My DAT Scores!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_a_rose2238

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I took the DAT yesterday and after seeing all of the 22s 23s 25s on here I felt a tad disappointed that my AA was more average. I wasn't going to do a breakdown or anything but I figured what the heck I studied too damn hard for this test not to feel proud of myself. :love: Perhaps my DAT story will be entertaining or maybe something I have to say can help.

Here's what I got:
AA: 20
TS: 21
PAT:19
BIO: 22
GenChem:21
OChem: 20
RC: 19 ?:/
QR: 18

*First off, I'm lucky I made it in the morning of my test because some of the craziest stuff happened the night before. My roommate and I ended up with a random student at our door who had been stabbed and didn't have a phone. I swear I can't even make this stuff up! **He's IS fine and we got him help** but I didn't sleep because of all of this and I was definitely freaked out by the whole thing.

Anyway...
I got to the testing center and just felt awful but I was determined to put everything to the back of my mind and focus on the most important test of my life.

Bio: 22: Cliff's, Feralis, Bootcamp, Destroyer X2, Crashcourse (thanks Hank!!), and Coursesaver DAT Biology videos

I'm happy with this score. Similar to what many others have said, the questions are either very simple or worded funny so that you start to second guess yourself but in general they are pretty broad. I will say three of my questions seemed to come right out of destroyer which made me extremely happy that I went through it twice!

GenChem: 21: Chad's Vids(amazing comprehensive review), Destroyer, Bootcamp,

Hardly any calculation problems but definitely some tricky conceptual problems. I thought this section was most similar to bootcamp (minus the heavy calculation
IMG_3817.jpg
).

Ochem: 20: Chads, Destroyer, Bootcamp

This is where things started to fall apart for me. If there was a section I thought I could get a 30 in, it was ochem. However, my test was extremely difficult and oddly specific. I never would have dreamed that I would face an ochem section like this. For everyone I've seen, the consensus seems to be that ochem on the DAT is much like bootcamp and, for what ever reason, mine was way different.
This is where Destroyer is a MUST. Some people think it isn't necessary but the difficulty of this thing varies and you have to be ready for the hardest stuff they can throw at you. I only wish I had gone through it a second time to really solidify things.

PAT: 19
I don't have much to say about this section. I was never excellent at PAT. Bootcamp is very representative of the DAT minus the awful software the have going on (on the DAT...bootcamp software is great). I was averaging around a 21 on PAT and as it got closer to the time of my test I stopped focusing on it to hit my weaknesses hard. I guess this is why I saw a drop. I had a cube counting structure that was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. No matter how many times I looked away or rubbed my eyes I could not tell what the heck was going on there.

*Break: At this point I 100% thought I bombed ochem. As crazy as it sounds after seeing my actual score I was convinced I didn't even make a 17. All I could think about was all the hard work I had put into this going down the drain because of one section. I started to panic and it seemed like everything from the night before, no sleep, and just all the stress of this future-determining test hit me at once and I had a mini breakdown. I'm usually not one to do this so I tried my absolute best to pull it together and go back in to finish what I had started.

Reading: 19: Bootcamp only

Classic example of how much damage getting all worked up can do. I took four bootcamp tests after finding a method that worked for me and scored above 23 on all of them.
I was shaking so bad and just felt so spacey and unfocused. The more behind I got on a passage the more I freaked out and the harder it was to pay attention to what I was reading. Needless to say I was so happy to be done with the torture this section put me through but I knew that I did NOT perform to the best of my ability and obviously feared the absolute worst.
I know this is a strong suit of mine and this score could have really helped my AA. Ugh! It is what it is. :smack:

QR: 18: Bootcamp, Math Destroyer, A mixture of the different materials you all suggested

