My Personal Approach, Advice needed, please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DETLA GAMMM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so let's be honest, I have around a 3.3 cumulative overall GPA, but will not apply for Medical School admission for another two and a half- three years and will not take the MCAT until next year, so I do not have my MCAT score to help balance my GPA yet. I still have to take requirements like a calculus course, two physics courses, two organic chemistry Courses, an organic chemistry lab, and upper level biology courses. I changed my major as a junior and since I had all of my general education requirements done, all I have left to take is upper level science major courses, four upper level Spanish courses until I am done with that major, and two maths. I plan on finishing with anywhere for a 3.5 to the highest I can make it is a 3.6/3.7. My science GPA is not well defined at all considering I have one course complete under it, and still need about six pre-medicine requirements left; not to mention my fifteen to twenty upper level biology and micro biology courses left to take.

I am a double major in Microbiology and Spanish, I have also completed a semester abroad in Spain so I am fluent. I am graduating a year late to space out my majors classes, since I changed my major as a junior in college. If I added a few beginner, but diverse classes like on anthropology or other intro classes to boost my GPA would that be good, or just not matter? I am just trying to be realistic and like the original poster, I am curious. I have amazing (not meant in a bragging way) extracurricular activities from research to mentoring freshman science major, volunteering, being active in my sorority, holding leadership positions at my university and within my sorority. I am also in two honor societies for academic performance, that are nationally recognized. I have over one-hundred volunteer hours from my sorority, but countless from other organizations I am passionate about; including going on mission trips.

I just get anxiety sometimes thinking about it all. I am really dedicated and it is my passion and dream to become a doctor. I lost about seventeen family members within three years, including all four grandparents (who I was extremely close to) to cancer or Alzheimer's Disease. I may not have the strongest GPA, but my work ethic is nothing short of giving everything one-hundred percent. I actually care and want to better lives after what I have seen with my grandparents and losing so many loved ones to cruel illnesses, cancers, and diseases. I look at message boards an statistics about my GPA, some comfort me and some make me even more anxious. I am giving it my all, but just from constructive criticism or personal opinion, any input is appreciated. What are my chances, my strengths, my weaknesses, etc.? Does having a Spanish Major give me even the slightest advantage ?(And yes, I am actually fluent.) Does anything else outside of research, etc. like being in a sorority for four year and holding leadership positions give me the slightest advantage over another persons application? I am just honestly curious, I am not saying anything gives me an advantage and I am not looking for an easy loop hole to get into medical school.

I just need some realistic response for my current situation even though I have seen post similar to mine, I wanted to make it personal. So, sorry is this is an irritating re-post, but I just need advice. I want it so bad, sometimes I just think about it and get an anxiety attack. So I want to be realistic and see what people have to say on advice, opinions, and even just simple thoughts.

I just want to know what I need to do in every aspect of my application to be the best candidate I can be.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration in reading this post.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think taking intro courses to raise your GPA would mean much, I'd think adcoms know when to see fluff. Intro courses would probably look like fluff since you are already a junior. High grades in upper level sciences courses would mean much more. Anyone want to chime in on this?

Leadership is important and would put you in good light.

Being a spanish major MIGHT be able to help you if you are given the chance to elaborate how it would help you in your goal to become a doctor (other than thinking it would look good on an application)

Thank you for your input. Do you think as long as I continue to make A's in my upper level course work sciences and Spanish courses, I can get my GPA to about a 3.6/3.7, I should be fine in that aspect? Also, I can explain why that enhance my goal in becoming a doctor. I really want to do mission work abroad in Spanish speaking countries, i.e. Doctor's without borders and my claim is I could be not only able to aid in medical treatment, but be a translator as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
My main question I suppose it elaborating on the use of my Spanish degree in my MD career, along with a higher GPA about a 3.6/3.7, along with an average or above average MCAT score should give me a good chance a medical school? Along with everything else I described, I plan to keep working hard and making A's. I may possibly retake a course I made a C+ in, I am pretty sure I would make an A the second time... Averaging it to a B, it is a science course. Other than that, I am doing well so far in upper level courses and my GPA keeps going up. I have about four more semesters worth of classes to go, I switched my major so late.

