My first DPT interview!!! HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walkaht

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I just received my first interview invitation an hour ago from the UCF (University of Central Florida) DPT program, so I am very excited! However, now the pressure of this news is kicking in. This school/program was my first choice, and I definitely didn't want this one to be the first interview I did. Can someone please tell me how I should prepare for this? I understand there will be some questions about why I want to be PT, why their program, et cetera. But what other things should I be doing to prepare for this? HELP!

Thank you to anyone who replies!

Tyler

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

I just received my first interview invitation an hour ago from the UCF (University of Central Florida) DPT program, so I am very excited! However, now the pressure of this news is kicking in. This school/program was my first choice, and I definitely didn't want this one to be the first interview I did. Can someone please tell me how I should prepare for this? I understand there will be some questions about why I want to be PT, why their program, et cetera. But what other things should I be doing to prepare for this? HELP!

Tyler
I didn't apply to UCF so this is more of a comprehensive approach to all future interviews (based on my experience).

Take a deep breath. What many people have to realize is, everything you've done up to this point is what you'll be equipped with on your interview. There's really nothing more you can prepare. If you have a good understanding of the PT field and can articulately and clearly say why you are pursuing a career in PT, that's about all you can prepare. Even at that, some PT schools don't even ask that question since they're so tired of hearing the same answers repeatedly.

I've looked at the pinned post on SDN (top of Pre-PT page) and read up on interview tips but since every program is so different, preparing for interview questions is like memorizing vocab words for the GRE, you're only going to see a couple on the actual day.

I've interviewed at two schools this cycle thus far (have another next week) and other than being yourself, I would say mock interviews are the best way to prepare you mostly to avoid getting tongue-tied, not so much preparing the content of what you say (rehearsed answers are robotic and obvious). Also, I would be prepared to recognize questions (and very easy ones at that) being asked in multiple and sometimes odd ways in order to throw you off. Ex: "Why PT" may be asked "what about the PT field is peaking your interest currently?" or "how do you handle stress" can be asked "if an individual was confronted you/gave you problems due to your race, how would you manage that situation" and lastly "what would you do if a group member does not pull their weight on a project" can be unnecessarily rephrased as "your class has an exam on friday, and a group project due on the monday after. one group member is not contributing and has an urgent family situation on the weekend and will have to focus on studying for the exam and won't be able to help with the group assign. How would you handle this situation?" The questions are really all the same or similar in nature asked in different forms and sometimes the interviewer is going to give you a hard time just to see how you work under stressful environments.

Ask a PT you have a relationship with, the career center, or a really smart friend to mock interview you and ask what they think. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all!

Tyler

Agree with the above poster. I've had the two interviews so far and my biggest advice is to relax. That will seem easier once you get to the interview, they do their presentation, etc. I don't know how you could possibly prepare for every question you are asked, so it is necessary to think on your feet. To do this WELL, without tripping over your words, it is okay to pause before you answer to give yourself a moment to think of a good answer (by pause I don't mean an awkwardly long pause of course..). The ones I have been to have been conversational. Before your interviews I suggest really thinking about what you love about the field, what you think makes a successful PT (and subsequently how you embody that), why the particular school, and how you would fit into their program and what strengths you have. Any other questions are hard to prepare for and you don't want to sound rehearsed in any of them.

Also, I'm unsure of your stats but anything that makes you "stand out" you should also be thinking about. For example, I am a nontraditional major (I'm within the social science department) and I was asked in one of my interviews how I managed to decide on PT because it is a leap from my major and how I was sure I wanted to do PT. If something like this applies to you, make sure you think about it beforehand or you risk being caught off guard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm happy to say that I've gotten accepted into all 3 of the schools I interviewed for. It's a great feeling and I'll be honest, I thought I was bad at interviews. But I guess somewhere along my college experience, I got better? haha. Well my advice for you from my PT interview experiences, just be yourself. Think of some answers to behavioral questions; so like just look back on your life and come up with some concrete examples of different things. Look up interview questions and practice with someone; a friend is fine, it doesn't have to be anyone professional like a professor or someone. But whatever works for you. But don't over practice, just practice enough so that if the question is actually asked to you, you can automatically think back to your practice interview and remember what example you gave. But DO NOT memorize. You may be too nervous to remember to say exactly what you memorized. So just have an idea. Ummmm what else and yea lastly, AND THIS IS THE BIGGEST PART, just be yourself. I've said this before somewhere on this forum. If you know what you wanna do (PT) and why you want to do it, it shouldn't be hard for you to answer any question because it's your passion. It'll naturally flow. I was surprised how I was able to just flow in my interviews, they seemed more like conversations (although at one interview they made sure not to give feedback so it was a straight Q and A). But YOU WILL BE FINE!! Good luck. It makes me feel so funny that I can actually give this advice now when just a month ago I was preparing for my first interview lol now here I am trying to decide which offer I will accept. You will soon be in this position as well, All I can say is don't worry too much. I believe you got this! But at the end of the day, what God has for you, it IS for you. You have to go in believing that and so whatever the outcome will be, you'll be satisfied in knowing that God does in fact have something just for you. Again, good luck! And I can't wait to say congratulations on your acceptance!!:)

