my intern drama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxicet

warning: I'm addictive!
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I like to be dramatic, here’s my analogy between choosing an intern position and marriage…

I was in contact with the district manager of Walgreens last week, and he told me he was going to ask around and see which store needed me, and he’d get back to me. That was last Wednesday. I decided to walk into Target on Friday and talk to the pharmacist there to ask with whom I would need to get in contact to obtain an intern position. We ended up talking for quite a while, and she said she did need somebody for every-other-weekend…the bad thing, she said was that it might take a while for me to get hired because I’d have to jump through a bunch of corporate hoops in the main office even though she needs me right away. She said she’d pass along my info to the pharmacy manager, and told me to call him on Monday to remind him that I was interested.

Fast forward to today. I called Target, and he told me he was really busy at the moment, but the pharmacist had told him about me, and he’d surely get back to me later today or tomorrow. Then Walgreens called me and I didn’t answer the phone because I knew he wanted commitment, and so I let him leave a message. The message said he found a store for me, and he needed me to go in and fill out the paperwork and consent for the drug test, etc. I guess we skipped the interview?!?!? I didn’t expect things to move so fast, and I’m still waiting on Target.

So here’s my drama….I feel like a two-timing pharmacy *****! It’s like Walgreens has asked me to marry him, but I have Target over here on the side, and I don’t want to let him go. Target’s far more attractive, but he’s unsure of what the future holds. He likes me, but can’t promise anything. Walgreens isn’t perfect, and I’m not sure if I can see myself with him forever, but he wants me now. What’s a girl to do? I’m afraid of commitment! I don’t want to let Walgreen’s offer slip through the cracks, just in case things don’t work out with Target. But how can I say yes when I know my heart belongs to someone else?

The Walgreens store is very near to where I live, but it’s a 24-hour store and it’s very busy. I’m unsure of what my hours would be at this point. At Target, they would want me to work from 3-7 on Friday, 9-6 on Sat, and 11-3 on Sun, of every other weekend, and the pharmacy closes for lunch from 1:30 to 2 everyday, and there’s no drive-thru.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like a long term commitment. You need to sleep with target and then walgreens to see which one fits you better.

But seriously, I think one of the most important aspects of an intern position is to go where you believe you will learn more. This really depends on the pharmacists and the number of prescriptions. So talk to the pharmacists at Target and Walgreens; ask them what is expected of you, the training process, etc.

As of now, I would just go along with the Walgreens offer while wait for the Target offer. If you end up liking Target more than Walgreens, then just dump Walgreens. But then again, you dont want to burn your bridge with Walgreens so let Walgreens down slowly. This does sound like a relationship!! It is always better to have choices.

lol :laugh:

I'm actually going through the same kind of thing with Walgreen's and Rite-Aid but not as progressed as you are. So here's my suggestion:

If it was any other job, I would say accept Walgreens and then dump him when Target wants you. But, since it's an intern position and obviously you don't want to ruin your reputation with any company, probably not a good idea.

Which one pays more? I would guess Walgreen's. But probably not by that much more to make a huge difference. So maybe, call Target and tell him that Walgreen's has already proposed to you. Then proceed to tell him that you are still very much interested in him BUT you don't want to say no to Walgreen's and then end up with nothing in the end. Tell Target that if he wants you, then you would really appreciate it if he could please speed up the process and give you a definite answer. Be nice about it when talking to Target/Walgreen's, don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here, k?

(wow...that was weird)...I swear I'm not psycho :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I committed to Walgreens and the very next day I got a call from a hospital that I was interested in. I told them that I was sorry and had already accepted a position. I felt that it was more honorable to keep my word. It's only for the summer, anyway.

The Walgreens I work at is a 24 hour store and the busiest in the district. My hours vary, but I always get 40 hours a week. Walgreens also has projects for you to complete. Part of my work day is devoted to these projects, so I'm not just filling and dealing with customers all day long. Their internship program is most likely the same in your area. Maybe you can ask them some questions first, then make your decision.

Okay I just got a Tech position at Target last week. There is alot of corporate red tape. You have to be interviewed by the Pharmacy Manager, Store manager, and the HR director. They do a background check and then you will here from them within 7-10 days. Then they call you in and make the offer and tell you to go and take a Drug test. It takes 7 days for them to get the results. Then you can start. So basically if you want begin working next month go with Target. If you want to work @ Walgreens now and not have a life otherwise(they like their employees to be very flexible) then go with Walgreens.

BMBiology said:
This sounds like a long term commitment. You need to sleep with target and then walgreens to see which one fits you better.