Also just wondering what I could do to improve myself as an applicant for the future and what averages I could aim for? Although, I plan to obtain the highest GPA and MCAT I possibly can, but just asking in a more direct way. Other websites and message boards are so broad, I am never sure what to think. Do I have a good shot with my plan?

I HONESTLY want to use my bilingual skills as a way to better the world, I have spent time abroad and could set up medical clinics for people who need it.

I HONESTLY want to use my bilingual skills as a way to better the world, I have spent time abroad and could set up medical clinics for people who need it.

You don't need to go abroad to find Spanish-speaking people in need. There is a huge population of people in the USA already who don't speak English and no doubt would feel a lot more comfortable being able to talk freely with a doctor in their native tongue.

Depending on where you work and what specialty you go into, being fluent in Spanish could be incredibly useful.

Yes, all of the extracurricular entries you've noted are positives on an application; realize though that they are not unique in the sense that many other applicants have similar achievements, with exceptional numbers as well. Focus on grades and rocking the MCAT; If you boost your GPA to a 3.6-3.7, showing a very strong upward trend in upper division sciences and get a solid MCAT score >30, your chances should be quite good.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you sound like a great candidate. Get awesome letters of recommendation, and tear it up with you personal statement. Of course, do well on MCAT. Keep the pedal down working so hard, and I think you sound like a shoe-in if all of the rest goes well. Be proud of your accomplishments thus far.

Good for you. But, you don't need to go abroad to put your language skills to work. Come to Texas. Just about every job opening you see here pays more if you speak Spanish. (Granted I doubt it applies to physician openings.)

I dunno, some of it sounds too cookie-cutter philanthropic to me. Haha. I'm not doubting any sincerity in it, but yeah, like Quik said, it's not so "unique," especially with the words you used ("as a way to better the world.") Maybe we can improve that for the PS.

I don't think taking intro courses to raise your GPA would mean much, I'd think adcoms know when to see fluff. Intro courses would probably look like fluff since you are already a junior. High grades in upper level sciences courses would mean much more. Anyone want to chime in on this?

)
Disagree. The OP still has to take the basic pre-req's for medical school. Those are the classes the adcoms look at and those grades are the most important.

You don't need to go abroad to find Spanish-speaking people in need. There is a huge population of people in the USA already who don't speak English and no doubt would feel a lot more comfortable being able to talk freely with a doctor in their native tongue.

Depending on where you work and what specialty you go into, being fluent in Spanish could be incredibly useful.
Being fluent is excessingly usefull in many places in the US, not just Texas. I have worked clinics in Colorado and Oregon that were almost exclusively Hispanic patients with the majority only speaking Spanish.

Way too early to tell. If you can keep on track as you predict you will be competitive. If your ECs are as good as you say they are, then you're heading int he right direction

What are my chances, my strengths, my weaknesses, etc.?

It helps.
Does having a Spanish Major give me even the slightest advantage ?(And yes, I am actually fluent.)

A little bit. This "leadership" stuff never impresses me anyway. I'm more partial to people who do things like establish a successful foundation or charity.
Does anything else outside of research, etc. like being in a sorority for four year and holding leadership positions give me the slightest advantage over another persons application?

Just remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Disagree. The OP still has to take the basic pre-req's for medical school. Those are the classes the adcoms look at and those grades are the most important.

I was under the impression that OP had already taken the beginner science classes as she had mentioned the need to take the upper level science courses.

I think what she was referring to were the introductory "diverse" courses e.g., anthropology, which some schools would require for humanities, but too many basic/introductory courses at a junior level in college to boost GPA would be awkward. What do you have to say about that @Goro ?

Not to mention having 15-20 upper level science courses to take, including calculus, physics, orgo, and 4 spanish courses. It sounds like a lot and to include intro classes might put her over her head.

--Actually now I'm quite confused as to how she has to take 15-20 upper level science courses to take with only 1 course under her science GPA. Can you clarify this @DETLA GAMMM ? What's your definition of upper level then?

