my ECs seem kind of underwhelming

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fahmed1855

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a career changer who is planning to go into a post bacc program with a 3.5cGPA. I have no friends who are in med school or were even in premed (a little strange now that I think about it)so I have really done all my research about getting into med school online (esp on GREAT forums like this one). One thing that has me a little worried is that everyone has a ton of ECs, most of which are usually pretty impressive usually. I am a little worried because the only ECs i think I will have (besides my college ECs) will be very standard clinical exp/volunteering/shadowing. I have yet to start my post bacc yet and while I plan to bust my butt and ace those classes and the MCATs, what kinda numbers should I aim for to be competitive in NYC med schools? A few people online have told me that my sci GPA should be higher than my CGPA and that I should aim for a 30 at least on the mcat, but given my seemingly very standard ECs, should i expect to need an even higher MCAT and very high sci GPA?

I know it is kind of irrelevant because I will aim for the highest sci GPA and MCAT regardless, but if anyone would be so kind as to humor my neurotic questions haha- On the chance that I perform only conservatively well (30 MCAT and 3.5 sci GPA?), will i have any chance in NYC med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a career changer who is planning to go into a post bacc program with a 3.5cGPA. I have no friends who are in med school or were even in premed (a little strange now that I think about it)so I have really done all my research about getting into med school online (esp on GREAT forums like this one). One thing that has me a little worried is that everyone has a ton of ECs, most of which are usually pretty impressive usually. I am a little worried because the only ECs i think I will have (besides my college ECs) will be very standard clinical exp/volunteering/shadowing. I have yet to start my post bacc yet and while I plan to bust my butt and ace those classes and the MCATs, what kinda numbers should I aim for to be competitive in NYC med schools? A few people online have told me that my sci GPA should be higher than my CGPA and that I should aim for a 30 at least on the mcat, but given my seemingly very standard ECs, should i expect to need an even higher MCAT and very high sci GPA?

I know it is kind of irrelevant because I will aim for the highest sci GPA and MCAT regardless, but if anyone would be so kind as to humor my neurotic questions haha- On the chance that I perform only conservatively well (30 MCAT and 3.5 sci GPA?), will i have any chance in NYC med schools?

First off don't stress about the ECs that other people have on this forum, this board is notorious for self-selection bias.

I think that you shouldn't give yourself conservative estimates on GPA/MCAT at this point, wait until you actually start classes before you start selling yourself short.

If you want to stay in NYC don't get a 3.5/30, those stats won't get you much love there.

I think your past career will be an interesting and relatively unique experience to list.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm do you think it would still seem interesting if I only did it for four months lol (not counting internships). I am a pretty recent graduate actually (graduated undergrad april 08)

hmm do you think it would still seem interesting if I only did it for four months lol (not counting internships). I am a pretty recent graduate actually (graduated undergrad april 08)

The internships count if they were the same type of work.

a have seen quite a few people get accepted by the suny's with 3.6 and 30 mcat with regular ECs so you should be fine. nearly all of them are instate so that will help you. good luck!