By this time I had calmed down and managed to regain some focus. I am honestly happy with this score. From my disastrous 2009 score it is a huge improvement. I focused the last couple of days on QR alone and learned so much. Once again, the time got me. Building speed is just something that takes time. I thought it was easier than bootcamp but some of the word problems take so much time!! Skip those even if you know how to do them and go back! I had to guess on the last five or six and they were freakin median/mode easy questions. Yeah, I was pretty annoyed with myself. The quantitative comparison questions were much more straight forward than bootcamp. I know that schools would rather see a low score in QR than a low score in one of the sciences so it is what it is. Thank you to ALL that offered me fresh material, advice, and encouragement for QR. :)

**I had legit tears as I was going through the end survey and was prepared to go home and start studying for the next time I had to take this dumb thing. As it turned out I didn't do so bad. I came out puffy-eyed and mentally exhausted when the lady who watches the cameras ask if I was okay. I chuckled as I imagined what it must have been like to watch the dramatic ass show I put on in front of that thing. After all this mess I went home and crashed so hard.

I'M FREEEEEEEE :soexcited:

SO... If you are an anxious person, make sure that you have some way of calming yourself down in situations like this. I wish I did! At the end of the day and in the grand scheme of things, this is just a test.
Also, I kept reading on here that people were soooo sure that they failed a certain section during the break time and it turns out just fine for them. I don't know why I thought I was an exception to this with an actual 15 on ochem. You don't know how they score the test and you are bound to remember the difficult questions more than the easy ones you got right. Making assumptions will just get you in your head. You have to remain calm or you'll end up panicking (like me).

I know my scores aren't stellar but I put so much time and effort into this. I had my moment to mourn the loss of that 23 I thought I was going to get but I can confidently say that I am happy. SDN has been a constant source of encouragement for me! I had friends that would get so upset when I couldn't hang out and just couldn't fathom why I would quit life for 2 months to study for a test. Getting on here always reminds me that I'm not crazy and I'm not alone!

Ask me anything! I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the exam :)

-ALI:biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Yay! You're done! Congratulations! You should definitely NOT feel bad about these scores. They are solid and consistent. Good luck when you apply :)

Reactions: 1 user
Could I ask you what your practice exam scores were like? particularly bootcamp/2009 ADA?
I took the 2009 about three weeks before my test:

Bio: 20
GenChem: 21
Ochem: 21
PAT: 26 :( I thought it was way easier than the actual DAT
RC: I missed 8? Idk. the conversion chart I had was confusing and I couldn't tell how to calculate it.
QR: Well. I got upset and pretty much gave up on this section. So I did absolutely horrible!

Bootcamp tests I used more for practice and learning. But toward the end I was averaging 22s and up on all of my sciences. I made a 30 on one of the last ochem tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Those are great scores! Did you feel that Biology wasn't too bad? This is the section I am most nervous about. Advice on how to best prepare for it?

SIGHHH, i have my test in a few weeks, and it kinda freaks me OUT to read posts like this about the real exam being harder than dbc/practice exams. Or when testers score lower compared to practice tests, which seems to be the general trend in the last few days of dat breakdowns :(....

FREAKKINGGG OUTTTT MANNN....

your scores aren't too shabby though!

Congrats! Those are great scores! Did you feel that Biology wasn't too bad? This is the section I am most nervous about. Advice on how to best prepare for it?

Biology wasn't near as bad as I expected! I'm sure difficulty varies but I had some incredibly simple definition questions. And everything I got on photosynthesis/cellular respiration/mitosis/meiosis was surface level! Theres always that one or two questions that are super random. I would have never thought to study some of that stuff. Again, this was like two questions. I thought bootcamp was harder! :)

Biology wasn't near as bad as I expected! I'm sure difficulty varies but I had some incredibly simple definition questions. And everything I got on photosynthesis/cellular respiration/mitosis/meiosis was surface level! Theres always that one or two questions that are super random. I would have never thought to study some of that stuff. Again, this was like two questions. I thought bootcamp was harder! :)
Oh good to hear! Thank you and good luck this cycle! :)

Hi everyone,

I took the DAT yesterday and after seeing all of the 22s 23s 25s on here I felt a tad disappointed that my AA was more average. I wasn't going to do a breakdown or anything but I figured what the heck I studied too damn hard for this test not to feel proud of myself. :love: Perhaps my DAT story will be entertaining or maybe something I have to say can help.