I was under the impression that OP had already taken the beginner science classes as she had mentioned the need to take the upper level science courses.

I think what she was referring to were the introductory "diverse" courses e.g., anthropology, which some schools would require for humanities, but too many basic/introductory courses at a junior level in college to boost GPA would be awkward. What do you have to say about that @Goro ?

Not to mention having 15-20 upper level science courses to take, including calculus, physics, orgo, and 4 spanish courses. It sounds like a lot and to include intro classes might put her over her head.

--Actually now I'm quite confused as to how she has to take 15-20 upper level science courses to take with only 1 course under her science GPA. Can you clarify this @DETLA GAMMM ? What's your definition of upper level then?
Major in microbiology doesn't give you the basic organic, physics, etc that they still need to take. Looks like are taking upper division biology for that major which doesn't cover pre-req's.

Non-trad students get cut some slack for taking CC coursework. It becomes an issue more for regular UG students who give the appearance that they're trying to avoid the weeding courses at their one UG school. This attitude may penalize those students who simply want to save some bucks by taking coursework at a CC.

@Why Not MD? I started out as a nursing major and did not switch my major to microbiology as pre-med student until last fall... So I only have just now started taking upper level science courses for my new major. I have taken Anatomy and Physiology classes, making As... As well as upper level nutrition that counted for my old major. I am just now taking pre-med classes and biology major classes.

Thank you all for the feedback... Also I have a question about course withdrawals...

This sounds terrible, but I have eight, yes I said it eight. All, but one are from my old major either when I switched I no longer needed the course so it was dropped as a W not affecting my GPA or it was my freshman and sophomore year when I was dumb and trying to figure things out. The ones I dropped freshman year were because I was having rough family issues with deaths and anxiety was high, I retook all of the classes and made nothing lower than a B+, and like I said they pertain to my old major.

My junior year I dropped two because I no longer needed the courses.

I have only dropped one class my senior year, and it is because my mom had surgery and I did not want to overload myself with my mom and it bring down my pre-med core classes, although it was a bio class.

I know I have eight, but I can explain them all due to old major and family problems... It's not because I was like nah, I'm too lazy, I'll try again next time.

Please be honest, I want to practice medicine and use my bilingual skills, I want it more than anything, except maybe breathing. Sounds dramatic a little, I know.

Please read my previous post and this current one to give helpful criticism and direction. I have had poor advising until this semester to help me out with my medical school direction, so part of it to blame is me and my resources.

I do not graduate undergrad for another two years, this W was my last. If I keep improving like my grade have, NO MORE WITHDRAWLS, and I recently have been accepted in a research lab and I am so excited to gain knowledge about different areas and techniques.

I will keep building my resume and plan for my grades to go up...

Advice, guidance, and answers please and thank you! You all are the best, I appreciate you all.

I understand I have to keeping working on boosting my GPA, especially in core and upper level science classes, rock the MCAT, solid letters of recommendation, and don't stop with the extra curriculars... And no more Ws, although I can explain the reasons why I have the ones I do.

Yes my case is weird and different, so if I keep an upward trend my chances look at least good?

Jaaayzus. Just breathe.
Seriously, breathe. In, out, count to 5...

3.3 isn't killer, but it isn't a death sentence either. More science classes (with A's) will bring it up.
And read around on the non-trad forum. People have gotten in with lower numbers than you. Doesn't mean they didn't have to work hard to get there, but if you're willing to put in the work (and you have the time to do that), then you also have a shot. There are many stories on here, check them out.
Yes, an upward trend helps; yes, being bilingual is a plus; you also need shadowing & volunteering (since you haven't mentioned that yet).
And really, breathe.

Also, you're not that weird and different (more with the reading). You have a valid explanation for the W's, you're fine. Try to avoid more, but it's okay. Breathe. Possibly see a counselor for anxiety. Breathe some more.

Wow.... You need to relax and really consider going to your school's counseling services. Reading your posts even gave me anxiety and stress ( and most of us have our fair share already!)