WAMC/School List Critique

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedpremed000

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove Georgetown, SLU, Loyola and Rush since they expect many more clinical exposure hours than you have. UNC admits few non residents. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

Remove Georgetown, SLU, Loyola and Rush since they expect many more clinical exposure hours than you have. UNC admits few non residents. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.
Got it, thanks! I have UNC on my list since I have family in the state and my SO is from there. Do you think those are enough close ties to keep it or should I also remove it? Also, do you think this is a good spread of types of schools? I don't want my list to be too top heavy.

Members don't see this ad :)
The community service hours are good, but I urge you to take on an off-campus activity during your gap year. Will you be living in NC during the gap year?

What are your strong ties to NY?

Pardon the pitch: HPSA/SDN has the Becoming a Student Doctor course that helps with your application prep, and if you have an FAP, enrollment is free with documentation. Contact us if you are interested as we are beginning the 10-ish week course in January.

The community service hours are good, but I urge you to take on an off-campus activity during your gap year. Will you be living in NC during the gap year?

What are your strong ties to NY?
I plan on doing a clinical research position for my gap year. I go to school in NY and plan on moving to NYC for my gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
I plan on doing a clinical research position for my gap year. I go to school in NY and plan on moving to NYC for my gap year.
Great! Well, you will have a lot of options for additional non-clinical community service once you move. So to that end, I don't think you'd get consideration as a NC applicant with "strong ties"* but you can ask the admissions team at UNC. ECU would be out because they would only take in-state residents interested mostly in the rural eastern NC area. I would replace UNC with Wake Forest since WF is private and in-state (not knowing if you have a significant reason to be in the Triangle). That said, I defer to @Faha if he agrees/disagrees with that advice (WF for UNC) if you want to stay in NC.

* I'm working on an SDN article on this topic.

Great! Well, you will have a lot of options for additional non-clinical community service once you move. So to that end, I don't think you'd get consideration as a NC applicant with "strong ties"* but you can ask the admissions team at UNC. ECU would be out because they would only take in-state residents interested mostly in the rural eastern NC area. I would replace UNC with Wake Forest since WF is private and in-state (not knowing if you have a significant reason to be in the Triangle). That said, I defer to @Faha if he agrees/disagrees with that advice (WF for UNC) if you want to stay in NC.

* I'm working on an SDN article on this topic.
Got it! I think I would just remove UNC and not apply to WF since I like the Chapel Hill area more than Winston Salem if my connections aren't considered strong ties, but I will definitely ask. Thank you!

Got it, thanks! I have UNC on my list since I have family in the state and my SO is from there. Do you think those are enough close ties to keep it or should I also remove it? Also, do you think this is a good spread of types of schools? I don't want my list to be too top heavy.
That would not be a significant connection for the purpose of medical school admissions. If you were a former resident of North Carolina or attended undergraduate school at UNC that would be a significant connection.

Reactions: 1 user