My Predicament

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AP191

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

The new application cycle has already started and it's time for a new round of stress. In my case, I can't decide whether to go the early decision route or not. I am committed to go to Northwestern, but I do not think I may have the stats (3.6 pGPA, 3.48 cGPA, 152,152, 4.5 GRE) to actually get accepted. I looked on PTCAS and it shows the average GPA was 3.72. If I apply for ED, as you know I cannot apply to any other school, and if I get rejected, then I will be applying really late for schools that have rolling admissions, but the chances increase if I apply for ED.

If you guys were in my shoes would you apply for Early Decision?

Members don't see this ad.

It can never hurt to apply early decision. The pool of applicants is usually smaller, and if you are not accepted for ED, you go into the regular admission pool.

However, I would only be concerned that your GRE scores are probably on the low side for ED.

I'm not applying ED to any schools, but isn't the ED deadline the same for them all? August 15? And according to PTCAS, the schools must notify you by September 25. Are you worried this is too late for schools that start rolling admissions in July & August?

Yes, since the earlier to apply is better for schools that do rolling admissions. If I do ED and get rejected, then I would essentially be applying in the beginning of october. Speaking of GRE, would you recommend I retake it?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I do ED and get rejected, then I would essentially be applying in the beginning of october.

That's the risk you take if you choose to apply ED.

I would retake the GRE. 152 corresponds to the 54 (V) and 48 (Q) percentiles. Northwestern is a Top 10 school with their average general application scores at 154 and 157. Especially for ED, your scores need to be more competitive.

You do not seem confident that you will get in with ED. Northwestern has rolling admissions, so I would not do ED, but apply early to Northwestern in addition to your other schools. If I were in you shoes. Others may disagree.

When I toured northwestern a few months ago, one of the professors in charge of admissions said that my chances were MUCH higher if I applied ED. I have similar stats to you (3.6 GPA, 3.3pGPA, 153V, 155Q). I probably would not get in regular decision

Northwestern does not have rolling admissions.

But thanks Watson, I counted all the programs I am applying to and only 3 out of the 10 were rolling admissions, so I'm leaning towards early decision. I emailed the admissions director, and they basically said it's better to apply for ED if you have all your requirements completed.

Last edited: