My journey update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phonedoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to start this thread to update about my journey towards medicine. Just so that everyone knows, I am 36 years old and plan to get into medicine after 4 to 5 years.

I just want to stay connected through out this journey and will keep posting here with what I am doing currently. I do know that I have a long way to go.

Enrolled at CC and currently taking BIO-I and Chem-I. Based on my previous two masters engineering degrees, I expected these two courses to be a walk in the park.

Got done with the first BIO test and it was a real wow moment. I think I did good, but the test was brutal. I really had to use every ounce of my brain cell to get it completed.

I work 50 hrs a week. So every night I end up reading until late hours to compensate on time. The good thing about starting this journey this late in life, is you know what you are heading towards, so everyday when I read BIO or Chem, I read it with total passion. I am enjoying this phase. I was so amazed to read and understand about DNA structure...the whole phosphate group, pentose sugar and nitrogen base. Man I have to tell you, it is really fun.

But again the BIO test was brutal. I have Chem-I test on Saturday.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on deciding to pursue medicine, and continuing your education. Have you considered starting a blog to post your progress? I'm not really sure that a forum like this is the right place for continuous progress updates. I'm in the same position, and have a long road ahead as well, and I don't want to rain on your parade, but a blog may be a more concise format.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to start this thread to update about my journey towards medicine. Just so that everyone knows, I am 36 years old and plan to get into medicine after 4 to 5 years.

I just want to stay connected through out this journey and will keep posting here with what I am doing currently. I do know that I have a long way to go.

Enrolled at CC and currently taking BIO-I and Chem-I. Based on my previous two masters engineering degrees, I expected these two courses to be a walk in the park.

Got done with the first BIO test and it was a real wow moment. I think I did good, but the test was brutal. I really had to use every ounce of my brain cell to get it completed.

I work 50 hrs a week. So every night I end up reading until late hours to compensate on time. The good thing about starting this journey this late in life, is you know what you are heading towards, so everyday when I read BIO or Chem, I read it with total passion. I am enjoying this phase. I was so amazed to read and understand about DNA structure...the whole phosphate group, pentose sugar and nitrogen base. Man I have to tell you, it is really fun.

But again the BIO test was brutal. I have Chem-I test on Saturday.

Will they count the community college classes towards your pre-med prereq's? I guess just make sure, or maybe you already have. Anyways, best of luck! That's awesome that you're digging in and going for it! Biology is fun, but general chem. SUCKKKKKKKKS lol. It's so boring and unrelatable. OChem is much better IMHO. ;)

Will they count the community college classes towards your pre-med prereq's? I guess just make sure, or maybe you already have. Anyways, best of luck! That's awesome that you're digging in and going for it! Biology is fun, but general chem. SUCKKKKKKKKS lol. It's so boring and unrelatable. OChem is much better IMHO. ;)

I have to take my chances on CC. I cannot afford timewise and expenses wise to go to University.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=738750

Actually the link above, was my first thread, and I gather that it might not hurt too bad in Texas.

Thanks for the encouragement. I need all the support from all of you out there.

Ok...the professor informed us yesterday that the class average was 55 for BIO test which includes all the 4 classes he teaches, total class strength of 120 students. He mentioned that there was one person who got a 100.

Later after the class he informed me that I was that one person who got a full 100. I felt good, since this was my first test after so many years. Also I felt totally re-invigorated. I am going to study hard for Chem-I test on Saturday. I also got a lab test on Monday for Bio.

My load at my work has increased 10 folds. Being in network engineering field, I am on 24 hrs oncall support. I am always concerned during my class hours that I will be paged out on some issues. I don't want to miss out a single word of the lecture.

I haven't informed any of my friends or people at work about this latest journey I have got into. Just my wife knows about it.

I do appreciate all the power of support that I gather here from this forum.

My load at my work has increased 10 folds. Being in network engineering field, I am on 24 hrs oncall support. I am always concerned during my class hours that I will be paged out on some issues. I don't want to miss out a single word of the lecture.

It's amazing how many of we non-trads are people escaping the outsourcing of the IT field.

I've gotten paged out of class a few times, I've also taken care of problems during the lecture. Don't do it too often, it annoys the professor. But they are usually understanding, especially when you are their best student.

Best of luck phonedoctor, :luck:

I decided to pursue medicine late in the game also. I went to CC and completed pre-reqs from 1999-2003, had to put things on the back burner for awhile due to being a caregiver for a sick family member, took MCAT last year, two app cycles. It has been a long journey but I am finally starting med school in ten months. I will be 39 on the first day of classes but just a few weeks later will be turning 40!

Best of luck phonedoctor, :luck:

I decided to pursue medicine late in the game also. I went to CC and completed pre-reqs from 1999-2003, had to put things on the back burner for awhile due to being a caregiver for a sick family member, took MCAT last year, two app cycles. It has been a long journey but I am finally starting med school in ten months. I will be 39 on the first day of classes but just a few weeks later will be turning 40!

First and foremost congrats on walking all the way up there and not giving up.
Thats pretty good. Awesome. You are my inspiration.

Couldn't study too hard for chem-I and BIO lab test, since there was a family medical issue that came up. I don't want to discuss the medical issue here, but I went through sleepless nights, but things look good, we are not out of the woods yet, but hopefully everything will work out fine.

As far as chem test goes, I think it was an easy one. Bio lab, I must have messed up on couple of slides, totally missed the cheek cell question.

Will keep ya updated on the scores.

Last edited:
The medical issue has been resolved. We just heard from the doctor that everything seems normal.
I made a full 100 on the chem test too. So as far as courses go, I think I will be able to handle them fine.

I just found out today morning that my wife did not get accepted for her dental program. My journey has several variables that can throw my goal out of the window. It is imperative that my wife completes her dental program and start working before I can make any changes with my work. We will have to figure out what needs to be done in that area.

There are other variables that can quickly make things harder. I will keep ya posted as thing progress.

I am studying for the 2nd Bio test and chem test is set for next weekend.

End of first semester. I made two straight A's. I plan to take just Comp-I online for next semester. I have other work related stuff lined up and will not be able to take any more classes for next semester.

I do however plan to go full speed ahead from fall semster 2011.

I think as far as course work is concerned, I should do fine. Also I enjoy studying at this age, since for some reason, I feel more focused as I read and really love doing it.

That doesn't mean, this is going to be an easy journey. There are several hurdles and some of them at this time seem totally insurmountable.