But seriously, I think one of the most important aspects of an intern position is to go where you believe you will learn more. This really depends on the pharmacists and the number of prescriptions. So talk to the pharmacists at Target and Walgreens; ask them what is expected of you, the training process, etc.

As of now, I would just go along with the Walgreens offer while wait for the Target offer. If you end up liking Target more than Walgreens, then just dump Walgreens. But then again, you dont want to burn your bridge with Walgreens so let Walgreens down slowly. This does sound like a relationship!! It is always better to have choices.

I already did sleep with Walgreens. How do you think I got the proposal? ;) Just Kidding.

Do you mean that I'd learn more with a higher or lower prescription volume? Higher = more experiences, or lower = more time to evaluate each presription and spend time with patients?

Roxicet said:
I already did sleep with Walgreens. How do you think I got the proposal? ;) Just Kidding.

Do you mean that I'd learn more with a higher or lower prescription volume? Higher = more experiences, or lower = more time to evaluate each presription and spend time with patients?

I think that really depends on you. When I was working at Kaiser, we had so many prescriptions. I did learn a lot, not from the pharmacists because they were so busy, but because I made the effort to learn things myself. I think it is good to work for a pharmacy that varies in the volume of prescriptions during the day so you have the time to talk to the pharmacist when it is not too busy. I think it is more important that you work with a pharmacist that is knowledgable and is willing to take the time to train you, rather than the Rx volume. That is the most important factor.

rxgal8 said:
lol :laugh:

I'm actually going through the same kind of thing with Walgreen's and Rite-Aid but not as progressed as you are. So here's my suggestion:

If it was any other job, I would say accept Walgreens and then dump him when Target wants you. But, since it's an intern position and obviously you don't want to ruin your reputation with any company, probably not a good idea.

Which one pays more? I would guess Walgreen's. But probably not by that much more to make a huge difference. So maybe, call Target and tell him that Walgreen's has already proposed to you. Then proceed to tell him that you are still very much interested in him BUT you don't want to say no to Walgreen's and then end up with nothing in the end. Tell Target that if he wants you, then you would really appreciate it if he could please speed up the process and give you a definite answer. Be nice about it when talking to Target/Walgreen's, don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here, k?

(wow...that was weird)...I swear I'm not psycho :D

The problem is...Walgreens has no idea that I've been seeing Target. As far as Walgreens was concerned, he was my one and only. And I wouldn't dare tell Target about Walgreens, because he would never look at me the same. Target would like to think that he's special too. It could never progress to a higher level if every time he looked at me, he couldn't shake the mental picture of me being intimate with Walgreens. Target would rather hire someone that's willing to wait for him; he doesn't want sloppy seconds. :laugh: I swear I'm not psycho either...just part-time drama queen! :D

dgroulx said:
I committed to Walgreens and the very next day I got a call from a hospital that I was interested in. I told them that I was sorry and had already accepted a position. I felt that it was more honorable to keep my word. It's only for the summer, anyway.

The Walgreens I work at is a 24 hour store and the busiest in the district. My hours vary, but I always get 40 hours a week. Walgreens also has projects for you to complete. Part of my work day is devoted to these projects, so I'm not just filling and dealing with customers all day long. Their internship program is most likely the same in your area. Maybe you can ask them some questions first, then make your decision.

Actually, this isn't just for summer, since here at MWU-CPG, we have school year-round. It's a part-time intern position; I'll be attending classes simultaneously. They said they'd work around my schedule. The projects sound interesting. I'll be sure to ask about that.

How much would it hurt my integrity to work for Walgreens for a month and then switch to Target if it comes through? Will they forget about it in the next two years before I graduate? Or will I be damaged goods forever?

BMBiology said:
I think that really depends on you. When I was working at Kaiser, we had so many prescriptions. I did learn a lot, not from the pharmacists because they were so busy, but because I made the effort to learn things myself. I think it is good to work for a pharmacy that varies in the volume of prescriptions during the day so you have the time to talk to the pharmacist when it is not too busy. I think it is more important that you work with a pharmacist that is knowledgable and is willing to take the time to train you, rather than the Rx volume. That is the most important factor.

thanks! :thumbup:

Roxicet said:

You must be goooooood! :love: and :thumbup:

PharmDmomma said:
Okay I just got a Tech position at Target last week. There is alot of corporate red tape. You have to be interviewed by the Pharmacy Manager, Store manager, and the HR director. They do a background check and then you will here from them within 7-10 days. Then they call you in and make the offer and tell you to go and take a Drug test. It takes 7 days for them to get the results. Then you can start. So basically if you want begin working next month go with Target. If you want to work @ Walgreens now and not have a life otherwise(they like their employees to be very flexible) then go with Walgreens.

