My interview experience...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markelmarcel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well... I had an interesting (to say the least) interview experience at Chatham this past weekend.

Out of 55 applicants at the early interview, I was the only one (besides I think 1 other person, maybe 2 at most) that did not have a related bachelor's degree. 99% were bio, kines, pre-pt, ex. phys, etc. Furthermore, if they weren't in school most of them were working in Out patient facilities as pt-techs or aids. (They had everyone stand up, introduce themselves, say what their bachelor's degree was and where they were from and if they weren't in school what they were doing currently.)

I didn't know whether I should feel impressed that I got the interview since I have an education degree and was the only one not already in the field, or if I should be worried that so many more people that could be deemed "more qualified" were there up against me. (If I could have a job as an aide, I would, but there aren't really any opportunities in my town, but I had tried to find some... I'd rather be at a full-time job making over minimum wage money to save for school, then searching for an aide job that's not going to happen/make minimum wage.)

Anyway... Since I had just went to the open house, a lot of it was a repeat. I had already asked a lot of questions, gotten a tour, etc, but it was still nice to see the facilities again and all of the 1st year students were really nice. (The 2nd years were also nice.)

The actual interview, in my opinion, was very strange. It seemed like my interviewer didn't read the questions beforehand and he read off of a paper instead of having a conversation with us, he didn't comment on anything either of us said (there were two applicants in the room), for the most part the way he read the questions was so confusing it left me trying to figure out exactly WHAT was being asked of me, before I could even begin to try to think of an answer. All of my answers dealt with my experience as a teacher, and I felt bad because I do have so many OTHER experiences (like right now I am doing research with my anatomy professor) that I just couldn't wind into my answers. For me, the easiest thing was sticking to what I did have knowledge in and with leadership/assertiveness/etc it was teaching. (I sort of felt like they didn't really get to know me very well from my answers, but I hope I sounded better than the other applicant who's leadership experiences were being a house painter...:p)

I left feeling a little panicked... but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens in about in a month. I just hope that my teaching background is seen as being something really positive and not something that will negatively set me apart from the other students.

I have yet to hear back from the other 2 schools I applied to, so I'm feeling doubtful that I will get acceptances from them, so Chatham is sort of my only shot (and it definitely helps that I fell in love with the program when I visited!!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that the interviewer treated it that way. I would think that. They would try to get to know you and you personality more you know? Anyway, good luck with Chatam, I don't want to jinx you so I'll leave it at that. And having an education degree shouldn't coubt against you, some people have dance degrees and are in a program (dancerdpt)

hey markel,

sorry that you had a "strange" experience...I went to Pitt's open house this past weekend and had a weird experience myself. The school was fine, etc but I guess the open house was more for high school kids thinking about college there. I felt a little let down that I didn't get to meet any professors or anything. I talked with a 2nd year student there and she was really nice and helpful. Told me all about student life,etc and the good things about the program. I guess I was just a little bummed that I didn't get more of a welcome, considering I was an accepted student :cool:. It hasn't really made my decision, but I need to figure out tuition, etc...

sorry that you had a "strange" experience...I went to Pitt's open house this past weekend and had a weird experience myself. The school was fine, etc but I guess the open house was more for high school kids thinking about college there. I felt a little let down that I didn't get to meet any professors or anything. I talked with a 2nd year student there and she was really nice and helpful. Told me all about student life,etc and the good things about the program. I guess I was just a little bummed that I didn't get more of a welcome, considering I was an accepted student :cool:. It hasn't really made my decision, but I need to figure out tuition, etc...

I went to an open house there and have helped with a couple as a student. I've never found them particularly helpful unless you are just getting a feel for the university in general, and they're so crowded too. But are you sure you didn't meet any faculty? I know they were there, and that's usually who does the PT "talk". If you really want to see more of what it's really like though, come visit on a weekday if you can. There will be lots of students hanging around, and you should be able to sit in on a class or two if you want, meet some faculty, and get a better feel for how things are on a "normal" day. Also, they host a "Pitt Preview" day (in March I think) that is open to anyone that has been accepted to the DPT program. It is much more program specific and includes sample lectures and other more informative sessions.

