My List of Schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Geoff

Mzungu
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNer's,
Just made my list of schools:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10201

I have it down to 25. But will probably narrow that down to between 15-20. I tried to apply broadly, let me know what you think and If I should add/remove anything. Thanks!

jeff

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list of schools, but I definitely wouldn't trim down that list. You have good stats, but they aren't stellar by any means. Applying can sometimes be a crapshoot. It is better to overapply than underapply. You can always turn down interviews if you get 10+ or something. Cost/benefit wise, it is much smarter to spend extra money applying than having to re-apply.

just wondering..

out of all the CA schools, how come you only chose to apply to Loma Linda?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure about Wake and Illinois if you're OOS?

If you REALLY wanna trim down schools, GW and BU get a lot of apps, so odds are not in anyone's favor. But I think you should probably keep them.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. In answer to your question about the CA school, I chose Loma Linda cuz' its favorable to OOS and it also has stats that aren't to high...

Here were some comments left on my MDAPPS page that I have some questions about...

1.) "You should also look for schools that really value Peace Corp volunteers. I have heard Einstein and Sinai and Stanford are big on that... there are other ones also."

Anyone know any others????

2.) more lower tier schools. i applied with a 3.4/36 and got rejected everywhere 2 years ago. peace corp is huge. good luck.
I thought I had a lot of low tier schools (stats wise)... what others could I choose that would be favorable to OOS?

3.) Take off Case, AECOM, Gtown, Tufts and Rochester. Your subpar GPA/MCAT won't get you an interview at those places.

What could I replace them with? Are my stats that far out of reach that I wouldn't be considered?

I say add EVMS and MCW, but hopefully your state schools will show you some love. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. In answer to your question about the CA school, I chose Loma Linda cuz' its favorable to OOS and it also has stats that aren't to high...

Loma Linda has slightly lower stats because they heavily favor Seventh Day Adventists (and other Christians). It would help to have high stats if you're not Christian.

Consider adding St. Louis U.

While we are on a similar subject, can someone check out my profile and let me know if my schools are out of reach for me? Should I add more schools to my list....what tier? etc....

I just made the profile a few minutes ago so if you think it's not descriptive enough, let me know and I can clarify....

Are you sure about Wake and Illinois if you're OOS?

If you REALLY wanna trim down schools, GW and BU get a lot of apps, so odds are not in anyone's favor. But I think you should probably keep them.

I thought Wake was a private school?

Also, I would keep GW.. They are very into international health and volunteerism and as such I would think they would value Peace Corps volunteers. They take lower stats, but they take a certain "type" of person and you might fall into that category judging by your EC's.

I thought Wake was a private school?

Also, I would keep GW.. They are very into international health and volunteerism and as such I would think they would value Peace Corps volunteers. They take lower stats, but they take a certain "type" of person and you might fall into that category judging by your EC's.

My bad about Wake, they are private. And I think they screen for secondaries, saving you some $.

While we are on a similar subject, can someone check out my profile and let me know if my schools are out of reach for me? Should I add more schools to my list....what tier? etc....

I just made the profile a few minutes ago so if you think it's not descriptive enough, let me know and I can clarify....

You need to add some lower tier (or at least mid tier) schools. All of your schools, aside from Loyola, are very competitive. Unless you are absolutely, 100% sure that you would go to Loyola if it was the only school you got into, you need more schools. That 8 in VR might not kill you everywhere, but it will prob get you screened out at some schools.

Hey SDNer's,
Just made my list of schools:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10201

I have it down to 25. But will probably narrow that down to between 15-20. I tried to apply broadly, let me know what you think and If I should add/remove anything. Thanks!

jeff

Some good advice on this thread. Add EVMS. Was Penn State on the list? If not, another good one. What about the NJ schools?

Around 25 schools is about right for you, I think. No need to go crazy trimming this list, but go into it knowing that BU, GW, and Wake are real longshots for you - very unpredictable schools.

I agree I need a few more middle-tier. I have talked to both premed dean and other students with similar scores as me, and they don't think my mcat will "screen" me, so I don't think I need to drop any of my top-tier hopes. Any other opinions for me?