One of the reasons I wanted to start working immediately is because I too am a mother. I will be driving my son and daughter to TX on Thursday to spend June and July with their grandparents, and I will try to cram in as many hours working as I can during that time when I'll have no family responsibilities. So on that point I'm leaning towards walgreens. I also need to arrange child care for when they come back in August. On that point, I'm leaning more towards Target because they were clear that I would be consistently working every other weekend, and as you said, the Walgreens schedule might be more demanding, including late night hours (the latest Target ever closes is 7PM).

How do you like working for Target so far?

*****.. How can u... :smuggrin: j/k

Hey.. do what's best for Roxicet.. there is no loyalty and commitment between employee and employer. You think Wags or Target will take care of you if they have to lay you off when they don't need you?

Don't feel bad. Take care of Roxicet first. If you like Target..call em and say... "hey..Wags is giving me this, can you do better?"

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a bad taste in my mouth from corporate pharmacies. i was hired in april to work as a part-time intern at wal-mart. i told them i couldn't work until after finals. i ended up having to go in and do some orientation stuff just before finals because they have to have that on record within a month of hiring. it was RIDICULOUS! i was there for nearly 4 hours the day before my first final sitting and watching stupid training modules on a computer. most of them had nothing to do w/working in the pharmacy. i mean they were like "how to bag someone's groceries" and stuff. and the whole time i'm thinking "i have to know over 200 brand/generic names for my final tomorrow and i'm doing this!?" ...so now to the really bad part... that all happened on thursday. the following monday the pharmacy manager called to tell me he had to "let go" his two most recent hires due to budget cuts and payroll decrease. i was the newest (i hadn't even gone in a day to work!) so i was OUT! it was awful 'cause i know that he felt bad about doing it. it wasn't his decision at all; it was wal-mart. so now i'm seriously thinking that retail is not for me... at least not for a big company like wal-mart. i'm sure it would be a good learning experience but it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$

Roxicet said:
Roxicet, you r so funny! :D
I had a very similiar situation so I chose the one, who demands more time commitment and moved fast towards me. I chose it because it was a sure thing and want me more than the other slow bas#$@d.

BMBiology said:
But seriously, I think one of the most important aspects of an intern position is to go where you believe you will learn more. This really depends on the pharmacists and the number of prescriptions.

BMBiology:I agree with you!! That's one of my pure reason to choose my husband!!! :eek: I think it's important to meet a pharmacist that I can have a good chemistry with. Then, learning process can go easily as you feel comfortable to ask and try under his/her supervision.

Roxicet, you can divorce anytime so...just go for it! :laugh:

pharmpoke said:
i have a bad taste in my mouth from corporate pharmacies.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm sorry....that was really funny in the context of the analogy I have going here. That's awful! I have accepted that all corporate pharmacies are bastard-covered-bastards with bastard filling....it must have been the bastard filling that you were referring to. :smuggrin:

It happens all the time...people start at one place, then a better offer comes through and they leave. Dollars, work hours and benefits are the name of the game in retail, and no one will blame you for leaving "flexible" work hours (meaning YOU'RE the one who has to be flexible) at Walgreens for a more normal schedule at Target. You can even tell the people at Walgreens that's the reason you're leaving. If you were a good employee, and behaved professionally, and gave appropriate notice before leaving, they'll be happy to have you back once you have your license. If that's what you want.

So just take care of your needs, and let the chains worry about theirs.

Ah Hah!!!

Remember I told you it takes about a month before you actually start working? I took my drug test on Wednesday last week. They told me that it takes 7 days before they get the results. So I am assuming I will hear from them on Friday at the latest. I am curious to work with the new Rx bottles(clear RX), it should be pretty cool.

Well, I went down to Walgreens today, and the interview was skipped altogether...they just had me start entering my info on the computer, take a silly skills test, and then they sent me to a nearby lab for a drug test. Pending the results, I think I married walgreens. :scared: One of the questions asked during the skills test was "I do not make commitments I don't intend to keep." True/False :oops: I answered "true" with a guilt-ridden hand.

My New Year's resolution for 3 years running has been to crash random weddings at the moment they're supposed to say "I do" and save them from marriage. :laugh: Where were you guys today when I needed you? I needed you to run down Aisle 3 and scream "Don't do it! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!," since I couldn't do it for myself. Is that too much to ask?

All the commitment you ever owe your employer is to be at work on time when scheduled and to give them two weeks' notice when you quit.

Unless you've signed a contract.

So here’s an update on my drama...