Here's what I got:

*First off, I'm lucky I made it in the morning of my test because some of the craziest stuff happened the night before. My roommate and I ended up with a random student at our door who had been stabbed and didn't have a phone. I swear I can't even make this stuff up! **He's IS fine and we got him help** but I didn't sleep because of all of this and I was definitely freaked out by the whole thing.

Anyway...
I got to the testing center and just felt awful but I was determined to put everything to the back of my mind and focus on the most important test of my life.

Bio: 22: Cliff's, Feralis, Bootcamp, Destroyer X2, Crashcourse (thanks Hank!!), and Coursesaver DAT Biology videos

I'm happy with this score. Similar to what many others have said, the questions are either very simple or worded funny so that you start to second guess yourself but in general they are pretty broad. I will say three of my questions seemed to come right out of destroyer which made me extremely happy that I went through it twice!

Hardly any calculation problems but definitely some tricky conceptual problems. I thought this section was most similar to bootcamp (minus the heavy calculationView attachment 222082 ).

This is where things started to fall apart for me. If there was a section I thought I could get a 30 in, it was ochem. However, my test was extremely difficult and oddly specific. I never would have dreamed that I would face an ochem section like this. For everyone I've seen, the consensus seems to be that ochem on the DAT is much like bootcamp and, for what ever reason, mine was way different.
This is where Destroyer is a MUST. Some people think it isn't necessary but the difficulty of this thing varies and you have to be ready for the hardest stuff they can throw at you. I only wish I had gone through it a second time to really solidify things.

I don't have much to say about this section. I was never excellent at PAT. Bootcamp is very representative of the DAT minus the awful software the have going on (on the DAT...bootcamp software is great). I was averaging around a 21 on PAT and as it got closer to the time of my test I stopped focusing on it to hit my weaknesses hard. I guess this is why I saw a drop. I had a cube counting structure that was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. No matter how many times I looked away or rubbed my eyes I could not tell what the heck was going on there.

*Break: At this point I 100% thought I bombed ochem. As crazy as it sounds after seeing my actual score I was convinced I didn't even make a 17. All I could think about was all the hard work I had put into this going down the drain because of one section. I started to panic and it seemed like everything from the night before, no sleep, and just all the stress of this future-determining test hit me at once and I had a mini breakdown. I'm usually not one to do this so I tried my absolute best to pull it together and go back in to finish what I had started.

Classic example of how much damage getting all worked up can do. I took four bootcamp tests after finding a method that worked for me and scored above 23 on all of them.
I was shaking so bad and just felt so spacey and unfocused. The more behind I got on a passage the more I freaked out and the harder it was to pay attention to what I was reading. Needless to say I was so happy to be done with the torture this section put me through but I knew that I did NOT perform to the best of my ability and obviously feared the absolute worst.
I know this is a strong suit of mine and this score could have really helped my AA. Ugh! It is what it is. :smack:

QR: 18: Bootcamp, Math Destroyer, A mixture of the different materials you all suggested

By this time I had calmed down and managed to regain some focus. I am honestly happy with this score. From my disastrous 2009 score it is a huge improvement. I focused the last couple of days on QR alone and learned so much. Once again, the time got me. Building speed is just something that takes time. I thought it was easier than bootcamp but some of the word problems take so much time!! Skip those even if you know how to do them and go back! I had to guess on the last five or six and they were freakin median/mode easy questions. Yeah, I was pretty annoyed with myself. The quantitative comparison questions were much more straight forward than bootcamp. I know that schools would rather see a low score in QR than a low score in one of the sciences so it is what it is. Thank you to ALL that offered me fresh material, advice, and encouragement for QR. :)

**I had legit tears as I was going through the end survey and was prepared to go home and start studying for the next time I had to take this dumb thing. As it turned out I didn't do so bad. I came out puffy-eyed and mentally exhausted when the lady who watches the cameras ask if I was okay. I chuckled as I imagined what it must have been like to watch the dramatic ass show I put on in front of that thing. After all this mess I went home and crashed so hard.

