My DAT Scheduling - Help Plz!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wansuen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically I scheduled myself to take the DAT tomorrow because I wanted to get my application completed as soon as possible, but the problem is that I really don't feel ready (I've been scoring like 14s and 15s in the sciences with topscore...) and it is past the 48 hr period to reschedule it. I was thinking I would just not show and retake it again a little later. I know I'll lose some money, but I think it's better than doing really bad on the DAT.

I really need to do well on the DAT because of my bad undergrad GPA of 2.7 according to my university. (I'm currently working on a MS in biotech. and getting a 3.8 so far). I was hoping I could just cram because I should have learned all this stuff before, but it just isn't working out so well...

So my main question is that even though I scheduled the test for tomorrow, because I won't show, I can schedule another one at the next open date correct? I don't have to wait the 90 days as if I had actually taken the test.

And my last question is if I do take it, can I use whatever score i get to apply (not telling them I'll retake it so that they'll look at my application sooner), then ask the schools to reconsider me when i retake it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You only want to take the DAT once. Ya a lot of people retake it, but it looks the best if you only have to take the exam once and do well on it.
If you feel like you are not ready then i would say delay taking the exam. Try delaying your exam date until the end of May or early June. If you submit your application on May 15th, the schools would still receive your DAT scores when they receive your application. Since it takes AADSAS about 6 weeks to put together your application and the ADA only about 2 weeks to send out your scores.

If you do decide to retake the exam the schools will look at both scores but only consider your most recent attempt. if you try to hide the fact that you had already taken the DAT, this does not look good.
you want to expose everything you can so they don't bring up any questions later on. I would say reschedule for a later date, sure you will lose some money, but it is better to be prepared than to wait 90 days to retake the exam and pay the fee again.

Thanks, but one of my main concerns is that I waited to late to reschedule or cancel the appointment. (So I'm gonna lose the whole amount of money anyway) But if I simply don't show up, they aren't going to make me wait 90 days to take it right?

Thanks, but one of my main concerns is that I waited to late to reschedule or cancel the appointment. (So I'm gonna lose the whole amount of money anyway) But if I simply don't show up, they aren't going to make me wait 90 days to take it right?

The DAT examinee guide says that "for test administration purposes, anyone who has been seated at a workstation at a Prometric Test Center and started the test by electronically agreeing to the confidentiality statement will be considered as having 'attended' the test." Now this section pertains to rules on taking the test more than three times. BUT, if the ADA doesn't consider you has having 'attended' unless you actually show up, it would imply that you also would not be subject to the 90 day wait. This, of course, is just my best guess.

Just the same, I'm not sure it matters. You are MUCH better off waiting 90 days and doing well than taking it now and bombing it. If you have to wait, you'll still be eligible to take the DAT in early to mid August which certainly is not too late.