My path to acceptance into PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andyrides

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I could use some advice. Many thank in advance for your help!

Since graduating from a large state school with a Psych degree in Dec. 2009, I have spent the majority of the interim working and traveling abroad. Now, at the age of 26, I feel that I am ready to head back to the States and pursue a career in physical therapy. My first order of business will be getting into a program. My stats are as follows

Cum GPA- 3.46
Pre-req GPA- 3.52
GRE- 167V 158Q 4.5A
Related experience- Virtually none. This is what I'll need to work on when I return home to the states.

Unfortunately, I won't be home until July or August of next year, so with PT applications due in November I'd only have a little over three months to gain some volunteer/observation experience. Do you think it is feasible that I could get accepted into a program with so little experience, or should I just plan on waiting for the next round of applications?

Also, with regards to gaining experience, what is the best way to go about doing this? Should I just look up some PTs in my area and go knocking on doors?

And finally, how do my stats look otherwise? I know my GPA is a little below where the averages tend to be, but I'm hoping my GRE score will make up for that.

Thank you very much for your help?

Members don't see this ad.

Great GRE score! Is there a reason that you can't do PT observation wherever it is that you are now? And yes, most people just go knocking on PT's doors and asking if they can observe or volunteer. Make sure to observe in at least three different settings and to get at least some hours in an inpatient setting (such as a hospital or SNF). Schools like to see a variety in observation hours, more than just quantity. The main issue I see in trying to get all your hours done quickly is that it will be hard to form real relationships with PTs in that short amount of time, and therefore it won't be easy to find people to write your letters of recommendation.

I would give it a shot anyway. Try to set up observation opportunities before you come home. You can start looking for clinics online and call them. If you're lucky and look hard, then I think you can accrue a significant number of hours in three months. Obtaining hours in a hospital will be your biggest challenge. However, if the schools see that you are observing in various settings at the time you submit your application, then your application will still be competitive.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
Get as many hours as you can.

I had a little higher GPA but your GRE is higher than mine was, and I just started my first year this summer. I was accepted to 2 schools, and wait-listed at 2 others.

Thanks! I studied hard :)

I'm in Seoul right now, and while I know there are many PTs here, I'm not sure how easy it would be to find one who speaks English. I will look into it though. Chances are good that I'll need to just hit the ground running when I get back to the States next year.

Great GRE score! Is there a reason that you can't do PT observation wherever it is that you are now? And yes, most people just go knocking on PT's doors and asking if they can observe or volunteer. Make sure to observe in at least three different settings and to get at least some hours in an inpatient setting (such as a hospital or SNF). Schools like to see a variety in observation hours, more than just quantity. The main issue I see in trying to get all your hours done quickly is that it will be hard to form real relationships with PTs in that short amount of time, and therefore it won't be easy to find people to write your letters of recommendation.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm going to work lining up observation hours well before I get home. If I can start observing right away, I may be able to sneak in with the 2014 applicants.

I would give it a shot anyway. Try to set up observation opportunities before you come home. You can start looking for clinics online and call them. If you're lucky and look hard, then I think you can accrue a significant number of hours in three months. Obtaining hours in a hospital will be your biggest challenge. However, if the schools see that you are observing in various settings at the time you submit your application, then your application will still be competitive.

Kevin

Congrats! That is definitely reassuring.

Get as many hours as you can.

I had a little higher GPA but your GRE is higher than mine was, and I just started my first year this summer. I was accepted to 2 schools, and wait-listed at 2 others.

Just because apps are due in November doesn't mean you have until November to get hours...your PTCAS needs to be done at least 6 weeks before the deadline, preferably more...