SO... If you are an anxious person, make sure that you have some way of calming yourself down in situations like this. I wish I did! At the end of the day and in the grand scheme of things, this is just a test.
Also, I kept reading on here that people were soooo sure that they failed a certain section during the break time and it turns out just fine for them. I don't know why I thought I was an exception to this with an actual 15 on ochem. You don't know how they score the test and you are bound to remember the difficult questions more than the easy ones you got right. Making assumptions will just get you in your head. You have to remain calm or you'll end up panicking (like me).

I know my scores aren't stellar but I put so much time and effort into this. I had my moment to mourn the loss of that 23 I thought I was going to get but I can confidently say that I am happy. SDN has been a constant source of encouragement for me! I had friends that would get so upset when I couldn't hang out and just couldn't fathom why I would quit life for 2 months to study for a test. Getting on here always reminds me that I'm not crazy and I'm not alone!

Ask me anything! I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the exam :)

Congratulations! Yes you are free!!! You put in the hard work and remained calm even when you were faced with the most challenging of Organic..That is why I constantly remind students all DAT exams are not the same. Sounds like you got a tough version.

You should be very proud of these scores! These scores will bring interviews..Just make sure your application is in order with a strong personal statement.

Thank you so much for sharing your DAT experience it will help others.

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

SIGHHH, i have my test in a few weeks, and it kinda freaks me OUT to read posts like this about the real exam being harder than dbc/practice exams. Or when testers score lower compared to practice tests, which seems to be the general trend in the last few days of dat breakdowns :(....

Yeah! It was definitely disappointing. And it's annoying that the difficulty can vary so much. The week leading up to the exam I felt SO confident on my sciences and reading. However, had I gotten a decent amount of sleep and not totally freaked out I think I would have done better. What I am really happy about is the fact that I gave myself a buffer. *I postponed this test two times* lol I was making 24s and didn't do as well as I thought so I got a 20. Would've been a lot worse if I took it on June 27th and didn't do as well! Would have put me at a 17. Don't get discouraged! If you are preparing well rely on that for your comfort and do nooooootttt get freaked out during the test haha!! A ton of people do better on the test than practice tests! Good Luck! You got this!

Great scores!! Don't be disappointed, because you did amazing! I didn't bother with Destroyer because it is really specific and I heard it is better to focus on breadth over depth. Good luck with your application.

One more question, for those 2 "random questions", were they questions that could be found on feralis's bio study guide, or would you have needed internet access to get the answer?

Two days before my actual DAT, I took the 2009 ADA.
My scores were:
Bio 19
GC 21
OC 14
PAT 22
RC 18
QR 17

Two days later, my real exam scores were:
Bio 18
GC 21
OC 18
PAT 23
RC 21
QR 21

I was freaking out, but I told myself that it was a fluke and to be confident in my preparation. It paid off! Don't get discouraged and keep focusing on areas that you aren't confident on.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Two days before my actual DAT, I took the 2009 ADA.
My scores were:
Bio 19
GC 21
OC 14
PAT 22
RC 18
QR 17

Two days later, my real exam scores were:
Bio 18
GC 21
OC 18
PAT 23
RC 21
QR 21

I was freaking out, but I told myself that it was a fluke and to be confident in my preparation. It paid off! Don't get discouraged and keep focusing on areas that you aren't confident on.
And also! People shouldn't forget that there are mistakes in the 2009 exam! Those can cause you to have lower scores on it and freak you out. Always be confident in yourself :)

Reactions: 3 users
One more question, for those 2 "random questions", were they questions that could be found on feralis's bio study guide, or would you have needed internet access to get the answer?

