My Friend needs help!! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DGdentalgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soooooo my best friend and I (from High school) are looking to get into dental school together. :)
We went separate ways for college (he went to UC Berkeley and I went to UC Irvine).
He's a little scared because he finds his gpa kinda low (3.63), whereas I have a 3.93.
He already took his DAT and got a 23 AA (I will be taking mine soon).
Do you guys think we both will be able to get into a california school?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP :p

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to all Cali schools and OOS friendly schools and cross your fjngers

Reactions: 1 user
His 3.63 is not "kinda" low especially from UC Berkeley combined with a 23.

You guys can definitely get into California schools, apply and hope for the best but you both have great stats.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just don't mention that you want to go to school together in your app, interviews, anywhere...

Reactions: 1 users
His 3.63 is not "kinda" low especially from UC Berkeley combined with a 23.

You guys can definitely get into California schools, apply and hope for the best but you both have great stats.
Thanks so much! I will tell him this so he doesn't feel so bummed!

And @ajj70, I will remember to not do that ! THANKS! :)

He is gonna be just fine with that GPA and DAT combo

Those are enviable stats in the eyes of many. You should be proud of those achievements.

But, the confidence presented is not enviable.

Soooooo my best friend and I (from High school) are looking to get into dental school together. :)
The smiley face at the end made my day, thanks.:)

But, the confidence presented is not enviable.

I think he compares his GPA to mine and thinks his GPA is not high enough to compete, but I keep telling him that he did well and even went to Berkeley! I guess friend advice never fully sinks in all the time haha

this is a f*cking joke right?

Reactions: 6 users
not only myself, but many applications would kill for a GPA of 3.63 and an AA of a 23. (well maybe not here at SDN, but the other majority of applicants not on SDN)
thats amazing

i think your friend does need help in the sense of calming himself/herself down...
good job to her/him and you!
just relax and wait for the interviews

Is there a reason for this?

Several but mainly if the friend doesn't get in, will you really go there without that friend (or spouse or whatever for other people in a similar position). They aren't going to extend you an offer of admission if they don't think they have a chance of you accepting that offer. Many ask what other schools you have applied to, if you list Harvard, Columbia, UPenn and Meharry with high stats, you probably won't even get an invite to Meharry, for example, because they know there is no way you would go there if you got into Columbia. Same thing with stating on an application or in an interview that you are trying to get into the same dental school as someone else, what if they didn't like that someone else, they probably won't give you the offer because they want to protect their yield.

Yeah for sure!just apply to all the Cali schools and some OOD schools. Y'all both have great GPAs and his AA is awesome, DGdentalgirl (btw DG as in delta gamma?).

Several but mainly if the friend doesn't get in, will you really go there without that friend (or spouse or whatever for other people in a similar position). They aren't going to extend you an offer of admission if they don't think they have a chance of you accepting that offer. Many ask what other schools you have applied to, if you list Harvard, Columbia, UPenn and Meharry with high stats, you probably won't even get an invite to Meharry, for example, because they know there is no way you would go there if you got into Columbia. Same thing with stating on an application or in an interview that you are trying to get into the same dental school as someone else, what if they didn't like that someone else, they probably won't give you the offer because they want to protect their yield.

That's understandable. I hope they won't think this is the case with my fiancé and I if they interview with both of us. Perhaps the best course of action then is just not to mention any relationship at all though going to different schools is not a huge deal for either of us.