1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

My first clerkship evaluation.

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by seelee, Aug 9, 2011.

1. seelee

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First off, this is not a rant session. I legitimately want to know if there is something I could have done to avoid this.

I am on a team with one of those attendings who loves to ramble during rounds, dragging what could be a 30 minute jaunt into a two hour endurance challenge. The first day on the rotation the upper level literally tells everyone that in order to expedite rounds as much as possible we need to keep their mouths shut during rounds and to not ask the attending any questions unless absolutely necessary. He told us to save any questions we might have for him or the interns on the team.

I am one of "those guys" who likes to contribute to rounds, but I didn't want to rub the upper level the wrong way and so i did what the upper level said. However when grading time came around, The attending docked points because he felt that I didn't ask enough questions during rounds. Of course the upper level didn't say that the reason was because he told us to be quiet.

Like I said, I am not ranting, but I want to know if anyone has any suggestions on what I might have done differently. Or was i just stuck between a rock and a hard place?

Second question is if you have to choose, whom do you please? The attending's opinion my have greater weight, but he seldom sees you work directly whereas the upper level sees you working on a daily basis.

Thoughts.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. officedepot

Removed 2+ Year Member

you gotta strike a fine balance. Residents want to work as quickly as possible and some are not interested in teaching students. Some attendings love to teach. If your team mixes the two I would aim to please the attending more w/o annoying anyone. E.g. only ask questions related to your patients and questions that are insightful; not really dumb pathophys questions that aren't relevant to patient care. I don't think a resident would dock points if you contributed to the team and he most definitely won't say on an eval that you "asked too many good questions and made the day 30 min longer so you get a B".

4. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    does the senior resident have any say any your eval? Sounds like you pleased the wrong person.

5. seelee

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The interns and the upper level resident have a lot of say in the grade. And I actually did ask specific questions about management when they came up. I think the attending wanted more of the "pathophys questons".

I still got a pretty good grade, I am not complaining about that.

6. 2012mdc

2012mdc Enjoying the Dark Side
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are times during 3rd year where you just can't win. You didn't want to look an idiot to the attending but also you didn't want to piss the resident off who also has a say and who can make your life hell.

The fact that you got a pretty good grade makes it sound like you balanced it decently.

And why did the attending want you to ask pathophys questions? In my experience it's the other way around

7. ArcGurren

ArcGurren only one will survive
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah I agree, usually the attending pimps me on pathophys