Reactions: 6 users
I'm happy to say that I've gotten accepted into all 3 of the schools I interviewed for. It's a great feeling and I'll be honest, I thought I was bad at interviews. But I guess somewhere along my college experience, I got better? haha. Well my advice for you from my PT interview experiences, just be yourself. Think of some answers to behavioral questions; so like just look back on your life and come up with some concrete examples of different things. Look up interview questions and practice with someone; a friend is fine, it doesn't have to be anyone professional like a professor or someone. But whatever works for you. But don't over practice, just practice enough so that if the question is actually asked to you, you can automatically think back to your practice interview and remember what example you gave. But DO NOT memorize. You may be too nervous to remember to say exactly what you memorized. So just have an idea. Ummmm what else and yea lastly, AND THIS IS THE BIGGEST PART, just be yourself. I've said this before somewhere on this forum. If you know what you wanna do (PT) and why you want to do it, it shouldn't be hard for you to answer any question because it's your passion. It'll naturally flow. I was surprised how I was able to just flow in my interviews, they seemed more like conversations (although at one interview they made sure not to give feedback so it was a straight Q and A). But YOU WILL BE FINE!! Good luck. It makes me feel so funny that I can actually give this advice now when just a month ago I was preparing for my first interview lol now here I am trying to decide which offer I will accept. You will soon be in this position as well, All I can say is don't worry too much. I believe you got this! But at the end of the day, what God has for you, it IS for you. You have to go in believing that and so whatever the outcome will be, you'll be satisfied in knowing that God does in fact have something just for you. Again, good luck! And I can't wait to say congratulations on your acceptance!!:)
Wow, PTL man!

Hello all!

Tyler
I posted a lengthy response on your thread in physical therapy.

I didn't apply to UCF so this is more of a comprehensive approach to all future interviews (based on my experience).

Take a deep breath. What many people have to realize is, everything you've done up to this point is what you'll be equipped with on your interview. There's really nothing more you can prepare. If you have a good understanding of the PT field and can articulately and clearly say why you are pursuing a career in PT, that's about all you can prepare. Even at that, some PT schools don't even ask that question since they're so tired of hearing the same answers repeatedly.

I've looked at the pinned post on SDN (top of Pre-PT page) and read up on interview tips but since every program is so different, preparing for interview questions is like memorizing vocab words for the GRE, you're only going to see a couple on the actual day.

I've interviewed at two schools this cycle thus far (have another next week) and other than being yourself, I would say mock interviews are the best way to prepare you mostly to avoid getting tongue-tied, not so much preparing the content of what you say (rehearsed answers are robotic and obvious). Also, I would be prepared to recognize questions (and very easy ones at that) being asked in multiple and sometimes odd ways in order to throw you off. Ex: "Why PT" may be asked "what about the PT field is peaking your interest currently?" or "how do you handle stress" can be asked "if an individual was confronted you/gave you problems due to your race, how would you manage that situation" and lastly "what would you do if a group member does not pull their weight on a project" can be unnecessarily rephrased as "your class has an exam on friday, and a group project due on the monday after. one group member is not contributing and has an urgent family situation on the weekend and will have to focus on studying for the exam and won't be able to help with the group assign. How would you handle this situation?" The questions are really all the same or similar in nature asked in different forms and sometimes the interviewer is going to give you a hard time just to see how you work under stressful environments.

Ask a PT you have a relationship with, the career center, or a really smart friend to mock interview you and ask what they think. Good luck.

