My composite is the same, but the numbers rearranged, is this bad??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, in April I received a 28... 7 V, 10 P, 11B, Q. That seven really pissed me off and I took it again. I had spoken with Univ of KY and Univ of Louisville and they said I would get an interview but that the 7 did seem odd. They said I could take it over if I figured I'd go up. Now I have a 10 V, 8 P, 10 B, R.
Now, the 10 is way better than the 7 I do know that, but what about Physical--I went down 2 points. The bio I dont care, one point is not a big deal. Will the admissions commitee get pissy about the lowering of the phys score or will they like it because its more consistent? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion...
A 28 is a 28. You have the same score as before but you raised it where it matters most. Verbal! If that was their concern, I am sure they will be pleased. Don't worry too much.

I would be happier with your 2nd set of scores because they are more consistent across the board and all very respectable scores. Good job on raising that Verbal & good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you mind me asking, how did you raise the verbal so much? Any good study tips? Thanks

Whoever said that a 28 is a 28 is totally, 100% WRONG! A 10V 8P 10B is way better than a 7V 10P 11B!! Medical schools like balanced scores and they HATE a 7 verbal. You can get accepted to medical school with a 10V 8P 10B, but I think you'd have a really hard time with a 7V 10P 11B.

So be happy! You did good. Congratulations.
;)

Thanks guys, you are making me feel so much better!!

Bluefish--as far as study tips, I did a TON of practice passages from TPR. My problem the first time was that I ran out of time even though I had gotten 9s-11s on all of my practice tests. So this time around, I did a few every morning for a while, working on reading through them as fast as I could while still understanding them. Then closer to MCAT time, I did 5-9 passages every morning. My goal was to do 8 or 9 in an hour that way I'd be left with time to go back and check over my answers. It worked! I had plenty of time to spare in the actual test to check over everything.

The perception by medical schools is to actually weigh the VR score twice heavier than the other two multiple-choice sections. This is because in 1989, a study was commisioned to evaluate the efficacy of the VR in determining performance in Medical Schools, specifically the USMLE Step 1 exams. The correlation was extremely strong with the VR section and performance as a doctor in training. As a result, all medical schools use VR as a minimum indicator and a score like yours would qualify far better than the previous one. Ask committee members at medical schools, they'll hesitate and relent that it's the truth. :D

If the preceding is true..then why have I yet to find a school where the average verbal score is higher than the average P and B section scores? (Don't give me any SD hogwash.) Worst argument ever.

Joon Lee,

While I do know that some schools place more weight on the VR section, stating that "all medical schools use VR as a minimum indicator" is simply false. Generalizations concerning any aspect of the medical school application process tend to be dangerous.

That said, I agree with you and others that KyGrlDr2B's second set of scores are better.

Good luck KyGrlDr2B!

it's because you only need to be better than 64% of the test takers to get a 10 in the sciences, but 74% better to get a 10 in the verbal. thus a 9,10,10 is actually an "even" score. that's why schools usually have lower verbal scores, less people get them!

cm7b5: The answer to your question is that the verbal is scaled a lot differently than the P and B sections. A 10 in verbal is a lot harder to get than a 10 in bio or phys. You can't compare an 11 in verbal to an 11 in phys or bio... far fewer people get an 11 in verbal than get an 11 in phys or bio. Look at the percentiles.

Well, how unbalanced would scores have to be to concern one? I'd hate to bring my case up, but how do you think 8,14,11,L goes with adcoms?
(I was asked about my VR and WS in my interview, and the interviewer was satisfied with my answer---it wasnt an excuse)
Any comments welcome.

(I was asked about my VR and WS in my interview, and the interviewer was satisfied with my answer---it wasnt an excuse)

Res. Alien - What reason did you give?

Alien: Um... I'm sure you'll get into an MD medical school, but I think you're going to have a hard time explaining the verbal and writing. I think if you retook it and brought up the verbal (even just 1 point) you could be looking at some really good medical schools.
congats on those killer science scores :)

csgirl take a look at this.....from MCAT 22 (AUG 2001)

Percent Achieving Score: Verbal 13-15 - 1.6 12 - 2.7 11 - 10.4 10 - 12.3 9 - 16.6 8 - 14.6 7 - 13.2 6 - 13.1

Physical 15 - .2 14 - 1.1 13 - 2.9 12 - 4.8 11 - 6.9 10 - 13.6 9 - 12.1 8 - 17.3 7 - 15.8 6 - 13.3

Bio 15 - .2 14 - .7 13 - 2.8 12 - 4.8 11 - 8.3 10 - 17.4 9 - 19.1 8 - 15.5 7 - 9.1 6 - 8.2

Writing T - .7 S - 3.6 R - 8.8 Q - 17.5 P - 13.1 O - 13.6 N - 11.4 M - 18.3 L - 7.8 K - 3.2 J - 2.0

cm7b5: Hm... interesting. I guess that shows that an 11 is an 11. However, I know for sure that medical schools consider verbal the most important score. One reason is because there's a strong correlation between the verbal scores and USLME step 1 scores. I also know that medical schools like balanced scores... so getting back to the OP. I still think her second scores are way better.

Originally posted by bluefish:
•(I was asked about my VR and WS in my interview, and the interviewer was satisfied with my answer---it wasnt an excuse)

Res. Alien - What reason did you give?•

I told her that it was the luck of the draw...and that there was more than one way to evaluate a student. She agreed!

Luck of the draw? I'm confused. You guessed a lot on the MCAT?

hehe, no. What i meant was that i tested well on PS and BS in areas i was good in, and that the VR was always a mixed bag for me. This time around, it got me.
When i said that students could be tested a variety of ways, the interviewer agreed with me.
:)

Do you guys think that a 12,9,9 would be better than a 10,10,10? Is it better to score higher in Verbal than the other sections?

Wow. Good answer, good answer.

KyGrlDr2B,

My opinion is coming as a newly accepted UK applicant. You don't have a thing in the world to worry about at either UK or UofL. Period. I know very many folks with scores below yours, without a 10 in even one section, who got in last year and this year. If you're applying as an in-state resident, and are personable (nothing personal, but I read your web page, and you seem to have plenty of anger to go around, especially the last few lines???), you'll surely get in.

Don't worry about those scores if getting into UK or UofL will satisfy you. (It satisfied me :))