My DAT study materials list—what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denizen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start studying for the DAT; I plan on taking it at the end of winter break, since this will give me a little bit of time after fall semester ends to study with no other commitments. I'm planning on doing the bulk of my studying simultaneously with fall classes. I've come up with this plan because I want to apply to dental school as soon as the cycle opens this spring, as opposed to taking the DAT after spring semester and (I imagine) applying a bit later in the cycle. Do you think this is a good idea, or should I study throughout the school year and take the DAT soon afterwards in spring? Would this indeed hinder my ability to apply as soon as possible? How big of a deal would that be?

Here are the study materials I plan to use; I've generated this list after doing some research on these forums.

1. CliffsAP Bio 3rd Ed. (I have this already)
2. Feralis notes (Also have this)
3. 2015 DAT Destroyer/Math Destroyer Combo Pack (Seems essential)
4. DAT Bootcamp (For realistic/timed practice tests? This is what this software is mainly about, right?)
5. Chad's Videos (For gen. chem/org. chem)

What do you think about this? I am also considering purchasing the CrackDATPAT software for PAT practice. I've read that DAT Bootcamp has some sort of practice mode for PAT; would that be sufficient, or would you recommend buying the CrackDATPAT as well?

Also, what would be the best way to use these materials? For bio, I plan on reading and taking notes on CliffsAP Bio, and probably continuing on to Feralis notes from there. For gen./org. chem, I am going to take notes on Chad's videos. I will use Math Destroyer for the math section. I am thinking that after I get some time with these things, I will start doing DAT Destroyer questions, untimed. I will finish it up with DAT Bootcamp near the end to get some practice with my timing. What would you suggest I do to practice for the reading section?

I apologize for this long first post and excessive amount of questions, but would appreciate any input! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can speak for all the materials listed 1-5 that they are all helpful and essential in learning the information and hammering the concepts down. I only used DAT bootcamp for PAT and it prepared me for the PAT section since it is usually either on par or harder than the actual DAT. Only part of the PAT it won't prepare you perfectly for is the keyhole as the actual DAT contains occasional rocks/crystal-like figures which I don't believe any practice material can prepare you for those. I also suggest if you have time during your schedule to do the DAT destroyer twice for each section if possible.
Your study schedule with these materials is almost exactly how I set up my study schedule and should be sufficient.

I agree with what @Wyby45 said about Bootcamp and the PAT section. I only used Bootcamp for PAT and felt it was more than enough practice.

It's great that you're giving yourself enough time to thoroughly go through each of the resources you listed above. 1-5 are the only materials I used myself (in addition to the 2007 and 2009 ADA Practice Exams, which are essential).

I think lightly studying throughout the Fall semester paired with strict studying during the 3-week Winter break will work out great! If I were you, I'd study with the expectation of taking the DAT at the end of Winter, and IF things don't work out accordingly, I'd push it back to the Spring.

Feralis' notes are extremely dense in material with a significant amount of detail, so I'd suggest tackling that first. Ideally you'd go through it 2-3 times. Even after the second or third time, it'd still be difficult to pick up on all the details offered. Try to get on it as soon as you can. Definitely don't overwhelm yourself since you'll be taking classes as well, but designate some time each week to read up on certain topics.

What I found most helpful was first going through Cliff's notes and taking notes. I went through this twice and it built a decent foundation. Then I went on to Feralis' notes which offers more detail.

Similarly with the chemistries, try starting off with Chad's videos since they will help built a great foundation. After going through it twice, you'll have about 75% of the basics down. Then you can move on to the more complicated problems in Destroyer.

As you mentioned, I'd save Bootcamp until the 3-week time frame during break. It's a great way for you to test your knowledge under time constraints.

RC is probably the most difficult to improve on, and it really comes down to how quickly you are able to get through the passages. Bootcamp RC felt incredibly difficult, BUT it definitely trained me well to work under pressure. For myself, the Bootcamp passages + 2007 RC + 2009 RC were enough.

If QR isn't a strong subject for you, I'd suggest watching Chad's QR videos first. I found them to be SO helpful. I hadn't taken QR in years and had forgotten most concepts. I started my studying jumping right into Math Destroyer and freaked out because I felt as though I couldn't answer anything. I saw Chad's QR videos and decided to give it shot. After watching them and doing the quizzes, I felt much more comfortable tackling the problems in Math Destroyer.

Members don't see this ad :)