I read Feralis's and omg so helpful but just didn't cover these questions. I honestly can't even remember both of those questions. Out of all my bio classes I didn't even have a clue what one of them was asking. I just remembered when in doubt pick C. Haha! The other one wasn't confusing or anything I just didn't know the answer. I narrowed it down to two and picked what I thought sounded better! A lot of those types of questions you can at least eliminate 3 because they just don't seem right. Don't get freaked out by not knowing a question. It's bio. They can throw anything at you. KNOW your basics well. I spent so much time learning tiny details I freaked out because I felt super sketchy about an answer I put for photosynthesis. I knew I had read it in Cliff's but it had been a while since I had reviewed it!

Reactions: 2 users
I read Feralis's and omg so helpful but just didn't cover these questions. I honestly can't even remember both of those questions. Out of all my bio classes I didn't even have a clue what one of them was asking. I just remembered when in doubt pick C. Haha! The other one wasn't confusing or anything I just didn't know the answer. I narrowed it down to two and picked what I thought sounded better! A lot of those types of questions you can at least eliminate 3 because they just don't seem right. Don't get freaked out by not knowing a question. It's bio. They can throw anything at you. KNOW your basics well. I spent so much time learning tiny details I freaked out because I felt super sketchy about an answer I put for photosynthesis. I knew I had read it in Cliff's but it had been a while since I had reviewed it!

Dang.... for the sake of DAT confidentiality i'm not going to drill you to remember, but do you think you could classify it into a topic that the ada told us to study? Like would it be related to microbiology? Or would it be connected to hemotology? immunology?

I'm still finishing up on the bio part, but there hasn't been a question yet that made me go "where tf did that come from?" in either dbc or destroyer, so Im not sure what these questions would look like.

Haha, when in doubt pick C, but they already know that.

Awesome job. Beautiful scores, we are proud of you!

Next step is getting accepted :)

Best of luck!

Best of luck!

Best of luck!

Aw! So encouraging! :joyful: Thank you so much! Good luck to you as well!!!

Hi everyone,

Here's what I got:

Anyway...

Hardly any calculation problems but definitely some tricky conceptual problems. I thought this section was most similar to bootcamp (minus the heavy calculationView attachment 222082 ).

Hey! Congrats on finishing the exam and great scores. I was wondering if you remember how many specific trig and geometry questions did you have on QR section? Like what you said, I am looking to skip most of the trig and geometry questions on destroyer as they are not huge part of QR now. Please let me know when you get a chance. My exam ins in two weeks.

Hey! Congrats on finishing the exam and great scores. I was wondering if you remember how many specific trig and geometry questions did you have on QR section? Like what you said, I am looking to skip most of the trig and geometry questions on destroyer as they are not huge part of QR now. Please let me know when you get a chance. My exam ins in two weeks.

I've heard that trig is still on some exams but I didn't have a single trig question. I had a couple of geometry questions but they are more about the algebra (like finding perimeter given area...stuff like that). :) A good portion of the test is quantitative comparison!

I've heard that trig is still on some exams but I didn't have a single trig question. I had a couple of geometry questions but they are more about the algebra (like finding perimeter given area...stuff like that). :) A good portion of the test is quantitative comparison!
Thank you. What resources did you use to prepare for it? Just Dat Bootcamp?

Thank you. What resources did you use to prepare for it? Just Dat Bootcamp?
I used math destroyer when I was really trying to learn trig......I switched to bootcamp and did half of the tests un-timed. I think bootcamp really helped in terms of just learning how to do the problems...after I was kinda out of material I used a mix of some really helpful resources that people suggested on here! It wasn't that difficult just don't let time get you! lol

I used math destroyer when I was really trying to learn trig......I switched to bootcamp and did half of the tests un-timed. I think bootcamp really helped in terms of just learning how to do the problems...after I was kinda out of material I used a mix of some really helpful resources that people suggested on here! It wasn't that difficult just don't let time get you! lol
Thanks a lot!