My Gpa what are the chances?

Started by Karebear07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Karebear07

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know you guys aren't psychic but I was just wondering if anyone you guys know or any of you guys personally have been in my situation. I have an overall GPA of 2.9 and a science gpa of 3.0 I was wondering what my chances would be for Ross and SGU? I still have not taken the MCATS and plan to take them in September and hopefully get in for the January 2010. What do you think my chances are?
 
take the mcat and then we'll talk.. right now your chances aren't too good at all.


so basically if I get above the MCAT averages than I will have a better chance. I have grade trends where at some quarters I have 4.0 and others are much lower due to family problems. I was wondering if they take that into consideration also. Also I have over 1000 volunteering/medical experience. Including places such as an internship at Stanford Medical Center, Optometry Offices, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i don't know what they take into consideration.. the trend that everyone not only med schools but also college's and other grad schools like to see is if your grades are going up. and yes getting the average will be better than getting bellow average, but what will be even better is getting above average... in the end however, no matter what people on here say it's all upto the admission committee. people on here have told others that yeah you're a shoe in.. but then they were rejected, or people said don't waste your time applying and people were accepted. the only sure way to know if you'll be accepted is to apply and see.

that's why these threads are so pointless. what are you going to do if you get rejected but people tell you on here that you should get accepted? tell the admission committee that people on SDN told you, you should get accepted so they should change their mind? or if people on on here tell you don't apply you won't get in, will you not apply or will you still take your chance and spend the $90 or whatever it is on the application?

so really it doesn't matter what we say.... right now your chance of being accepted is 0% because you haven't taken the mcat, and that's a requirement. once you have the mcat if you want to go to these schools apply and see what happens. if you're not confident have a back up plan and apply to other schools too.
 
I am applying regardless of what people say...I just wanted to see if there were people who have had similar GPA's as me and have gotten accepted or rejected. My backup plan is to get a masters and then reapply. I am only 21 years old so I am in no rush. Thanks for your advice though!
 
Last edited:
With your stats as they are, no MCAT, you could get in to one of the second tier schools most likely. With a 27 or higher you might be able to place into one of the big 4 depending on which semester you're applying for. It's hard to say because your GPA is somewhere in the middle. If it were like a 3.2 Cum with a 3.0 Sci, and a 27 I would say you'd have a really good shot. At any rate, give it a go, you've got nothing to lose but some app fee money.
 
First of all, don't even consider the Caribbean until you get your MCAT scores. Once those come in, with your 3.0/2.9:

MCAT < 24: Very, very little chance. Extracurricular activities wouldn't even help. Those are low stats for the Big 4, period.

MCAT 25-29: There's a chance, but it's far from guaranteed. You're GPA would be significantly lower than the average and your MCAT would be barely higher than the average. Apply early, hope, but not guaranteed. AND...if this is the best you can do on the MCAT with all the prep time you have, and considering the GPA, you might want to acknowledge the fact that even if you get into a Top 4, you won't be a star down there. So even if you do get in, realize that you'll be taking on a lot of debt for a degree in the Caribbean and probably a lower tier residency. Maybe just do DO in this case.

MCAT > 30: Good job. The best news here is not that you can get into a Big 4, it's that you're competitive. And for god's sake, you're only 21. Get a Masters...do very well in a master's program. You'll probably have to get a job afterwards for a year building a really good resume (think research). Bottom line, you can be 24 and half-way through a second-class Caribbean school destined for Family Practice. OR you can be 24 and getting into a US school with absolutely nothing standing in your way.

Just my 2 cents...
 
Non traditional apllicant 35y, RN, 3.1 averall gpa, 3.5 BCPM and 27P mcat. Can someone tell me my chances in the big 4. and if I get an offer from one of them, will it be easy to get residency in family medicine after I graduate.

RussianJoo or anybody I need your honest opinion
 
well if you look at the averages for the in comming classes then one would assume that you should get in. however, we all know what happens when people assume.. they make an ass out of u and me... so with that.. spend the $75x4 and apply.. nothing is easy coming from the carib.. if you have average or above average USMLE scores and good work ethic and apply widely you should be able to get a family med residency. but then again no one knows what Maobama is going to do in 4 years and how hard or easy it will be to get into residency, he might cut all physician salaries by half or more and then no one will want to go into medicine and all residencies will be wide open, or he might double the salaries of FM and IM docs and everyone will want to go into that instead of Derm and rads.. if you applied today you shouldn't have a huge problem unless you failed the USMLEs the first time... but in 4 years? for all i know one of the middle east countries or North Korea is going to launch some nuclear missiles at us and we won't have to worry about residencies.
 
RussianJoo. What if I take the MCAT again and get a 30+. Are some DO schools within reach?
 
You might get into Saba for May 2010. The other three need the MCAT so noone can assess your chances till you write it. With that GPA, if you can pull off a 27-28 you're a shoe in for Ross and AUC. SGU is harder, you will need a solid post bacc year or a low to mid 30s on the MCAT.