To the OP: Good luck! I came from an education background and was accepted early decision there- so don't count yourself out. I also know more than a handful of people that gave up their spots there months later to go somewhere else, including myself; so their waitlist does seem to get tapped into. Don't give up on the schools you haven't heard from either; it is still VERY early in the process!

hey everyone! This probably shouldn't go under this thread, but I couldn't resist replying here because it's so rare to see people talking about Pittsburgh on this forum.

I've recently received an acceptance from Pitt and have been trying to do some research about the school. I've searched through this forum and haven't been able find too many threads on Pitt...even old ones! This is a bit odd. But I'm so glad I found this!

Would anyone be willing to share more info about the program, school, community, living expenses, student life at Pitt? And for the ones who went to the open house, how did you like it there in terms of the school, the community around it, and the city? Though I understand the actual open house experience wasn't too great...

I am from the west coast and have never been to Pittsburgh or anywhere in the east coast, so any info at all would be extremely helpful! Unfortunately, I won't be able to travel there to visit the school anytime soon, so I'm relying on any feedback I can get.

From its rank, it seems like Pitt has a really good program. Also, compared to the private schools I'm applying to in my state, the out-of-state tuition at Pitt doesn't look bad at all ($24K if I read correctly)...so I'm really considering going there, but before I make that decision, I really need to learn more about everything and anything about Pitt!

Thanks guys!

The actual interview, in my opinion, was very strange. It seemed like my interviewer didn't read the questions beforehand and he read off of a paper instead of having a conversation with us, he didn't comment on anything either of us said (there were two applicants in the room), for the most part the way he read the questions was so confusing it left me trying to figure out exactly WHAT was being asked of me, before I could even begin to try to think of an answer.

I do agree the questions were very unique and detailed. My interviewer gave us a few minutes to process the question and respond. I wasn't really sure how they could determine who we were from the questions asked... she did say something about behavioral studies and the way we answer questions now could predict how we behave in the the future... um I hope not. Haha.

I'm not sure if you talked to any other applicants there but the feeling I got from several of them they were really interested in other schools (the most common being Temple). We even had one in our group for the PBL mock session say to the 2nd year students the program seems a lot easier than most schools... I couldn't believe she said that!

I hope in a month we find out we're future classmates! :D

I'm not sure if you talked to any other applicants there but the feeling I got from several of them they were really interested in other schools (the most common being Temple).
Interesting....it was 50/50 at Temple. The other applicants with me were really interested in Arcadia also and Slippery Rock or something like that, but also had the applicants from Oregon State University and people from Washington state say how much they want to attend Temple.

I do agree the questions were very unique and detailed. My interviewer gave us a few minutes to process the question and respond. I wasn't really sure how they could determine who we were from the questions asked... she did say something about behavioral studies and the way we answer questions now could predict how we behave in the the future... um I hope not. Haha.

My boyfriend also told me that this was a possibility... More of a psychological evaluation. Haha. It was definitely very odd, though! I think I had good specific examples, I guess I just kept thinking, boy I wish I could count on something other than my teaching experience, but I do think it makes me a strong candidate, hopefully they think so too!

I'm not sure if you talked to any other applicants there but the feeling I got from several of them they were really interested in other schools (the most common being Temple). We even had one in our group for the PBL mock session say to the 2nd year students the program seems a lot easier than most schools... I couldn't believe she said that!

I hope in a month we find out we're future classmates! :D

I did the tour, interview and then the PBL so when our little group got together we were like WHAT WAS THAT?! Haha. I heard a lot of other people commenting on how odd the questions were, so that made me feel better.

