my high school GPA is C and i want to study pharmacy !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faiz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody !

I want to study pharmacy at NSU and I'll start in January , but the problem is my high school GPA is C and I have to study any major in the first year then I have to get (3 out of 4) :eek: to change the major to biology which is (pre-phrmacy ) .

I need your help guys !! because I think 3 in the first year is very difficult to get !! if there is any other way to change the major to biology !!

thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody !

I want to study pharmacy at NSU and I'll start in January , but the problem is my high school GPA is C and I have to study any major in the first year then I have to get (3 out of 4) :eek: to change the major to biology which is (pre-phrmacy ) .

I need your help guys !! because I think 3 in the first year is very difficult to get !! if there is any other way to change the major to biology !!

thanks !

Um, I never heard of having a certain GPA to start as a certain major. Also, biology isn't necessarily a pre-pharmacy major. I'm sure a lot of pre-pharm students major in biology, but that is not a requirement for pharmacy schools. A 3.0 during your first year of college should not be that difficult because you're going ot start off with general ed classes, and these classes aren't difficult. Biology 1 and General Chem 1 might be a little difficult for you, but if you put in the effort, you should easily get a 3.0+ your first year. If you go wild and party all the time then you won't be getting a 3.0, unless you're one of those stinky people that get A's without studying. :p

Hi everybody !

thanks !

Sorry, but I'm gonna tell you to buck up... getting a B average will need to be done to get accepted to pharmacy school anyway. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you don't have to be a biology major to get into pharmay school. As long as you finish the prereqs, then you can do whatever. Just study and take advantage of school resources (tutoring, etc.) to get that A/B grade. I did bad in high school chemistry also and now I'm making straight As.

Are you applying for a 5-7 year program ? (undergrad + pharm school)?

if not, your hs gpa doesn't mean anything when you apply for pharmacy schools (my unweighted hs gpa is lower than my college gpa). you get to start from scratch again, and you DO NOT need to be a bio major. as the poster above me mentioned, just get the pre-reqs done and take advantage of all the tutoring service available.

any major that you enjoy is the best major for pharmacy as you will perform the best.

I think chemistry is better than biology for pharmacy.

you mean that I can study whatever I want but I have to complete the requirements for 2 years and get A ,or B GPA to be accepted in the pharmacy college ?

but the question is that NSU told me that biology is the pre-pharmacy !! so they said you have to study any major in the first year then get A,B GPA to change the major to biology .

thank you all for help !!!

you mean that I can study whatever I want but I have to complete the requirements for 2 years and get A ,or B GPA to be accepted in the pharmacy college ?

but the question is that NSU told me that biology is the pre-pharmacy !! so they said you have to study any major in the first year then get A,B GPA to change the major to biology .

thank you all for help !!!

That is absolutely correct. I'm not sure what the NSU deal is about, but prepharmacy is a trackcourse of suggested prerequisite classes that all pharmacy schools require, like general chem and biology. Some pharm schools require other classes like an economics class, which is usually not on the track and you'll just have to sign up for it as an elective.

Most people go with a bio major or chem major because it's easy to fulfill all of those courses since they lay within in those given majors. But you can be an art major and still get into pharm school (medical and pharm schools like having a diversity and don't want all of their students to have science backgrounds)

faiz is referring to a very specific 0-6 program at NOVA.

You apply out of high school. To be eligible for the automatic acceptance to the pharmacy school at NOVA, you definitely need to take the biology major over there, take the prereqs along with a certain score on PCAT (I think it is 75). So yes, if he wants to be part of that automatic admission program, then he/she has to do that.

However, I recommend simply going to FAU and doing well over there. Nova's undergraduate Farquhar school is considered PRIVATE which means you will be paying $20,000 a year in tuition versus only $3,500 instate at FAU. A large difference!!

I recommend taking any major at FAU and just focusing on the prereqs. If you do extremely well and get some pharmacy experience (either shadowing or pharm tech), then you can try to apply to NOVA after completion of the prerequisites listed on their website (I think it is about 2 years worth of courses).