My Dilemma...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweet n sour

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the comments on my other threads. I had initially scheduled my step 2 CK for the last week of August and it would have been great if I had kept that date but some things came up and couldn't study for two weeks! so, I have postponed it to mid-Sept. now, my question is

1. Considering I am an IMG (step 1- 233, step 2 CS-passed), should I wait till I take step 2CK (in mid september) and then certify and submit my CAF(so I could atleast say "awaiting results" for step 2CK) or

2. Certify and submit everything on Sep 1st with just my step 1 score (which is not stellar but okay)

I dont know if PDs, once they download the application separate those that are incomplete and probably never consider them again even if the transcript is updated later. What if they dont download the update??. (I understand that some AMGs do wait till even after the match to take step 2 ...yes, i have read Andy's old threads :) but for IMGs it might not be a good idea to do wait.

and when do programs typically start downloading applications anyway?

Would greatly appreciate your comments.

Members don't see this ad.

No no no no no.

If nothing else, understand this much: Submit everything that you have, as soon as you can.

You don't have the option to say "awaiting results" in the CAF. It's a "Yes/No" item, unless you really want to specifically mention it in your personal statement. (I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to draw the program's attention to that -- the rest of your application should speak for itself -- but then again that is my opinion..)

I'm a Canadian grad with a convoluted academic history and am still quasi-IMG when it comes to US residency applications.

I wouldn't worry too much about incomplete apps - many applicants will have letters of recommendation pending, or a photo etc.

Don't forget the Dean's letter only comes out in November so most applications are technically "incomplete" until then anyway.

~
We can speculate all we like (and trust me, us new residents speculated lots in the last Match cycle!), but nobody really knows what happens to the applications. Individual programs do different things - some download all at once (but may not necessarily look at them till a certain date), some download every so often.

Since we're all fairly obsessive-compulsive to have got this far, be prepared to spend many fruitless hours compulsively checking ADTS to see which programs have downloaded what documents (as well as which programs haven't - which leads to more time wasted worrying over "WHY!??")

Scheme away! It's part of the game they have us play.
Just don't let it get to you too much.

sweet n sour said:
Hi

Thanks for the comments on my other threads. I had initially scheduled my step 2 CK for the last week of August and it would have been great if I had kept that date but some things came up and couldn't study for two weeks! so, I have postponed it to mid-Sept. now, my question is

1. Considering I am an IMG (step 1- 233, step 2 CS-passed), should I wait till I take step 2CK (in mid september) and then certify and submit my CAF(so I could atleast say "awaiting results" for step 2CK) or

2. Certify and submit everything on Sep 1st with just my step 1 score (which is not stellar but okay)

I dont know if PDs, once they download the application separate those that are incomplete and probably never consider them again even if the transcript is updated later. What if they dont download the update??. (I understand that some AMGs do wait till even after the match to take step 2 ...yes, i have read Andy's old threads :) but for IMGs it might not be a good idea to do wait.

and when do programs typically start downloading applications anyway?

Would greatly appreciate your comments.
Your step 1 score is good. And my advice regarding Step 2 partially stands but since you're an IMG, you will have more significant obstacles. So in your situation, perhaps taking Step 2 and doing well on it would help you out. However, I think the effect of this may not be as big as you would like.

As for applications, submit what you have early. Programs don't just download stuff once and then throw your stuff in a file never to see it again. Early in the application season, programs will also check ADTS regularly (or semi-regularly) to see if any other supporting materials have arrived. On November 1st, they will check ADTS again to download your Dean's Letter. So don't worry about that. Now, let's say you get a part of your application in during January...well programs may not be checking ADTS any more by that point, yes?

It never hurts to submit any completed parts of your application early so don't let anything hold you back.

Finally, to address your last question...each program varies. Some programs will download whatever you have as soon as things are uploaded into the ADTS post office. Other programs will do jack **** (like my alma mater) and will wait until November to download a more or less completed application. You will see what schools fall in whatever category as you compulsively check ADTS during the early months of the application season.

Deschutes and Andy

Thanks. I really appreciate your comments. This forum rocks.. :)

I will get myself organized and get everything I have out by Sep 1st.