Sep 21, 2017
Hello,

I’ve been lurking the sdn forums for awhile now and gotten a lot of help so I would like to share my 2017 NAPLEX/MPJE experience!

I took the MPJE about a month after graduation. I studied less than 2 weeks for it, which was a big mistake, and failed with a score of 73... I was devastated :( but knew that if I studied more I could do it so I wasn’t too depressed. I studied what my school provided me and also state statutes and the big USP chapters (quizlets I found online). I studied them at least three times each. After the 30 day wait period, I took it again and passed!!

Next, the NAPLEX... I admit I was too cocky and barely studied... haha and failed with a score of 66. Honestly, I deserved that. I really didn’t study... I’ve been always good at math in school so I thought I could just do it and skimmed through the Rxprep calculations chapter once, and the night before my exam I glanced over some formulas. Big mistake... I was soooo lost during the exam with calculations and I probably got most of them wrong. Also, I did not study the cancer chapter AT ALL!!! Idk why... but I just sort of forgot about it, and I ended up guessing on all of cancer questions. And of course the big HIV chapter... I studied it once but didn’t retain anything :/ ended up guessing on most of them too during the exam. I walked out feeling crappy and knew 99% that I had failed... So during the 45 day wait period, I changed my study tactics. Before, I was just reading my rxprep book but after failing, I realized reading the chapters was not enough. So I took notes on the impt basic stuff to make it easier for myself to review later. This helped me A LOT. I also did the sdn 120 calculations in addition to the rxprep calculations, and after doing them about 3 times, math was a breeze.

I think taking notes to help me retain the info was the key to my passing both exams on my second attempt. I was really depressed after failing the NAPLEX but I managed to pass!!!

Also, it’s probably not true but I felt that the NAPLEX was a little adaptive... comparing my experiences, I feel that if I get a question wrong it comes up again later. Like last time I had tons of math, cancer, and HIV questions but my second time, I did not.

Thanks to the sdn forum members for posting their experiences!! And also the sdn calculations :) and good luck to everyone :)

zelman

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Hello,

I’ve been lurking the sdn forums for awhile now and gotten a lot of help so I would like to share my 2017 NAPLEX/MPJE experience!

I took the MPJE about a month after graduation. I studied less than 2 weeks for it, which was a big mistake, and failed with a score of 73... I was devastated :( but knew that if I studied more I could do it so I wasn’t too depressed. I studied what my school provided me and also state statutes and the big USP chapters (quizlets I found online). I studied them at least three times each. After the 30 day wait period, I took it again and passed!!

Next, the NAPLEX... I admit I was too cocky and barely studied... haha and failed with a score of 66. Honestly, I deserved that. I really didn’t study... I’ve been always good at math in school so I thought I could just do it and skimmed through the Rxprep calculations chapter once, and the night before my exam I glanced over some formulas. Big mistake... I was soooo lost during the exam with calculations and I probably got most of them wrong. Also, I did not study the cancer chapter AT ALL!!! Idk why... but I just sort of forgot about it, and I ended up guessing on all of cancer questions. And of course the big HIV chapter... I studied it once but didn’t retain anything :/ ended up guessing on most of them too during the exam. I walked out feeling crappy and knew 99% that I had failed... So during the 45 day wait period, I changed my study tactics. Before, I was just reading my rxprep book but after failing, I realized reading the chapters was not enough. So I took notes on the impt basic stuff to make it easier for myself to review later. This helped me A LOT. I also did the sdn 120 calculations in addition to the rxprep calculations, and after doing them about 3 times, math was a breeze.

I think taking notes to help me retain the info was the key to my passing both exams on my second attempt. I was really depressed after failing the NAPLEX but I managed to pass!!!

Also, it’s probably not true but I felt that the NAPLEX was a little adaptive... comparing my experiences, I feel that if I get a question wrong it comes up again later. Like last time I had tons of math, cancer, and HIV questions but my second time, I did not.

Thanks to the sdn forum members for posting their experiences!! And also the sdn calculations :) and good luck to everyone :)
So, did actually studying take your score from a 66 to a 76, or from a 66 to a 146? Just wondering what magnitude change preparation makes. Is it just enough to pass, or does it magically unlock all the pharmacy knowledge that was inside you the whole time?

OP
C
Sep 21, 2017
So, did actually studying take your score from a 66 to a 76, or from a 66 to a 146? Just wondering what magnitude change preparation makes. Is it just enough to pass, or does it magically unlock all the pharmacy knowledge that was inside you the whole time?
oh no lol it wasn't a dramatic change. I passed NAPLEX with an 80 and MPJE with 77. so just enough to pass haha

Reactions: Abby Atwood
About the Ads