I did hear a good handful or so of people talking about their interest in Temple/elsewhere... Chatham is my #1 so I want that acceptance!!!

I can't believe the applicant said that! Haha! Too funny! I felt like the ugly little duckling at times, but what's done is done and hopefully, somehow, from those questions they got some type of idea about us.

And yes! We will have to keep each other posted! It would be so cool for us to become classmates since we are internet "friends" (ok, almost! ;) )

Also- I couldn't believe the amount of negative talk I heard about Pitt at the open house and the interview. It seems like a LOT of people dislike the program and how they are treated there. One girl said they are very clique-y. I think the main difference between a large school like Pitt and a smaller school like Chatham is in how you like to be treated. Some people don't care if they are just a number or "institutionalized" and pushed through the process (my boyfriend is one of those people) and some people are more sensitive and like to feel that they are a part of something or a "family" (that would be me!) I am disappointed I didn't get to go to the open house, but what can ya do!

From its rank, it seems like Pitt has a really good program. Also, compared to the private schools I'm applying to in my state, the out-of-state tuition at Pitt doesn't look bad at all ($24K if I read correctly)...so I'm really considering going there, but before I make that decision, I really need to learn more about everything and anything about Pitt!

Thanks guys!

I e-mailed Pitt about the tuition because where it says $24K it also says for the academic year. They replied that the $24K did not include the Summer term. So, the total for each year would be more like $36K.

I e-mailed Pitt about the tuition because where it says $24K it also says for the academic year. They replied that the $24K did not include the Summer term. So, the total for each year would be more like $36K.

Oh, ouch. Thanks for adding that in here... That is not cool. I thought the $24k included summer.... Hmm... Well, that makes Chatham about $20K less than Pitt... That would Pitt at $96k for the 3 years... although, I don't fully understand how the last year works with the 2 semester clinical experience in UPMC with a stipend. I had heard that you don't pay tuition your last year since you are technically working for UPMC. Don't know that for a fact, though.

That would Pitt at $96k for the 3 years... although, I don't fully understand how the last year works with the 2 semester clinical experience in UPMC with a stipend. I had heard that you don't pay tuition your last year since you are technically working for UPMC. Don't know that for a fact, though.

This would be great info to know, as it would make a large difference on my consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
although, I don't fully understand how the last year works with the 2 semester clinical experience in UPMC with a stipend. I had heard that you don't pay tuition your last year since you are technically working for UPMC. Don't know that for a fact, though.

It is a 3 semester internship, and yes you do pay tuition for all 3 semesters.

I graduated from Pitt's PT program and wanted to share some insight. The previous posts are correct regarding the last year: it is a 3 semester internship, you do pay for tuition for those semesters however you do get a stipend. When I was in school there, the stipend did not cover the cost of tuition for those semesters.

I understand that $36,000 a year isnt chump change, but you must keep in mind that Pitt's program is #2 in the country. USC's program, which continues to be ranked #1, last time I looked was upwards of $48,000 a year.

Im happy that the original poster loved Chatham's program but I think it would be unwise to compare Pitt and Chatham based off of the cost. Chatham, while I was in school in the area, was no where near the program Pitt's was/is. Just keep things in perspective when looking at the dollar signs.

I can also answer questions related to Pitt's program, the campus, city, etc. if needed.

Hmm..I have to take this into consideration then.
Although $36K does sound more reasonable. I found it difficult to believe that out-of-state tuition would be $24K.

It is a 3 semester internship, and yes you do pay tuition for all 3 semesters.

So in a way, we pay less for the last 3 semesters because we get a stipend? Do we also get stipends for the clinical internships before that final year (i saw that there's an internship in almost every semester leading up to the last year)?

p.s- Thanks for PM-ing me. Just wondering if you received the PM i sent back? Being new here, I just wanted to check as I might have somehow sent it wrong.

