MD & DO My final school List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome Sauceome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So again a thank you for the people who have helped me make my list of schools since October or so. I have added and removed schools for months now and I am at what I believe is my final list of schools. My only question is will I (with reasonable certainty) be able to get into one of these schools. My hope is that I will not need to add or remove any schools to this list as I have cut out every other school for various reasons. So how does it look, will I be attending medical school with this list?

DMU
PCOM
CCOM
MUCOM (Marian)
MCW
University of Wisconsin
OSU
NOVA
UMDMJ (Rowan)
UNECOM (New England)
Virginia college of osteopathic medicine
ACOM

Stats:
AMCAS cgpa 3.38 sgpa 3.23
AACOMAS cgpa 3.38 sgpa 3.46 (higher with grade replacement but I havent done the math)
MCAT 28 (9, 9, 10)

Very upward trend in grades: 2.82 freshman gpa, and a 3.87 senior gpa (with significantly harder classes)

23 y/o white male, wisconsin resident who is a year out of college and working a research job at MCW.

My full list of EC's is here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/wamc-3-38-gpa-28-mcat-pretty-average-dude.1050399/

So unless there is something blatantly off with the list, will I be able to become a physician at one of these schools.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

So I did the math for grade replacement and my AACOMAS gpa's are: 3.51 cgpa and 3.57 sgpa

Thats a heck of a lot better than I was expecting. People think this list is solid? It is so hard finding class profiles/stats for osteopathic schools...

It just seems crazy to take MCW and UW off my list... I guess I just have so much hope for some in-state love. Plus both appreciate research experience which I have a ton of. But there is a small part of me that says to just drop them and pick up two more osteopathic schools simply because my stats. I would feel more comfortable if I had my gpa and a better MCAT or my MCAT but a better gpa.

Feels stupid to both apply to the MD schools as well as feeling stupid to take them off my list because its like, you never know right?

Hopefully someone can comment on it

Looks like a good list and I think you'll be getting lots of IIs. I have read on this board that UNECOM likes regional candidates, so you might want to swap that out with AT Still.

DMU
PCOM
CCOM
MUCOM (Marian)
MCW
University of Wisconsin
OSU
NOVA
UMDMJ (Rowan)
UNECOM (New England)
Virginia college of osteopathic medicine
ACOM

Stats:
AMCAS cgpa 3.38 sgpa 3.23
AACOMAS cgpa 3.38 sgpa 3.46 (higher with grade replacement but I havent done the math)
MCAT 28 (9, 9, 10)

Very upward trend in grades: 2.82 freshman gpa, and a 3.87 senior gpa (with significantly harder classes)

23 y/o white male, wisconsin resident who is a year out of college and working a research job at MCW.

My full list of EC's is here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/wamc-3-38-gpa-28-mcat-pretty-average-dude.1050399/

So unless there is something blatantly off with the list, will I be able to become a physician at one of these schools.

Thanks for the help[/quote]

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually was born and raised on the east coast. I have only lived in wisconsin for like 9 months (moved for my wife's school). I also worked in Maine about 30 minutes northwest of UNECOM and love/can comment on the area. I absolutely want to get back east if its at all possible.

So what is your take on the wisconsin schools. You have seen more applicants go through and have been around more than I have on this whole process. Should I seriously keep them on there or just drop them for two other DO schools (or just keep it at 10 DO schools).

AMCAS gpa being what it is and my MCAT being 28, I am looking at both the WI schools and its like 3.8 gpa and 31/32 average MCAT. Now granted thats just the average but realistically what are the chances they would take someone with BOTH lower gpa and lower MCAT. The only thing keeping me applying there is my EC's and my in-state favor (especially for UW) but realistically are those two factors enough to keep me in the runnings? The longer I have been sitting on this stuff the more I am thinking it sadly wont...

What do you think?

I just looked. On the MSAR I am not even within the 10th percentile for both cgpa and sgpa at both schools. I am within their range for the MCAT, but again, I am starting to think that the realistic chances of a school taking someone with the 10th percentile MCAT and below 10th percentile gpa is super slim, even with state residence and good EC's.

But again maybe someone can comment on it?

MD schools do not like high MCAT/low GPA or low MCAT/high GPA. They want both parameters high. DO programs are more forgiving. I suggest forgoing the WI MD programs and focussing on DO, where your chances are much much more favorable.

I just looked. On the MSAR I am not even within the 10th percentile for both cgpa and sgpa at both schools. I am within their range for the MCAT, but again, I am starting to think that the realistic chances of a school taking someone with the 10th percentile MCAT and below 10th percentile gpa is super slim, even with state residence and good EC's.

But again maybe someone can comment on it?

I am definitely taking your advice. Thank you so much for your help Goro, it is nice to have someone who is helping guide me. I definitely think that having both a low gpa and low MCAT will just be too big of a hurdle with the MD schools, even if they have in-state bias.

