im just now starting to study for the OATs and plan on taking my test in august - september. I hope this is enough time.. As you guys are studying from the Kaplan Books (or any book), how are you guys really studying?? Just Reading? or taking notes on paper/computer? or highlighting?

Also, I have a strong GPA from undergrad but I didn't participate in clubs or much extra curricular activities. I only researched in a research lab for 2 years. I'm kind of concerned about my low participation in other activities. Any advice??

Wow great motivation for me, Im just now starting to study for the OATs and plan on taking my test in august - september. I hope this is enough time.. As you guys are studying from the Kaplan Books (or any book), how are you guys really studying?? Just Reading? or taking notes on paper/computer? or highlighting?

Also, I have a strong GPA from undergrad but I didn't participate in clubs or much extra curricular activities. I only researched in a research lab for 2 years. I'm kind of concerned about my low participation in other activities. Any advice??

Hey Jalam,

So while I was reading the big Kaplan book I took notes as I went along. I wrote down everything that was new to me, or stuff that I needed to remember. Every week I went over these notes. Also when I took practice tests, I read the explanations of all the questions I had gotten wrong, and I made a note of why I had gotten that wrong (ex. I wrote down what I didn't know that caused me to get the answer wrong).

As for the extra curricular, I'm actually in the same boat as you. I was actually pre-med before I switched over to pre opt, so I have some extra curriculars like volunteering at a hospital, red cross, and a pre health organization but I didn't have that much participation like you.