My OAT experience/applications

reubzzz

Reaction score
I knew I would be at a disadvantage when it came to applications because of my lackluster GPA

(2.9 overall, 2.7 science GPA)

I took my test on September 29th, and throughout the whole process, I spent a good 2 months studying. Took one day off a week, and studied for about 10-12 hours a day with a 30 min break every 3-4 hours.

I really didn't have a thorough study plan, it was more or less just reading the Kaplan book, and taking the two practice tests after reading/annotating the entire kaplan study review.

I invested in the crack the oat app to do additional practice problems (I wouldn't invest in crack the OAT), but more or less relied heavily on chad videos to help with ochem/chem/physics. For biology/RC/QR, Just reread kaplan over and over until it cemented in my brain.

I was able to stumble upon additional practice tests and used those to actually "practice" an actual OAT experience. I'd go to coffee shops and "simulate" an actual test by timing myself with each section.

I'd go over the questions I got wrong and would just go over my kaplan notes on concepts I was weak at. I did about 5 practice tests overall and I think that was very beneficial for me, just constantly doing practice questions. (2 practice from kaplan + 2 princeton review + 1 ADA)

I won't go over the logistics of the testing environment, since it's pretty much the same for everyone but as for the actual test.....

Biology - I was surprised that there wasn't questions that related to human systems (endocrine, reproductive, etc...). It was mainly stuff relating to DNA/RNA, taxonomy, animal behavior, and organelles. It wasn't toooooo bad, but I did find myself doing process of elimination on more than what I would have hoped.

Chemistry - A lot of straightforward questions that related to pH, periodic trends, plug and chug equations (reaction rates, stoichiometry etc...)

Organic Chemistry - I crammed a lot of chad videos 2 days prior, and I'm so glad I did. A lot of Sn1/Sn2/E1/E2 reactions. Some resonance questions sprinkled in there as well... Mainly on structures and which one was the most acidic, stable, etc...

Reading comprehension - the passages were A LOT easier to comprehend compared to the practice tests I've taken. I knew this would be my lowest score because I found myself zoning out and having to reread sentences I just read. It didn't help too that by this time, I had a really huge headache, and really just wanted to get this section out of the way. But overall, actually simulating an actual OAT test was helpful, as i was able to build stamina by doig so.

Physics - I was scared for physics. I scored 260/270 for my kaplan practice tests and a 240 on one of the princeton review tests. I made sure to remember the kinematic equations and i'm so glad I did. Those equations saved my life!!! A majority of the questions consisted of plug and chug equations that had to do with kinematics. It could've been a lot worse to be honest.

QR - i really recommend going over the kaplan strategies to do well in this section. I found myself relying on that when i was stuck on a problem. But for the most part, it was a lot of simple arithmetic problems with a few geometry problems. Really know how to solve questions that are worded like:

"Car A leaves at this time.... car B leaves at this time...."

"X does this in ___ hours, and Y does this in ____ hours, together.."

You get the idea. :)

You take an optional survey, and your score is shown on the spot!!! (Talk about nerve wrecking!)

My scores:
Bio: 350
Chem: 380
Ochem: 370
QR: 360
Physics: 330
Reading: 330
TS: 360
AA: 350

Schools I applied to: UC Berkeley, SCCO, Salus, Midwestern (Arizona), and NECO

I didn't meet the minimum GPA for arizona .. but so far, I have an interview for NECO and Salus!! Really staying hopeful and positive despite the fact that my GPA is on the lower trend.

Really wishing everyone good luck with OATs, applications, and just anything optometry school related in general!!! Don't feel too discouraged about the OAT. I don't think anyone is really TOO ready, just really do your best!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I knew I would be at a disadvantage when it came to applications because of my lackluster GPA

I took my test on September 29th, and throughout the whole process, I spent a good 2 months studying. Took one day off a week, and studied for about 10-12 hours a day with a 30 min break every 3-4 hours.

I really didn't have a thorough study plan, it was more or less just reading the Kaplan book, and taking the two practice tests after reading/annotating the entire kaplan study review.

I invested in the crack the oat app to do additional practice problems (I wouldn't invest in crack the OAT), but more or less relied heavily on chad videos to help with ochem/chem/physics. For biology/RC/QR, Just reread kaplan over and over until it cemented in my brain.

I was able to stumble upon additional practice tests and used those to actually "practice" an actual OAT experience. I'd go to coffee shops and "simulate" an actual test by timing myself with each section.

I'd go over the questions I got wrong and would just go over my kaplan notes on concepts I was weak at. I did about 5 practice tests overall and I think that was very beneficial for me, just constantly doing practice questions. (2 practice from kaplan + 2 princeton review + 1 ADA)

I won't go over the logistics of the testing environment, since it's pretty much the same for everyone but as for the actual test.....

