My "Post-Bacc" Plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetGo of TheEgo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought a thread about our "post-bacc" plans would help others in their decision-making process.

Here's my story... I decided to pursue medicine approximately one year ago. I'm an interdisciplinary studies majors with "confirmed" concentrations in sociology and religion (i have an abundance of credit hours, where I could choose among a few minors). I'll graduate with a 3.0 GPA, (2.4 was my lowest point).

I've considered all my post-bacc options and I found that staying at my state university had the biggest rewards. Therefore, my plans are to apply for a second degree, a bachelor of science in Biology. With all the pre-med requirements, I figure I would go all the way and recieve a diploma. A second B.S. degree will be useful even without a med school acceptance. It seems better to tell prospective employers that you have two degrees rather than tell them you have 1 degree and took some classes elsewhere. And I obviously enjoy Biology!

Staying in Blacksburg, VA is the best decision I've made. First, volunteer opportunities are availible. A local health care system, hospice providers, and nursing homes are found throughout the area. Having been a student here for 4 years I've made great connections with faculty members. State tuition is absurdly cheap compared to organized Post-Bacc Programs. For the amount that I would pay for a post-bacc certificate in the out-of-state schools I've looked into, I could finance a B.S. degree in Biology. Lastly, a medical school was built here and is accepting their first matriculants (Edward Via School of Ostepathic Medicine). Further increasing potential medical resources already here.

Futhermore, my university wont require me to take classes for our "core curriculum", required of all undergraduate students, since I will have already graduated with a degree from the school. This allows me to recieve a B.S. degree in Biology in 2-3 years.

I figure I'll be 26 when I apply to med school. And lets consider this, choosing to be a physician is a life-long commitment. Suppose I enter med school at 26, add 4 for education, 3 for residency, and another year just beacuse, I'll be a licensed physician at 34. That leaves me another 30 YEARS as physician.

This is basically my last time to recieve a good education. I cant miss the opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

hi!
I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your side of the story. i wish i could stay in my state school but they are really feeling the budget cuts and won't accept me as a second bacc student. good luck!

al