Thank you! I really appreciate the advice. I know I just need to relax and be myself. I'm confident that any program would be lucky to have me, as I am very passionate about PT and a very hard worker. I just need to portray that in my interview. I know it is cliche, but when someone asks me why I wanted to be a PT, my first instinct is to say that I wanted to help people. I guess I have to figure out a different way to portray that in order to avoid sounding like every other applicant. I'll work on it.

Where did you interview if you dont mind me asking? I called my school right after I got the interview and scheduled a mock interview. So pretty much they are like a normal job interview where they will give you situations and ask how you would handle them, I see. That doesn't sound difficult. I think i really just need to research the program and come up with some questions. That is my #1 priority at this point.

Interesting questions though. I am not sure what I would do if someone wasn't carrying their load in a group project. It has happened many times in the past and I have just picked up the slack and done it all myself, but I know that isn't what I want to do in the future, and I think how I reacted would depend on that person's excuse for not carrying their load. Most excuses I would probably inform the teacher, so they knew what was going on, and continue to do the project. Did you get that question in your interview? How did you respond?

I called a friend of mine who is in the UCF program and we are getting together next week to get some coffee and discuss the program, so that should help a lot!

Thank you so much for your advice, and best of luck in your application process! I am sure you will do very well in your interviews! Keep me updated!

Agree with the above poster. I've had the two interviews so far and my biggest advice is to relax. That will seem easier once you get to the interview, they do their presentation, etc. I don't know how you could possibly prepare for every question you are asked, so it is necessary to think on your feet. To do this WELL, without tripping over your words, it is okay to pause before you answer to give yourself a moment to think of a good answer (by pause I don't mean an awkwardly long pause of course..). The ones I have been to have been conversational. Before your interviews I suggest really thinking about what you love about the field, what you think makes a successful PT (and subsequently how you embody that), why the particular school, and how you would fit into their program and what strengths you have. Any other questions are hard to prepare for and you don't want to sound rehearsed in any of them.

Also, I'm unsure of your stats but anything that makes you "stand out" you should also be thinking about. For example, I am a nontraditional major (I'm within the social science department) and I was asked in one of my interviews how I managed to decide on PT because it is a leap from my major and how I was sure I wanted to do PT. If something like this applies to you, make sure you think about it beforehand or you risk being caught off guard.

Thank you so much! You have some great advice! I think a lot of people feel like they need to respond right away, but it isn't the case. I am guilty of this as well. But I agree that it sounds better to pause to gather your thoughts than it is to stutter while you are answering. Those are some very good questions to think about, thank you for giving me such great examples. They might possibly ask me why I went from Graphic Design (my first degree) to PT. A lot of people ask me that, so it would probably be a good question to ask.

CUM GPA: 3.55
Prereq: 4.0
UCF GPA: 3.99
GRE: 148, 153, 4

I think my GPA is my best attribute, as well as my volunteer work. My weakest part would have to be my GRE I believe. Not sure though since I haven't really compared my stats with anyone else. Thank you again for your suggestions and support! Best of luck in your interviews!

Congratulations! I'm sure that is an amazing feeling! Where do you think you are going to go? And why did you choose that program? This is my only one so far, so I hope it goes well. If I get more interviews, I will probably feel more secure about getting accepted somewhere, but for now I cannot help but stress about it.

I cant memorize responses unless it is something I dont care about, even then I probably wouldn't spend time to memorize if I didnt care. I think it is a great idea to have a general idea of the direction you would take with each general question, and then go from there. Great advice! Thank you! I am hearing "be yourself" a lot, which is a GREAT thing, because that is easy for me!

I hope to be in your position soon! Having the experience under your belt definitely helps other people who haven't experienced it yet. So thank you for helping us all out with your experience, it is greatly appreciated! I'll be sure to keep you informed! Thanks again!

Thank you! I really appreciate the advice. I know I just need to relax and be myself. I'm confident that any program would be lucky to have me, as I am very passionate about PT and a very hard worker. I just need to portray that in my interview. I know it is cliche, but when someone asks me why I wanted to be a PT, my first instinct is to say that I wanted to help people. I guess I have to figure out a different way to portray that in order to avoid sounding like every other applicant. I'll work on it.

Where did you interview if you dont mind me asking? I called my school right after I got the interview and scheduled a mock interview. So pretty much they are like a normal job interview where they will give you situations and ask how you would handle them, I see. That doesn't sound difficult. I think i really just need to research the program and come up with some questions. That is my #1 priority at this point.