I had to face the truth and realize that no matter how much I tried, I just could not make myself love Walgreens. It was a marriage of convenience that lasted 8 months; I divorced Walgreens in March. It wasn’t until I bumped into Target again in the Fall and ended up having a short affair (I had a 5-week rotation there) that I realized how truly unhappy I was and how much better life would have been with Target. I finally decided that it would be best for both Walgreens and I if we split up. Luckily, we had no children (I didn’t sign any contracts or accept any tuition reimbursement :) ) Then last week, I met up with Target again, and he asked me how things were going with Walgreens. I mentioned that we were no longer together, and Target asked me if I would like to hook up. I couldn’t’ resist the offer, even though I had sworn off such commitments for a while so that I could concentrate on finishing school with a decent GPA. Target and I are a great match….we’ll surely live happily ever after! :oops:

That's funny, because I work as an intern at Target, but am thinking of working for Walgreen's after I graduate. What I have seen at Target is pretty much a complete lack of pharmacist support in favor of the bottom line. My store is getting rid of lunch breaks and extending hours from 9-7 to 9-9. Sunday hours will now be 9-6 instead of 11-3. Target's Pharmacy is also now open every holiday except Christmas and Thanksgiving, when previously they closed for July 4th, New Year's Day, Labor Day, and Memorial Day. The last time we had a visit from our District Manager, he actually reprimanded our pharmacist because it was 1PM and she was checking a prescription the customer wasn't scheduled to pick up until 3PM. Instead, he thought she should have been out in the aisles "marketing the pharmacy" to the customers or "guests" as Target likes to call them. Pharmacists are there to take care of the patients that we do have...we are not there to go out and recruit new patients. Those horrendous coupons do a fine enough job of bringing in tons of new people.... :( I do hope you are happy with your marriage to Target. I, however, plan to divorce sometime soon.

OSURxgirl said:
That's funny, because I work as an intern at Target, but am thinking of working for Walgreen's after I graduate. What I have seen at Target is pretty much a complete lack of pharmacist support in favor of the bottom line. My store is getting rid of lunch breaks and extending hours from 9-7 to 9-9. Sunday hours will now be 9-6 instead of 11-3. Target's Pharmacy is also now open every holiday except Christmas and Thanksgiving, when previously they closed for July 4th, New Year's Day, Labor Day, and Memorial Day. The last time we had a visit from our District Manager, he actually reprimanded our pharmacist because it was 1PM and she was checking a prescription the customer wasn't scheduled to pick up until 3PM. Instead, he thought she should have been out in the aisles "marketing the pharmacy" to the customers or "guests" as Target likes to call them. Pharmacists are there to take care of the patients that we do have...we are not there to go out and recruit new patients. Those horrendous coupons do a fine enough job of bringing in tons of new people.... :( I do hope you are happy with your marriage to Target. I, however, plan to divorce sometime soon.

Thanks for your perspective . Hmm. The grass is always greener on the other side! When I was on rotation at Target in September, they had extended the hours too…9-9 weekdays, and 9-6 weekends. The pharmacy was still able to close for lunch, however.

All retail pharmacies will have their own problems. In another life, I would have gone on to a residency and become a drug information specialist :oops: Some of the reasons I disliked Walgreens were:
1. Lack of breaks in an 8-hour shift
2. Drive thru (enough said)
3. Stapled bags (I like to get one last look at the vials, and “show and tell” counsel-difficult to do that with stapled bags…I know, nobody said I CAN’T open them, it’s just very inconvenient and some patients make faces like you’re invading their personal space when you open a stapled bag…and if stuff falls out in their car, it’s your fault!)
4. Too much dependence on technology and very high Rx volumes are mistakes waiting to happen (Yes they have an awesome computer system…but in my store the counting scales and automatic cells were often wrong, and people take it for granted that the computer is always right, and become less careful…a floater pharmacist verified 4 teaspoonfuls of amoxicillin for a 2-year-old)

Hospital anyone?

Some of our pharmacists are on the floors processing orders from the nursing units directly interacting with physicians, nurses and patients. And we're planning to expand those roles to virtually every unit in the hospital....

ZpackSux said:
Hospital anyone?

Some of our pharmacists are on the floors processing orders from the nursing units directly interacting with physicians, nurses and patients. And we're planning to expand those roles to virtually every unit in the hospital....

In the hospital system I am familiar with, this is the model for all pharmacists. They spend 1/2 their workweek on the floor and 1/2 in the dispensing pharmacy.

Everyone does clinical and residences are not required.
Training is provided on the job.

The only place in this hospital system (Norton Healthcare, Louisville) where residences are required is in the pediatric hospital. There you can get by with a one-year residency except for the specialties (NICU, transplants, oncology, etc.).