So unless I receive FAP from AMCAS I will be going all DO. So with that in mind, I have these 10 DO schools. I dont know how many secondaries or interviews one would think I might get. So with that in mind I can take the $325 that I was going to be spending on MD schools and either apply to a couple more DO schools, or I can use that money for interviews and maybe my wife and I wont go into poverty haha

So I have $2000-2500 for the entire process (primaries, secondaries, and interviews)
My primaries and secondaries (assuming I get secondaries to all 10 schools, just to be conservative with my estimate) will cost $1,105. So lets say each interview is what like $300 to get to by plane? almost all of them I would be flying to. That would let me get to roughly 4 interviews.

So having seen this process and having seen lots of students go through. Would you say that 10 schools enough for me? And would you say that THESE 10 schools are good. Like I tried to get a mix of low/mid/top tier DO schools (with relation to how difficult it is to get in). If you say that its not enough schools or that you dont think I will even get 3 or 4 interviews then I will apply to 2 more schools.

I am just trying to gauge if I apply to these 10 schools, maybe I will get like 6 secondaries and maybe 3 interviews? And maybe get into 1 of those 3 schools? Sound reasonable? Do you think I am being to under/over-conservative?

I am definitely taking your advice. Thank you so much for your help Goro, it is nice to have someone who is helping guide me. I definitely think that having both a low gpa and low MCAT will just be too big of a hurdle with the MD schools, even if they have in-state bias.

So unless I receive FAP from AMCAS I will be going all DO. So with that in mind, I have these 10 DO schools. I dont know how many secondaries or interviews one would think I might get. So with that in mind I can take the $325 that I was going to be spending on MD schools and either apply to a couple more DO schools, or I can use that money for interviews and maybe my wife and I wont go into poverty haha

So I have $2000-2500 for the entire process (primaries, secondaries, and interviews)
My primaries and secondaries (assuming I get secondaries to all 10 schools, just to be conservative with my estimate) will cost $1,105. So lets say each interview is what like $300 to get to by plane? almost all of them I would be flying to. That would let me get to roughly 4 interviews.

So having seen this process and having seen lots of students go through. Would you say that 10 schools enough for me? And would you say that THESE 10 schools are good. Like I tried to get a mix of low/mid/top tier DO schools (with relation to how difficult it is to get in). If you say that its not enough schools or that you dont think I will even get 3 or 4 interviews then I will apply to 2 more schools.

I am just trying to gauge if I apply to these 10 schools, maybe I will get like 6 secondaries and maybe 3 interviews? And maybe get into 1 of those 3 schools? Sound reasonable? Do you think I am being to under/over-conservative?
I think you can definitely apply to 10 schools with your stats. However, I think you should add two more safety schools like LMU and PCOM-GA or SOMA.

Hmm LMU is tricky because I dont think my wife could find a job. SOMA seems like a fantastic school but with everything in me I want to stay on the east coast. PCOM-GA is a possibility, is it a different application than for regular PCOM? I definitely dont want to get shafted down from phili to GA once I am done the application, especially because PA is so receptive to my wife's profession.

What else is out there? I pretty much covered most of the schools on the east coast and midwest. A lot of the schools that are in areas that are under like 25k people I sort of have to give the thumbs down again for my wife to be able to find work. Even KCOM I am still hesitant about; though it seems like a freaking amazing school.

I am thinking of adding vcom-cc but again I am brought by concerns such at the PCOM/PCOM-ga thing, plus I would absolutely rather be in VA since my entire family would only live like 4 hours away and since at this point I am 16+ hours away, it would be nice to get back closer to them.... I guess what I am getting at is with schools with multiple campuses, do you just get into one of them and then you choose which campus or is it like each one has its own application? (though I am sure this is different for different schools) so I guess specifically for PCOM, and VCOM

I think you can definitely apply to 10 schools with your stats. However, I think you should add two more safety schools like LMU and PCOM-GA or SOMA.

Thanks for the vote of confidence by the way! I am really starting to feel really good about this decision and my list of schools. I am just wanting to apply! haha

I actually was born and raised on the east coast. I have only lived in wisconsin for like 9 months (moved for my wife's school). I also worked in Maine about 30 minutes northwest of UNECOM and love/can comment on the area. I absolutely want to get back east if its at all possible.

So what is your take on the wisconsin schools. You have seen more applicants go through and have been around more than I have on this whole process. Should I seriously keep them on there or just drop them for two other DO schools (or just keep it at 10 DO schools).

AMCAS gpa being what it is and my MCAT being 28, I am looking at both the WI schools and its like 3.8 gpa and 31/32 average MCAT. Now granted thats just the average but realistically what are the chances they would take someone with BOTH lower gpa and lower MCAT. The only thing keeping me applying there is my EC's and my in-state favor (especially for UW) but realistically are those two factors enough to keep me in the runnings? The longer I have been sitting on this stuff the more I am thinking it sadly wont...

What do you think?
You could add CUSOM if you want to stay in the east coast... PCOM-GA is a different application, but the secondary essay is the same....