Biology - I was surprised that there wasn't questions that related to human systems (endocrine, reproductive, etc...). It was mainly stuff relating to DNA/RNA, taxonomy, animal behavior, and organelles. It wasn't toooooo bad, but I did find myself doing process of elimination on more than what I would have hoped.

Chemistry - A lot of straightforward questions that related to pH, periodic trends, plug and chug equations (reaction rates, stoichiometry etc...)

Organic Chemistry - I crammed a lot of chad videos 2 days prior, and I'm so glad I did. A lot of Sn1/Sn2/E1/E2 reactions. Some resonance questions sprinkled in there as well... Mainly on structures and which one was the most acidic, stable, etc...

Reading comprehension - the passages were A LOT easier to comprehend compared to the practice tests I've taken. I knew this would be my lowest score because I found myself zoning out and having to reread sentences I just read. It didn't help too that by this time, I had a really huge headache, and really just wanted to get this section out of the way. But overall, actually simulating an actual OAT test was helpful, as i was able to build stamina by doig so.

Physics - I was scared for physics. I scored 260/270 for my kaplan practice tests and a 240 on one of the princeton review tests. I made sure to remember the kinematic equations and i'm so glad I did. Those equations saved my life!!! A majority of the questions consisted of plug and chug equations that had to do with kinematics. It could've been a lot worse to be honest.

QR - i really recommend going over the kaplan strategies to do well in this section. I found myself relying on that when i was stuck on a problem. But for the most part, it was a lot of simple arithmetic problems with a few geometry problems. Really know how to solve questions that are worded like:

You take an optional survey, and your score is shown on the spot!!! (Talk about nerve wrecking!)

My scores:

I didn't meet the minimum GPA for arizona .. but so far, I have an interview for NECO and Salus!! Really staying hopeful and positive despite the fact that my GPA is on the lower trend.

Really wishing everyone good luck with OATs, applications, and just anything optometry school related in general!!! Don't feel too discouraged about the OAT. I don't think anyone is really TOO ready, just really do your best!

Wow congrats on your score! you should be really proud! for physics did you just do chads quizzes?

Congrats on your score!! And thank you for the breakdown! You give me hope that even with a low GPA, I can score high on the OAT if i give it all of my time and work hard!!

When you mentioned Crack the OAT, do you mean PrincetonReview crack the OAT book?

I invested in the crack the oat app to do additional practice problems (honestly was too helpful in my opinion), but more or less relied heavily on chad videos to help with ochem/chem/physics. For biology/RC/QR, Just reread kaplan over and over until it cemented in my brain.

"X paints a room in ___ hours, and Y paints a room in ____ hours, together... How long will it take to paint Z rooms"....

My scores:

Wow congrats on your score! you should be really proud! for physics did you just do chads quizzes?
Congrats on your score!! And thank you for the breakdown! You give me hope that even with a low GPA, I can score high on the OAT if i give it all of my time and work hard!!

When you mentioned Crack the OAT, do you mean PrincetonReview crack the OAT book?

For physics, i really just watched chad videos... i didnt do any of his quizzes

My apologies, i meant crack oat. It's an app you can download on your smart phone/tablet but you need to pay like $300 i think to have access when you register for an account, but there's a ton of practice questions for all of the subjects... but i honestly never really used it. It helps for additional problems, but i felt that the questions on the app werent reflecting the actual OAT

After watching the videos, id go over the questions i got wrong, and really try to understand the concept!!

Also watch professor dave on youtube!! He goes over concepts in a simplistic manner :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For physics, i really just watched chad videos... i didnt do any of his quizzes

My apologies, i meant crack oat. It's an app you can download on your smart phone/tablet but you need to pay like $300 i think to have access when you register for an account, but there's a ton of practice questions for all of the subjects... but i honestly never really used it. It helps for additional problems, but i felt that the questions on the app werent reflecting the actual OAT

After watching the videos, id go over the questions i got wrong, and really try to understand the concept!!

Also watch professor dave on youtube!! He goes over concepts in a simplistic manner :)

what were the practice tests you came across other than kaplan and the ada?

what were the practice tests you came across other than kaplan and the ada?

I think they were princeton review. I got them from a friend.

They were a lot easier than the kaplan practice tests, but again, i just really wanted to build my test taking stamina as much as i can.

Last edited by a moderator:

My scores:

My scores:

Is it a good idea to memorize all the Gen Gem equations or is it more conceptual? I figure knowing Stiochiometry equations is a safe bet.

Wow! Congratulations on that amazing OAT score. This gives me a lot of hope, so thank you for your post.

Considering I am in the same low gpa, aiming for high OAT, it can get really freaking discouraging! I would like to apply to Berkeley, but of course, I feel as though its a far shot. Did they have a minimum GPA requirement?