My list of schools, what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Climberak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My profile:

G.P.A. 3.72 (upward trend)
Science G.P.A. 3.73
MCAT: I take it May 31, but I've been scoring in low 30's on practice exams.
Clinical experience: VA emergency room volunteer for one year. Shadowed a ER physician at another hospital several times. Shadowed several family physicians at a residency program. (And yes, I've had direct patient contact).
Communitry Service/Volunteer: Special Olympics alpine ski coach, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Supervisor at a mentally handicapped care facility, played percussion in a symphony.
Research: 6 months of evolutionary/molecular biology research. I plan to do a senior thesis and may wind up being a primary author of a paper.

My List of schools:

University of Nevada School of Medicine (UNSOM) -I'm a resident.
UCSF -the dream school
Tulane
Emory
University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio
GWU
Vanderbuilt

I think that's a good list of schools to apply to, what do you think? I don't want to apply to a lot of schools so I'm trying to go for quality over quantity.

Members don't see this ad.

Without your MCAT score, this discussion is moot, but you need to apply to more and a broader range of schools. The one you have there are especially selective. You maximize your chances by applying to schools with a varying range of matriculant profiles.

Unless you have your heart set on GWU, I would drop it. That place gets sooo many (14,000+) apps for their school, you probably have better chances at JHU.

I would also add some schools to bring your total to 10-14.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF -the dream school
Tulane
Emory
GWU
Vanderbuilt

In addition to actually taking the MCAT, I also advise spelling your schools correctly. Maybe Emery and Toolane don't mind, but I bet Vandy does.

It really depends on your MCAT score. Shoot for a 33+ and you will be competitive at most (if not all) schools.

Resident of Nevada = not applying to Texas schools. We have our own application system.

I suggest you do some more research into school choices. A lot of them have quirks like this.

I would definitely suggest adding around 10 more schools to your list. Many of the schools you have listed are really hard to get into, so you'll be much safer with a broader range of schools.

Apply early and more broadly so that you have about 15-20 schools.

Plus, apply to schools that have a comparable LizzyM score and don't have residency requirements which could make it impossible for your application to get even a look by the adcoms.

OK thanks for the input so far, here's what I think after reading your replies.

TheRealMD: Yes, Texas schools give preference to residents. However, when I look at the non-resident acceptance rate in the MSAR, it isn't much different compared to some private schools. As long as I'm competitive, I don't think it's much of an issue.

pride4jc727, MirDoHap, shiftingmirage: I will apply to more schools now, thanks.

The "you must take the MCAT" people: No duh, I'm asking for advice given what I have right now.

ca863335: ...And how is putting "Vandy" on an application any better then misspelling the name?

wizenedone: Thank you, I've been working really hard and hopefully it'll all pay off.

My profile:

G.P.A. 3.72 (upward trend)
Science G.P.A. 3.73
MCAT: I take it May 31, but I've been scoring in low 30's on practice exams.
Clinical experience: VA emergency room volunteer for one year. Shadowed a ER physician at another hospital several times. Shadowed several family physicians at a residency program. (And yes, I've had direct patient contact).
Communitry Service/Volunteer: Special Olympics alpine ski coach, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Supervisor at a mentally handicapped care facility, played percussion in a symphony.
Research: 6 months of evolutionary/molecular biology research. I plan to do a senior thesis and may wind up being a primary author of a paper.

My List of schools:

UCSF -the dream school
Tulane
Emory
GWU
Vanderbuilt

I think that's a good list of schools to apply to, what do you think? I don't want to apply to a lot of schools so I'm trying to go for quality over quantity.
Unless you score 33+ i would add more schools.