I understand that $36,000 a year isnt chump change, but you must keep in mind that Pitt's program is #2 in the country. USC's program, which continues to be ranked #1, last time I looked was upwards of $48,000 a year.

I can also answer questions related to Pitt's program, the campus, city, etc. if needed.

USC IS extremely expensive....even if they're #1. I would agree that Pitt's much less expensive for being #2.

How did you like Pitt's clinical education? I'm not sure how Pitt's clinical placements work, but did you get to rotate between different settings during that last year of clinicals? And after graduating, did you feel well-prepared when you started working as a PT?

So in a way, we pay less for the last 3 semesters because we get a stipend? Do we also get stipends for the clinical internships before that final year (i saw that there's an internship in almost every semester leading up to the last year)?

p.s- Thanks for PM-ing me. Just wondering if you received the PM i sent back? Being new here, I just wanted to check as I might have somehow sent it wrong.

Right, so you can either look at it as paying less for the last 3 semesters, or you can look at it as being given money for "living expenses" during those semesters. And no, you do not receive a stipend during the earlier clinicals, only the last year.

(And I did receive one PM from you and responded to you)

Im happy that the original poster loved Chatham's program but I think it would be unwise to compare Pitt and Chatham based off of the cost. Chatham, while I was in school in the area, was no where near the program Pitt's was/is. Just keep things in perspective when looking at the dollar signs.

I'm not comparing based on cost alone, and I happen to really like Chatham's program. I won't comment on Pitt because I have yet to visit. (And I just got my acceptance from them.)

And also, if you walk out with a DPT from both and both are accredited programs, then really it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of where you got your degree. I know plenty of people who got accepted to both Pitt and Chatham and chose Chatham over Pitt. So, making a choice to save money is always a good step. All programs are going to have good and bad attached with them, it's just finding the program that fits best with you. :)

And I'd really like to have the involvement with UPMC... It'll be a hard choice if I get accepted to both.

At Pitt there are 9 total semesters. The first one is in the summer, and is classroom based. Semesters 2-5 are either part time or full time clinicals. You do not have a clinical for semester 6 however you can take one if you wish (this is what I did). The last year of the program (semesters 7-9) is all clinical work. Its split up into two 6-month rotations. You have to interview for those, which is usually done in November/December of your 2nd year. Most people have one outpatient ortho clinical and some type of hospital/nursing home based clinical.

The clinicals I had were: home care, outpatient ortho, outpatient ortho, inpatient TBI unit, acute hospital care, and my last year was split b/t two different outpatient orthos. I believe that Pitt is trying to not have their students do a whole last year in one specific setting. During my interview for the year-long clinicals, I expressed that I wanted to work as an outpatient PT after I graduated, and that I did not want a hospital rotation during the year long (I got my wish). I would advise to take the split.

There were other rotations that I passed up, like pediatrics, because I didnt have an interest. If you work with the clinical placement professor, she will try and work with you. All of the clinicals I went to were top-notch. Pitt does a good job of knowing who is a good CI and will help the students.

Lastly, when I took my first job, I felt like I hit the ground running. There were some PT's in the area I live that went to other schools and graduated a little before I did and were behind me as far as clinical skills. In turn, more was expected of me and I was able to handle that compared to some other folks. If you put the time in while you're in school you definitely get the benefit once you're done.

Blklabguy-- Thanks for the info on the program! It gives me a little bit of an insight since I missed the Pitt open house (due to my interview at Chatham).

Oh, and someone mentioned about the "Preview Pitt PT" day for those applicants who get accepted... My letter said it would be Jan. 15th :)

Right, so you can either look at it as paying less for the last 3 semesters, or you can look at it as being given money for "living expenses" during those semesters. And no, you do not receive a stipend during the earlier clinicals, only the last year.

(And I did receive one PM from you and responded to you)

That's really nice, even if it doesn't cover the whole tuition. I've never heard of a program that pays students anything for the last year of internships.

