What are my chances at for top 3 Caribbean schools (Ross, SGU, AUC) with a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adm105

Reaction score
Graduating with a degree in Human Biology with cGPA 3.5 and 4 withdrawals over a span of 3 years (2 my sophomore year, 1 my junior year, and 1 my senior year) all in science courses. MCAT at 501 and I have some decent volunteering, internships, and shadowing experiences. I can explain the first 2 withdrawals (family emergency, health issues) but I don't have any good reasons for the latter two outside of lack of time management and poor study habits.

Prefer not to get into a discussion over why not to go Caribbean (I've been through it), but realistically what are my chances of getting in if I were to apply as I'm sure even Ross and SGU have standards.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Improve your MCAT and you might take a shot at USMD/DO

Reactions: 1 users
You have a decent chance at some DO schools. 4 years ago, I got in with 3.7/500, so unless things have drastically change, I'd try DO before going to the caribbean. Otherwise your chances at getting into a caribbean school is basically 100% as long you can get loans and pay the tuition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above. Get that MCAT up and you'll probably look good for at least DO. You'll almost certainly get into whatever Caribbean school you want right now.

Graduating with a degree in Human Biology with cGPA 3.5 and 4 withdrawals over a span of 3 years (2 my sophomore year, 1 my junior year, and 1 my senior year). MCAT at 501 and I have some decent volunteering, internships, and shadowing experiences. I can explain the first 2 withdrawals (family emergency, health issues) but I don't have any good reasons for the latter two outside of lack of time management and poor study habits.

Prefer not to get into a discussion over why not to go Caribbean (I've been through it), but realistically what are my chances of getting in if I were to apply as I'm sure even Ross and SGU have standards.
The top Caribbean schools can be a viable option for some, in particular those who will be happy in primary care. The top schools you mention all have published match rates comparable to US schools; about 94%.

From what you wrote, however, the red flags I see for you are not the withdrawals; they are the lack of time management and the poor study habits.

There is zero room in Caribbean schools for these handicaps if you hope to graduate successfully. The financial consequences of not graduating are dire. If you're not 100% certain you have fixed these issues, consider this pathway carefully. The advice you have received re DO schools is good advice.

Reactions: 1 user
The top Caribbean schools can be a viable option for some, in particular those who will be happy in primary care. The top schools you mention all have published match rates comparable to US schools; about 94%.
Unfortunately, the "published" match rates do not include all the students who were not allow to sit for the USMLE or were otherwise eliminated before graduation. There is no third party verification of the advertised graduation or placement rates and a comparison of acceptance and match numbers indicates significant attrition.

You'll get in to Caribbean but improve MCAT by a few points and maybe take postbacc for a year and apply DO

- An M4 at Ross

Unfortunately, the "published" match rates do not include all the students who were not allow to sit for the USMLE or were otherwise eliminated before graduation. There is no third party verification of the advertised graduation or placement rates and a comparison of acceptance and match numbers indicates significant attrition.
Agreed.

ffs. please for the love of god go to trade school, save up for retirement, and enjoy your fuggin life. dont waste it on medicine.
very useful reply on a medicine forum...woulda been semi-valid if you said don't waste it pursuing medicine in the caribbean.