My List of Schools-critique it! (3.7gpa, 30mcat)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preserves

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted some help from the SDN community to critique my list of schools that I want to apply to this cycle.

Some background:
-3.7gpa, 3.56science gpa
>However, did get a C in an Organic Chemistry Class =(
>BUT strong upward trend in grades (3.96 average gpa for my junior and senior year)
- 30P (10/10/10) on my MCATs
-Relatively few hospital hours (75 hours, but still ongoing) with ER volunteer and doctor shadowing.
-Did research for 2 years, and will continue to do research in my gap year.
-Undergraduate tutor for 2 quarters
-Should be strong letter of recommendations
-Active leadership at school clubs and my church
-Late application (still "waiting for review") because it took my a while to get my personal statement done.
-California resident =(
-CANT apply to DO schools, dont have a letter of rec from a DO

and here is my list of schools I am planning to apply to:
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Buffalo
Drexel University
George Washington University
Holfstra
Jefferson Medical College
Louisville
Loyola University Chicago
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Norfolk Eastern Virginia
Rochester
Rosalind Franklin University
Rush
Stony Brook
Syracuse Upstate
Temple
Toledo
Tufts
Tulane
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
Virginia Commonwealth University
Wake Forest
Wright State

I know its a lot of schools (26), but I feel my application is nothing to brag about, and the general consensus is to apply broadly (cost is not an issue also). I want to focus on urban schools, as I would love to experience the city life (hence the many NY schools), but regardless, I really want to get into medical school this year. I just wanted some feedback on if there were any schools I missed and should add, or if I should some take away.

Thanks in advance for this wonderful community, I definitely could not have made it this far without you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I pretty much agree with everything you have said--good gpa, good MCAT, good ECs--but nothing to right home about. I like your list. I think the only one I would remove would be Stony brook because they strongly favor in-state (only 4% of its incoming class is from out-of-state) https://www.amherst.edu/campuslife/careers/students/gradstudy/health/guide/part2/appendix . Also Rochester and Tufts will be difficult for you to get into but your list is very conservative and bottom-heavy, so you might as well leave those on there. Good luck, think you have a good shot at some interviews.