Hmm...I never got that second PM from you. That's weird. I clicked on "list messages" on the sidebar and only your first message appeared in the inbox. And it tells me that I have no messages unread. Can you resend it if you don't mind? Thanks.

The last year of the program (semesters 7-9) is all clinical work. Its split up into two 6-month rotations. You have to interview for those, which is usually done in November/December of your 2nd year. Most people have one outpatient ortho clinical and some type of hospital/nursing home based clinical.

By interview, do you mean we might accepted/denied by the place we want to do our clinicals at? Or is it an interview with faculty to discuss where you want to get placed, etc.

I am just wondering if that final year of internship placement is a competitive process, or if it's one where most students do get placed where they want. And did you need a car to get to most of your clinicals?

Thanks for all the great info!

By interview, do you mean we might accepted/denied by the place we want to do our clinicals at? Or is it an interview with faculty to discuss where you want to get placed, etc.

I am just wondering if that final year of internship placement is a competitive process, or if it's one where most students do get placed where they want.

The interviews are not with faculty; they are with the director/therapists from the clinics. Aside from a few specialties, you are requesting a type of setting, not a particular site. But yes, you will be accepted/denied for spots based on your interview, resume, and anything else they choose to consider, just like a job. Though everyone will be placed somewhere. If you are interested in any of a few specialized clinics (peds, VA hospital, etc), you would indicate that, and you will be granted an interview at all, some, or none of those places. Most of these will occur at the university, but a few such as peds have you interview onsite just as you would for a job. In addition, every student has two interviews at the school, one with an outpatient team and one with an inpatient team from UPMC. These interviews are the basis for all other placements outside those few specialized clinics.

I don't think it's a particularly competitive process, but there are limited spots in some areas. For example, there were 7 in my class that chose peds as a their first choice, and only 5 spots are available. On the other hand, if you wanted to be in a nursing home, I don't think anyone would be fighting for that spot. To be honest, it will just depend upon which sites and CIs are accepting students and where the interest of your classmates is. In the end, it is likely you will get the type of setting you want though, for at least half the year. To be honest though, I don't really know how well matched things end up being because I haven't gone through it yet. I'm sure I'll be much more opinionated on the topic when I receive my placement in the upcoming weeks/months...

The interviews are not with faculty; they are with the director/therapists from the clinics. Aside from a few specialties, you are requesting a type of setting, not a particular site. But yes, you will be accepted/denied for spots based on your interview, resume, and anything else they choose to consider, just like a job. Though everyone will be placed somewhere. If you are interested in any of a few specialized clinics (peds, VA hospital, etc), you would indicate that, and you will be granted an interview at all, some, or none of those places. Most of these will occur at the university, but a few such as peds have you interview onsite just as you would for a job. In addition, every student has two interviews at the school, one with an outpatient team and one with an inpatient team from UPMC. These interviews are the basis for all other placements outside those few specialized clinics.

I don't think it's a particularly competitive process, but there are limited spots in some areas. For example, there were 7 in my class that chose peds as a their first choice, and only 5 spots are available. On the other hand, if you wanted to be in a nursing home, I don't think anyone would be fighting for that spot. To be honest, it will just depend upon which sites and CIs are accepting students and where the interest of your classmates is. In the end, it is likely you will get the type of setting you want though, for at least half the year. To be honest though, I don't really know how well matched things end up being because I haven't gone through it yet. I'm sure I'll be much more opinionated on the topic when I receive my placement in the upcoming weeks/months...

I pretty much agree.

And yes, there are some sites that you will need a car to get to. Unfortunately, with Pitt's program getting larger and Pitt accepting more students, they need to find clinical sites for everyone and sometimes those can be a distance away.

markelmarcel,
From an insider I am told that Pitt is rather cliquish with students being very competitive towards each other and snobbish. Also many professors are intimidating and seem to be unapproachable. Forget about ranking, that is the opinion of a small sampling of PT school deans. Go where you you will feel most comfortable. Don't expect to hear the truth at an open house as no student is going to badmouth their own program. Blklabguy had a positive experience but he may have been there a while ago. The current classes are between 50-60 students which by its very size will tend to be impersonal.

callmecrazy & Blklabguy: Thanks for sharing these info! This really helps a lot...especially since i'm on the west coast and can't make any easy trips to Pitt to learn more about the program.

