sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
what school?

I think it is important to know something about the school and how an education there fits you.

Reckoning

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Schedule a mock interview with your school or a friend. Or better yet, talk into a tape recorder and listen your responses. I actually did this. Then you can weed out the topical fluff just like editing your writing. I don't mean to memorize your answers just hone your talking points. Good luck!

huduvudu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
Status
Hands down the most important thing is to have examples of why you are a match for their school. Do research and make as many connections as possible. Always give the "medium" length answer. This goes for any interview. Show enough interest and enthusiasm to get their attention, but more than a few sentences and their eyes may glaze over (I have interviewed a fair number of people for work and know this from the other end).

indo

Feed me a stray cat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
www.mcw.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
figure out a good answer to "what is your greatest weakness" and figure out a good story for "tell me about yourself".

SamDC

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
Be honest
Be yourself

Strike a balance between confidence and humility

Cherebourg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Huckel
Status
echinoderm said:
i just got my first and only interview invite a couple of days ago... i saw the interview section of sdn regarding past experiences, but are there any other resources (internet or personal recommendations) that i should consider? e.g. advice on how to respond.. avoiding being too detailed and not being too ambiguous? sample responses to "describe yourself"?

this is my only chance.. any advice would help!! thanks.

MY ADVICE IS TRY NOT TO GET WAITLISTED!

Agent Splat

Viruses? Don't Exist.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
The only major American city to have elected 3 Soc
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sit up straight, be attentive to your interviewer when they talk. Smile when you meet them, give a firm handshake while looking them straight in the eye. I get nervous making eye contact too long, but I force myself to stay focused and maintain it when need to. Hands out of your pockets if you have them.

I once had a job interviewer mention that one of the things that impressed him most about me was that I gave him that firm handshake and made good eye contact. Gives you a look of confidence.

Best wishes,
--mdb

SamDC

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
Cherebourg said:
YOU DON'T SAY..........
My apologies, the aluminum foil I'm wearing to keep out the alien signals is also interfering with my sarcasm detector.

Again, my sincerest apologies.

Ologist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
Status
I agree w/ the above posters. Prepare for the hard questions ("why do you want to go into medicine?", etc..), do research on the school, have mock interviews.

Good luck!

xadmin

15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
How is that "tell me about yourself question" dreadful?? It is the best question you could be asked. You telling me that you live on Earth for at least 20 years of your life and you don't know what to say??

chocolate-e

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I just had my first (out of only 2) interviews, so I can well sympathize with your anxiety! Don't worry too much--mine was much lower-stress than I had expected. Just do your reserach (esp. interview feedback and school website) and prepare for whatever questions you're especially dreading. For the "tell me about yourself" question, think about what you *want* to talk about: what makes you different and interesting, the topics that make you come alive.

Good luck! :)

nadica31

Future Oncologyst
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Dallas, TX
Status
Pre-Medical
im in the same pool :(. CAn you guys give us some advice on what is a good question to ask your interviwer but something not BS.
Thanks and echinoderm, good luck to both of us:)
p.s. where is your interview, mine is at USC next week, yikes :cool:

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
1. go have dinner with a friend and make them ask you "why medicine?" and "tell me about yourself" a few times throughout the evening.
2. brush your teeth
3. make sure you're wearing comfortable shoes
4. try not to freak out
5. don't use any racial slurs :) (ACTUAL advice from a couple of students at places i was interviewing)

Sancho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Status
talk about music, sports, food, the interviewer's interests besides your own-make them lose track of time because they are enjoying the moment so well
make sure that new box of shoes has a right and a left and not two lefts :cool: (happened to me last year)

eralza

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
Virginia
Status
Medical Student
Meditate and become introspective well before the interview. Figure out why you really want to go into medicine. It's a long path with personal sacrifices all along the way, so doing it just to make mom and dad happy ain't gonna cut it. For the "tell me about yourself" question, start off with a good generalization (not overly detailed), then focus on why you are unique (leave out the part about collecting toenail clippings as a hobby). Talk about your passions and what you have learned from them. For example: I run ultra-marathons, and they have truly formed me into the person I am through training, focus on a future goal, and overcoming difficulties. Have a good idea of world events, healthcare issues, and details about the particular school. Have dinner with one of the students if possible. Most importantly, be honest. If you don't know the answer to a specific question, admit that aren't familiar with the details. If you can, put your higher thinking powers to use and forumulate a possible explanation, but don't B.S.
Good luck to you!