Interesting questions though. I am not sure what I would do if someone wasn't carrying their load in a group project. It has happened many times in the past and I have just picked up the slack and done it all myself, but I know that isn't what I want to do in the future, and I think how I reacted would depend on that person's excuse for not carrying their load. Most excuses I would probably inform the teacher, so they knew what was going on, and continue to do the project. Did you get that question in your interview? How did you respond?

I called a friend of mine who is in the UCF program and we are getting together next week to get some coffee and discuss the program, so that should help a lot!

Thank you so much for your advice, and best of luck in your application process! I am sure you will do very well in your interviews! Keep me updated!

I actually got asked that question as well, I think steveyk and I interviewed at the same program. I said something along the lines of I would try to reason with the group member to get them to pull their weight. Then they followed up with that very specific "well they have a test and a wedding and they just can't help you.." and in response to that I said I would offer to help them study for their test if that would free up some of their time to do the project and if that didn't work I would just have to take on the extra work myself. I think with a question like this there is no "right" answer, and I'm sure they know in reality what most of us would do is just take on the extra work but they kind of want to see you "think" through the problem and see how you deal with conflict. I personally found the question to be synonymous with what if we got a patient who didn't want to do their exercises, how would we handle that? So I thought of it from that point of view.

Thank you so much! You have some great advice! I think a lot of people feel like they need to respond right away, but it isn't the case. I am guilty of this as well. But I agree that it sounds better to pause to gather your thoughts than it is to stutter while you are answering. Those are some very good questions to think about, thank you for giving me such great examples. They might possibly ask me why I went from Graphic Design (my first degree) to PT. A lot of people ask me that, so it would probably be a good question to ask.

CUM GPA: 3.55
Prereq: 4.0
UCF GPA: 3.99
GRE: 148, 153, 4

I think my GPA is my best attribute, as well as my volunteer work. My weakest part would have to be my GRE I believe. Not sure though since I haven't really compared my stats with anyone else. Thank you again for your suggestions and support! Best of luck in your interviews!

My guess is they will ask about that. You do have good GPAs and your GRE is on the lower side but if you got the interview I don't think you should worry about that anymore. Also be thinking about what your favorite volunteer (non-PT related) experiences were, I got a question about that.

I interviewed at GA Regents and Angelo State. Got another one next week. After reading your post, my question is why. You like to help people. Why? Because of X, Y, Z. Why? Because of another set of X, Y, and Z. Why? And so on. That should help you think through things on a deeper level and discover where your true passions/priorities lie. I like to help people and the person next to you at your interview probably likes helping people, too. Nothing wrong with that since it's simply... the truth. But to interviewers, it doesn't really show them anything about you. They need to know more. I'm sure you understand.

With the group member not pulling their weight question, I started off by saying I would first address the person directly. Imo, this is important. You don't want to tell on your group member. This shows that you are fully capable of handling your issues on your own without an authoritative figure intervening. It shows maturity, self-sufficiency, persistence, etc. I said a lot after that but I don't think my answer would help you since it's so open ended.

Just a few more thoughts, your GREs are definitely on the lower end but your GPA is fantastic. I'm the opposite end. My overall GPA is outrageously low but my GREs are above avg. From what I have been hearing, applicants in your situation tend to get more offers than the latter case so just wanted to tell you that you're in good standing. Good luck to you and I'll keep you posted. We shall speak when we are SPT's. :)

UPDATE: My interview was this past thursday (Dec 17), and I just got a call from UCF yesterday telling me that I have been offered a spot in the program!! Such amazing news! Thank you for everyone and their advice/help!!

UPDATE: My interview was this past thursday (Dec 17), and I just got a call from UCF yesterday telling me that I have been offered a spot in the program!! Such amazing news! Thank you for everyone and their advice/help!!

First off, congratulations!! I am waiting to hear from UCF and the anticipation is killing me! How did your interview go? Were there any questions that caught you off guard?

Thank you Cheerios!! I am so excited! I hope you hear from UCF soon! They still have more interview to give out, so keep your head up! The interview was very chill. Each faculty has their own style of questions, which cover most types of questions: ethical, situational, etc. They kept it very relaxed though, and you could tell they really just wanted to get a feel for who YOU are, and if you are a good fit for the program. Questions that caught me off guard. "If PT was off the table, what major would you go into?" Also, the ethical ones, were personalized to each person. But overall, it was a relaxed interview. Good luck!