My Kaplan MCAT class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Penguin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am now taking the Kaplan MCAT class, and I just want to see how other people find their Kaplan classes. I had the choice of taking a morning or evening class. I signed up for an evening class, and I feel like people in my class aren't all that serious about studying the MCAT except one or two people in my class. I attended the morning session once to attend a course ahead of time and found the classmates and the morning session instructor to be more prepared and serious, not to mention how friendly they were to one another. Maybe I should have signed up for the morning session, instead of the evening one. My evening Kaplan instructor doesn't seem so dedicated, complaining how responsible she is to prepare for her lessons and how lazy we (students) are for attending lectures unprepared, saying how tired everyone is and she wants to move on to end the class early so that we can go home early (or perhaps she can go home early and still gets paid), etc.

Anyways, I am on the top of the syllabus, reviewing the content books cover to cover and doing everything the syllabus says. What or how other people in my Kaplan class do, I am doing my own thing, but seeing people who come to the class so unprepared and seeing the instructor who is so tired of teaching is not so motivating. I started this Kaplan course thinking that no matter how good the course might be, everything would be up to me. I am glad that I went in with this kind of mindset. Otherwise, having such a lousy instructor would have been a big disappointment.

Regardless, I am happy with the Kaplan materials so far. They are tough and really time-consuming to study them all, but I strongly believe that all my hard work will pay off when I get my real MCAT score.

How's your Kaplan class?
CP

Members don't see this ad.

Cold Penguin said:
I am now taking the Kaplan MCAT class, and I just want to see how other people find their Kaplan classes. I had the choice of taking a morning or evening class. I signed up for an evening class, and I feel like people in my class aren't all that serious about studying the MCAT except one or two people in my class. I attended the morning session once to attend a course ahead of time and found the classmates and the morning session instructor to be more prepared and serious, not to mention how friendly they were to one another. Maybe I should have signed up for the morning session, instead of the evening one. My evening Kaplan instructor doesn't seem so dedicated, complaining how responsible she is to prepare for her lessons and how lazy we (students) are for attending lectures unprepared, saying how tired everyone is and she wants to move on to end the class early so that we can go home early (or perhaps she can go home early and still gets paid), etc.

Anyways, I am on the top of the syllabus, reviewing the content books cover to cover and doing everything the syllabus says. What or how other people in my Kaplan class do, I am doing my own thing, but seeing people who come to the class so unprepared and seeing the instructor who is so tired of teaching is not so motivating. I started this Kaplan course thinking that no matter how good the course may be, everything is up to me. I am glad that I went in with this kind of mindset. Otherwise, having such a lousy instructor would have been a big disappointment.

Regardless, I am happy with the Kaplan materials so far. They are tough and really time-consuming to study them all, but I strongly believe that all my hard work will pay off when I get my real MCAT score.

How's your Kaplan class?
CP

Well, Cold Penguin, I dropped out of mine.

Basically, I kind of found it a waste of the three hours I could be spending studying. I guess the classroom atmosphere type of learning is not for me. Once I found that I was getting the practice questions right during the lessons and mind-reading evey word that was spoken by the instructor I decided that my time was better spent reviewing on my own. Our class was not very cohesive at all. Evryone came in and left and did their own thing, but our class is also mainly non-trads.

The materials and the center are very useful though! :thumbup:
I'm taking my first full length this weekend (cept for the diagnostic). I'm excited.

MedChic said:
Well, Cold Penguin, I dropped out of mine.

Basically, I kind of found it a waste of the three hours I could be spending studying. I guess the classroom atmosphere type of learning is not for me. Once I found that I was getting the practice questions right during the lessons and mind-reading evey word that was spoken by the instructor I decided that my time was better spent reviewing on my own. Our class was not very cohesive at all. Evryone came in and left and did their own thing, but our class is also mainly non-trads.

The materials and the center are very useful though! :thumbup:
I'm taking my first full length this weekend (cept for the diagnostic). I'm excited.

i also felt a difference last year in my TPR course between night and morning classes...(i transferred to morning after the first week). the night kids were usually pretty tired after a long day's work.. the morning kids would all leave after class for a full day at the library. it was a totally different ball game.