Hope you get the placements you want, callmecrazy.

markelmarcel,
From an insider I am told that Pitt is rather cliquish with students being very competitive towards each other and snobbish. Also many professors are intimidating and seem to be unapproachable. Forget about ranking, that is the opinion of a small sampling of PT school deans. Go where you you will feel most comfortable. Don't expect to hear the truth at an open house as no student is going to badmouth their own program. Blklabguy had a positive experience but he may have been there a while ago. The current classes are between 50-60 students which by its very size will tend to be impersonal.

PT Dad - I have heard a lot of the same and this does concern me, only because I can sometimes be a sensitive person and would rather be a part of a "family-like" community than one where we are all pitted against each other to be #1. I was surprised when I visited Chatham how many of them had also gotten accepted to Pitt and chose Chatham over Pitt because of the program (smaller class, problem-based learning, no competition [they were told the first day to drop the competition at the door and to learn to help one another] and other things).

When I visited Chatham I definitely got a "family" feeling from the few students that were there and the professors. Then, when I went for my interview the 1st and 2nd year students repeatedly said about how helpful all the professors are, that everyone really wants you to succeed, etc. I also heard a lot of negative things about Pitt from people who also got accepted there/did their undergrad there/know friends that are in the program. Obviously, I have to weigh this within some reason as they are there to promote Chatham so of course they will say that their program is better, but I did get the feeling that some of them were being truly genuine with their opinions as if they were helping us if we had to make a decision.
However, at this point with Pitt being my only acceptance it's nice to know I'm going somewhere! It may be Pitt or it may not! It definitely was a confidence booster for me to know that even though I came from an unrelated background I was still considered to be a good candidate for a program that is ranked so highly. My hard work has paid off! Now, it's just a matter of a couple more weeks to see what Chatham thinks and then the decision-making begins!

However, we're all going to walk away with DPT's -- it's just a matter of choosing which program will prepare you best and which one you will fit the best with -- you will succeed the most at the school you feel the most comfortable at, and I'm a firm believer in that. :)

Thanks for your insight!!!

PT Dad - I have heard a lot of the same and this does concern me, only because I can sometimes be a sensitive person and would rather be a part of a "family-like" community than one where we are all pitted against each other to be #1. I was surprised when I visited Chatham how many of them had also gotten accepted to Pitt and chose Chatham over Pitt because of the program (smaller class, problem-based learning, no competition [they were told the first day to drop the competition at the door and to learn to help one another] and other things).

When I visited Chatham I definitely got a "family" feeling from the few students that were there and the professors. Then, when I went for my interview the 1st and 2nd year students repeatedly said about how helpful all the professors are, that everyone really wants you to succeed, etc. I also heard a lot of negative things about Pitt from people who also got accepted there/did their undergrad there/know friends that are in the program. Obviously, I have to weigh this within some reason as they are there to promote Chatham so of course they will say that their program is better, but I did get the feeling that some of them were being truly genuine with their opinions as if they were helping us if we had to make a decision.
However, at this point with Pitt being my only acceptance it's nice to know I'm going somewhere! It may be Pitt or it may not! It definitely was a confidence booster for me to know that even though I came from an unrelated background I was still considered to be a good candidate for a program that is ranked so highly. My hard work has paid off! Now, it's just a matter of a couple more weeks to see what Chatham thinks and then the decision-making begins!

However, we're all going to walk away with DPT's -- it's just a matter of choosing which program will prepare you best and which one you will fit the best with -- you will succeed the most at the school you feel the most comfortable at, and I'm a firm believer in that. :)

Thanks for your insight!!!

