My dilemma - Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow SDNers,

I have been going through one strange roller coaster ride in the last few weeks. Let me provide you with a little bit of a background. I graduated with a 3.78 after majoring in Information Technology. I completed my pre-med classes, did a lot of ECs, did research, and took my MCAT. I did well on the science sections but poor in verbal. I retook it. I did much better on the verbal but my sciences went way down. I applied to MD schools. I did not get any response except for an interview to GW. Coincidentally, my MCAT scores were so that they would be looked at favorably by GW as they take the best in each section. I end up getting alternate listed there. I waited for several months but enough movement failed to occur.

I made a plan that I would retake my MCAT as I reapply to US MD schools. If my MCAT did not go as well as I'd like it to, I'll simply apply to SGU and UQ/Ochsner. I don't mind studying abroad and I don't plan on staying in the US all my life. I took my third MCAT amidst a full time job and too many other commitments and distractions. I gave it my all. My third MCAT was the worst of them all. I had already been accepted to both SGU and UQ/Ochsner. I thought I was destined for either of those choices. Three days later, I get an interview invite from my top, dream school; GW. How did this happen? With my new MCAT score, I wasn't expecting anything. What just happened? This invite is for December. Oh my gosh. What the bloody hell do I do now? I was so set on going to SGU or UQ. It's like having the true love of your life coming back and deciding to give you a small chance as you begin to move on to other mates. It really brought me lots of mixed feelings and confusion. This is my dilemma. I also found out today that apparently once you accept an offer from non-AMCAS schools, you will automatically be rejected from AMCAS schools. Is this true? I have to reply to SGU or UQ by next week. I know Caribbean is a gamble, but it still manages to produce decent physicians. Going DO is fine but I'm afraid I don't have DO shadowing experience, I probably don't have the MCAT for it anymore, and I am still not too sure how I feel about that option. Besides, I kind of like the idea of combining my love of international settings and medicine by going to either SGU or UQ.

My MCAT scores:

MCAT1: 11 06 10 O
MCAT2: 07 10 08 N
MCAT3: 10 06 08 Q
1) What do I do?

2) SGU or UQ? How do I decide between the two? What kind of questions do I need to ask of myself to decide between the two?

3) Any other advice?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

by all means go for the us md schools. it is best in the end for instance when you apply for residency and so on. carribean med schools should be the last and final option. if i were you, i would pursue gw one more time :)

Can someone confirm if I can accept the SGU offer and still do the GW or not? How would either parties know what I am up to?