My Financial Aid is not enough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Skateguitar

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just found out how much aid I will get for the year. From my own calculations, I will need around 76k/per year. However, I am getting 44,944 for the year. 8,500 are Fed. Subsidized and 36,444 are Fed. Unsub.
From what I understand, I have a few options: private loans or Grad Plus.
What other options would be best for me?
 
I just found out how much aid I will get for the year. From my own calculations, I will need around 76k/per year. However, I am getting 44,944 for the year. 8,500 are Fed. Subsidized and 36,444 are Fed. Unsub.
From what I understand, I have a few options: private loans or Grad Plus.
What other options would be best for me?

What does the school say is your cost of attendance for the year? It's pretty easy to borrow up to the COA with Grad Plus (no need to do private) loans. Borrowing beyond the COA is tricky. The COA should include living expenses, so for most people, it should be enough.
 
What does the school say is your cost of attendance for the year? It's pretty easy to borrow up to the COA with Grad Plus (no need to do private) loans. Borrowing beyond the COA is tricky. The COA should include living expenses, so for most people, it should be enough.

The school listed the COA as 90k per year. Their estimates for transportation are 4.5k per year but I will walk to school/take shuttle. Other expenses are overestimated as well.
 
The school listed the COA as 90k per year. Their estimates for transportation are 4.5k per year but I will walk to school/take shuttle. Other expenses are overestimated as well.

Your next step then is to apply for a grad plus loan with your lender asking for whoever much you've determined you need over the amount you're getting in other aid. If you don't have major credit issues, it should be pretty easy to be approved. Private loans are generally always a bad idea and should only be used when you can't get loans from the federal government.