I don't get the anti-Pitt thing. Although this was some time ago, I had numerous PT school classmates who attended Pitt for undergrad and had nothing but good things to say about their experience there. In fact, many moved back to the area to practice. Obviously this reflects only their feeling for the area itself and their undergrad experience, but I have worked with a few Pitt PTschool grads and none have indacated any disdain for the program.

In regards to class size, Arcadia had 70 students per class when I went there, and I thought it was the perfect size. I knew everybody in the program and got along well enough with all of htem to be able to work with any of them throughout our various projects. Socially, we would do a few things as a class, such as a standing happy hour on Wednesdays at a local pub, and many of my classmates made it fairly regularly. However, if someone didn't make it, it was always assumed they had something else going on, either academically or personally, and no one felt slighted of upset if someone didn't show up. Additionally, the larger class size could give you some breathing room. If you didn't get on well with someone, your contact with them could be as much or as little as you would like.

In regards to Pitt's ability to put out a quality "product" in regards to physical therapy school graduates, I can only speak about the graduates I have worked with (which are few in number). All have been at lesat adequate, and some exceptional. In regards to the research that goes on there, it is some of the best and has as much influenc on current clinical practice as any program in the country. The chair of the department is an NIH-funded researcher who has produced excellent studies on the treatment of low back pain:
http://www.shrs.pitt.edu/delitto/

Additionally, he has overseen several of our fields best and brightest young researchers and faculty in Pitt's PhD program in Rehabilitation Science. Some examples are as follows:

John Childs (Baylor University): http://www.linkedin.com/in/childsjd
Rob Wainnner (Texas State)
Julie Fritz (Universty of Utah)

So, in summary, if you want to be exposed to some of the most clinically relevant research in our field, recieve instruction from the scientists and educators that actually did the research, and participate in probably the most unique clinical internship experience in the country, go to Pitt. If none of these things are improtant to you, you'd rather be comfortable than be challenged, or you'd rather be in a "family" than be pushed to be part of a profession, go somewhere else.

So, in summary, if you want to be exposed to some of the most clinically relevant research in our field, recieve instruction from the scientists and educators that actually did the research, and participate in probably the most unique clinical internship experience in the country, go to Pitt. If none of these things are improtant to you, you'd rather be comfortable than be challenged, or you'd rather be in a "family" than be pushed to be part of a profession, go somewhere else.

Jesspt, I appreciate your response, but do not appreciate that your comment implies that just because I want to be part of a positive atmosphere means I do not want to push myself or become part of a profession.

Clearly, since I left my original degree of education to pursue this, I am committed to it and have pushed myself to get this far. I obviously made a good impression on being more than capable of succeeding if Pitt accepted me.

Last edited:
Jesspt, I appreciate your response, but do not appreciate that your comment implies that just because I want to be part of a positive atmosphere means I do not want to push myself or become part of a profession.

Clearly, since I left my original degree of education to pursue this, I am committed to it and have pushed myself to get this far. I obviously made a good impression on being more than capable of succeeding if Pitt accepted me.

Touche.

My comments, although they used some of your previous posts as a springboard, were not directed solely at you. Rather, you can do a quick search and find my stance on how a student should go about choosing a program, and it comes down to two factors: 1) Cost, and 2)NTPE pass rates. Once you're past those two initial considerations, I think it ought to come down to the strength of the faculty and the research they participate in. I think that generally students care a bit about the first two (although not enough to totally rule out useless US News rankings, typically) and don't give a damn about faculty and their research interests or how these things can enrich their academic experience and prepare them for amazing clinical internships.

I see this in current PT students for whom I have served as a Clinical Instructor as well, who are more concerned in how much they "like" their school experience rather than how much they are getting out of it.

