my disaster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arctic Char

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright, alright, i suppose its time i posted the story of my demise.

Just last wednesday, unfortunately, I was notified that I did not pass CS. Needless to say, this is an unexpected complication, and extremely frustrating. how did I fail? I have no idea. i mean, my mind was seriously distracted at the time i took it due to a recent death in the family, but i thought i was ok on test day.

Nonetheless, in order to be eligible for the Match I will need to retake the exam by December 31st. However, the NBME/ECFMG tells me it will take 3 weeks to process my new application for a retake. I will continue to try and schedule a date as early as I can, but in the event I cannot, my next option would be to sign a residency contract outside the Match and retake (and pass) CS in the spring prior to beginning residency. As I am technically an International Medical Graduate, I am eligible to contract outside of the Match.

I have interviewed at great places, but my emails to PD's about my conundrum have been replied to by only a select few.

I interviewed at:

Columbia
Cornell
Mt Sinai
Boston University
VCU/MCV
GW
U of Maryland
U of Vermont
U of Utah
U of Colorado
St Jo's (Phoenix)
SUNY upstate
and am interviewing at U of Arizona in january.

Many of these places I loved, and, naturally, I have favorites among them.

At the risk of being direct, I basically have to solicit a contract. I have sent individual emails to the programs i liked the best, and am hoping something can be worked out. but, does ANYONE have any suggestions about how I should proceed??

I'm freaking out, scared out of my mind that i won't have a job in july.

thank you to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Will you receive your M.D. even if you do not pass CS?

I'm not sure if it's different for IMGs, but as long as you have your M.D. some programs will still allow you to begin residency and thus will still rank you. albeit with reservation. Of course, you have to pass CS eventually, like within 6 months or a year or whatever they deem necessary.

Is your situation different than this because you're IMG?

yeah, it is different. if i don't have CS passed by December 31st, i cannot even participate in the Match - i.e. programs won't even be capable of ranking me.

i will pass CS no later than april, that i know for sure. so graduating and getting the MD is not a problem. i think my only option is to ask a PD to go out on a limb for me and provide a contract, under the condition that i pass CS prior to starting residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
where did you take the CS at?

yeah, it is different. if i don't have CS passed by December 31st, i cannot even participate in the Match - i.e. programs won't even be capable of ranking me.

i will pass CS no later than april, that i know for sure. so graduating and getting the MD is not a problem. i think my only option is to ask a PD to go out on a limb for me and provide a contract, under the condition that i pass CS prior to starting residency.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. You may need to scramble for a spot which is in itself hell. You need to have a passing CS score by the day of scramble.

I doubt (but who knows) any PD will offer you a contract without a pass on CS. You did the right thing by emailing PDs and telling them about your ordeal. If a PD really really really liked you, he/she could offer you a contract without a pass on CS. But, you have to think from a PDs point of view. What happens if worse comes to worse you fail CS again (which you won't :))? That program will go unfilled and he/she will have to find someone through the scramble. I hope I don't sound too harsh, but I think that's reality.

If I were you, I would continue to assess if any PD will offer you a contract without a passing score of CS. If not, then Step 2 would be to get ready to pass CS and for the scramble. If a program which you want to go pops up on the unmatched list, call them up. There is a lot that goes into the scramble. PM me for advice later down the road if you get to that position.

You have to focus on getting a spot for CS so you get your results back way before the scramble. Focus on passing CS for now.

Last edited:
there was some stuff I was reading before about problems at certain locations, but that wasn't one of them. It might have been the Chicago or Philadelphia locations.

:(I was wondering as an IMG, don't you need ECFMG certificate to match or outside match? Which means you will have to pass CS? Wish you good luck and pass CS soon!!!

