My med school is P/F for clerkships!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bc_tch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out today that they actually don't give out grades for clerkship at all..only some formal evaluations and then a letter from the preceptor. Will I totally be at a disadvantage if I'm trying to match to a real competitive residency?? OMG my school is pass/fail for all 4 years...:(

Members don't see this ad.

what school

We have true P/F (all 4 years) with no ranking or curves as far as the transcript is concerned..
YET, to be evaluated for residency we are given Hon/HP/P/F along with a paragraph about us for each rotation MS3,MS4 which is put into our Dean's letter.
you guys might have the same

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to school in Canada. I think they are doing strict P/F with no high pass/honors options at all, the last time I checked. ?

While having all P/F grades is nice in decreasing competition, it makes distinguishing students in the same institution more difficult. When you apply for residency you will look like most other students in your class. Most students will get good written evaluations. This is great if you go to a medical school with a strong reputation and strong graduates, since you are all seen as top-notch applicants. Not so great if your school isn't as strong.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can stand out from the crowd if my clerkship gradings are all strictly P/F?? or is there anything that I can still do. Will scheduling an off-site elective at another med school help? I'm actually hoping to get into a real competitive specialty like dermatology. I'm not usually a gunner type but i will be if i have to...