My friend just got matched to a PhD program. I want the most kickass gift anyone has ever given him.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

friend_of_freud

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Psychs (I don't know what to call you).

I am out of realm and forum here. I come from you from dentist land, and despite our stereotypes, we can be quite nice ;). Just heard that a friend is in the process of finalizing their acceptance to a PhD program first-choice. This wasn't his first time applying, but I feel a part of it as I coached and helped edit statements to a point I think he has a good chance of any (based on how hard my classmates bs their application, I know he is better than that). Anyways, he has been in this awkward anxious stage and has not really felt like his succeeded in a way since graduating.

I want to get him a great gift. I want to congratulate him for the edication and have him look at it like... damn... I made it. I want it to bring joy to him everytime he looks at it. My own gifts, I cherish when they are like that. A bottle of whiskey I got at age 21, to drink at 30 with the men in my family; A poster hanging on my wall depicting braving the mountains and beating my fear of heights with a friend out in the west coast. These bring back memories upon memories of positivist to where I know I stand today relative to it.

Some of the ideas I thought of was a phrenology bust with engraving ont he back that reads that the phD program began with some kind words. Or perhaps, a copy of the DSM or a antique copy from the olden times of a psych. Idk. I'm not a phD.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What a lovely idea- especially nice since you kind of understand the stress associated with the whole process, which can be kind of hard to communicate to people who haven't been through the process of applying to grad school/residency/etc. I don't have any super great ideas, except that there will be a number of other major milestones along the way (proposing and defending thesis, general exam/comps, proposing and defending dissertation, applying to and matching to internship). Something small but nice to look forward to after a couple of the major milestones, perhaps? As a sort-of example, a friend of mine is getting married soon. We made them a nice box to use as a time capsule (to be opened at their 20th anniversary), but also are wrapping individually and putting in the box bottles of nice booze for them to open at other milestones (one for honeymoon, 1 yr, 5 yr etc). For other more discipline-specific ideas, might be helpful to know if they are going into clinical, cognitive, etc. I assume clinical just because I think that's the most common, but might not be the case. I do really like the idea of something nice and possibly engraved to put in their eventual-office; as a pretty sentimental person that's something I would appreciate sitting on my desk on days when I felt like throwing in the towel. Curious to know what you decide on!

If he is moving to a new town, doing some research and getting him a gift certificate to restaurant/shop/recreational opportunity there may be something to help him ease into and look forward to the transition. Even helping to pack/move can be a great help.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Helping them move to the area—if you can—would be a huge gesture.

How sweet of you. Maybe something with the school name on it. I think the thought behind it will mean more than the actual object. Most people won't think to give your friend something for this (very important) milestone. I bought myself a university T-shirt and wore it to death the summer before I started there. I'll keep thinking of ideas though. I love to come up with just the right gift!

Reactions: 2 users
How about a big stapler that can go through 30-100 pages at a time.

This sounds like a joke but it isn’t.

This is a very caring gesture! I'm in clinical and my mother bought me a DSM 5, which I found really touching for some reason. I think it just symbolised that I had finally "arrived". Every tme I use it for class or clinical work, I think of her and smile.