Sorry to hear that.
Many Program Directors hands are tied as their hospital Graduate Education Committees or Privileges Committees will not let them rank or offer a contract to an applicant who is not ECFMG certified for which CS is required.

houston. had a 1.5 hour delay in the middle of the day. why?

ah, I took it there too...the computers "went down" in the middle of the exam and they had me write the remainder of my H&Ps by hand....by hand! :mad: If I remember correctly it was in a bank building across a McDonalds. Worthless exam IMO and everyone knows it too. It happens, just take it again, study first aid STEP 2 CS. Make sure you cover pertinent negatives and positives even if they answer yes/no to them. Anyway, if you have any questions about this let me know, I'd be glad to give you some tips....PM me or email me.

ah, I took it there too...the computers "went down" in the middle of the exam and they had me write the remainder of my H&Ps by hand....by hand! :mad: If I remember correctly it was in a bank building across a McDonalds. Worthless exam IMO and everyone knows it too. It happens, just take it again, study first aid STEP 2 CS. Make sure you cover pertinent negatives and positives even if they answer yes/no to them. Anyway, if you have any questions about this let me know, I'd be glad to give you some tips....PM me or email me.

thanks. to be honest, passing that exam is the least of my worries. I will pass it, i have no doubt, but the fact that I won't have an opportunity to retake it until well after the Match pretty much screws me. I will have to sign a contract outside of the match, or scramble - but scrambing without a CS pass is likely to be no different from a contract solicitation without CS. I'm up a creek, and it rhymes with "it"

thanks. to be honest, passing that exam is the least of my worries. I will pass it, i have no doubt, but the fact that I won't have an opportunity to retake it until well after the Match pretty much screws me. I will have to sign a contract outside of the match, or scramble - but scrambing without a CS pass is likely to be no different from a contract solicitation without CS. I'm up a creek, and it rhymes with "it"

Dude, that blows. I feel for you. Don't worry too much now though... it may be a while before you get a spot, but you will get one. Going outside the match, once allowable, is really not that bad since you get offers right away. If I were you I'd go to where you are interested in working (general area) and find a post-doc in a path department. E-mail programs while you do this. Of course, this assumes you won't just find something right away.

Good luck!

thanks mate. going the post-doc route certainly crossed my mind. i am actually not opposed to that idea at all, i think a year of research would be fun to engage in coming right out of med school. for now, i'm just going to have to cross my fingers that something good comes up in the scramble. if the list comes out and i don't like what i see, maybe i'll get picky and choose a post-doc at a desirable place rather than settling. but, you know, time is money . . .

Last edited:
Hey dude -- sorry to hear about this... I wish you the best...:xf:

thanks mate. going the post-doc route certainly crossed my mind. i am actually not opposed to that idea at all, i think a year of research would be fun to engage in coming right out of med school. for now, i'm just going to have to cross my fingers that something good comes up in the scramble. if the list comes out and i don't like what i see, maybe i'll get picky and choose a post-doc at a desirable place rather than settling. but, you know, time is money . . .

that's an unfortunate situation to be in. i could see how a post-doc for a year may be a good thought, since that way you could become a "known entity" around a particular department by well, being "around".

Good Luck!

I would say try to get a spot this July, but don't just find a spot because you want a job. Pick a program that you like or else, you will be miserable.

Do a postdoc if all else fails. Like you said time is money and one whole year is a lot of time.

thanks for all the help and support everyone. its very much appreciated, and just goes to prove that the people in path are indeed one of the best parts about the field.

I think you are doing the right thing, contacting the programs you are interested in. In addition to research, consider doing a consulting or biotech work for a year - good experience, good money...??

just to update, i was just able to reschedule my CS exam for this monday (!!). not a lot of advance notice, but it'll be good to nip it in the bud before leaving for Africa next week. nonetheless, i will most likely not be eligible for the match . . . unless i can somehow get my score report expedited (yeah, right) . . .

anywho . . . thats the latest from my world of frustrations and annoyances, gray hair and deep sighs

hope 2009 has started well for everyone else

Sorry to hear about your predicament, Arctic char. Wish you good luck in your exam, and hope everything goes fine.