So congrats on your acceptance to a great PT school. You have the opportunity to talk with Physical Therapy Thought Leaders on a daily basis if you but accept it. To downplay this fact because a few anonymous people on a message board heard that a program is "cliquey" seems foolhardy in my opinion. But, obviously, the choice is yours and must be one you are comfortable with.

Once you're past those two initial considerations, I think it ought to come down to the strength of the faculty and the research they participate in. I think that generally students care a bit about the first two (although not enough to totally rule out useless US News rankings, typically) and don't give a damn about faculty and their research interests or how these things can enrich their academic experience and prepare them for amazing clinical internships.

I think it's really unfortunate more people don't care about research. One of the first questions I asked Chatham was if there were any research opportunities for students. I'm currently helping my undergrad anatomy professor with his research (although his PhD is in palentology and anatomy so it's animal anatomy research) and I want to become more involved. Pitt would definitely have WAY more opportunities, although Chatham said they do offer a "few" for some students.

So, research is really important to me!

In general response to the preceding string of posts.

At Pitt, I have never once felt that we as students were pitted against one another. I'll admit there was a smidge of competitiveness in the first couple weeks as we got acquainted, but I can honestly say I haven't seen an ounce of it since then. Unless you choose to make it a competition for yourself, it's not. There is also a lot of peer support when it comes to studying and projects, and I think we're a generally pretty friendly bunch, not snobbish at all. This is grad school and we are adults, to be even be concerned with cliques seems childish. Of course everyone has friends in the program that they have become close with, but isn't that how life works?

As for students choosing Chatham over Pitt, it goes both ways. With their close proximity, there are a lot of people that apply and are accepted to both. As someone that applied to ONLY those two schools, I definitely see the pros and cons on both sides. It's a personal choice though, and while Pitt has the prestige, Chatham may still be the "right" choice for some as well... and it IS two semesters shorter, hah.

That being said, if you have an interest in research and/or making connections within the physical therapy world, I think you would be hard pressed to make an argument for Chatham over Pitt. It is only one aspect of making a decision, but it's worth considering how much that matters to you.

In general response to the preceding string of posts.

At Pitt, I have never once felt that we as students were pitted against one another. I'll admit there was a smidge of competitiveness in the first couple weeks as we got acquainted, but I can honestly say I haven't seen an ounce of it since then. Unless you choose to make it a competition for yourself, it's not. There is also a lot of peer support when it comes to studying and projects, and I think we're a generally pretty friendly bunch, not snobbish at all. This is grad school and we are adults, to be even be concerned with cliques seems childish. Of course everyone has friends in the program that they have become close with, but isn't that how life works?

As for students choosing Chatham over Pitt, it goes both ways. With their close proximity, there are a lot of people that apply and are accepted to both. As someone that applied to ONLY those two schools, I definitely see the pros and cons on both sides. It's a personal choice though, and while Pitt has the prestige, Chatham may still be the "right" choice for some as well... and it IS two semesters shorter, hah.

That being said, if you have an interest in research and/or making connections within the physical therapy world, I think you would be hard pressed to make an argument for Chatham over Pitt. It is only one aspect of making a decision, but it's worth considering how much that matters to you.

Thank you! It is so nice to finally start hearing some nice comments about Pitt in this thread. Since all I've been hearing is negative and it's been disheartening...

Yeah, there are really great things about both programs, but hey... right now Pitt is my only acceptance, so woohoo! I'm definitely NOT complaining with that! If I also get the acceptance at Chatham, it'll definitely take some thought considering the pros/cons of each program. First, I was leaning towards Pitt, then after I visited Chatham I was leaning towards them, but then getting the acceptance from Pitt makes me teeter back. But, no use worrying about it until I hear back from Chatham, although it would be sort of funny if I didn't get accepted at Chatham when I did at Pitt.

Thanks again! And, if you don't mind I have a question I've been wondering about... Does UPMC end up offering any DPT students jobs upon graduation/passing of the boards?

Last edited: