My previous job was very unique - does it count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shalashaska1

Reaction score
I worked for a police department that was contracted to provide security services to a medical school and it's attached clinic, where patients would be seen. For the most part, I would be at the front desk observing patients as they would come in - basically saying hi and providing directions if needed since the place was rather large, sometimes wheel them in the wheelchair if they had trouble walking. Very basic stuff.

This is where my experience starts to become unique:

On a few occasions, a patient would express to their doctor that they were having thoughts of suicide, not agree with the suggestion that the doctor made, and try to leave. Very big concern. I would be the one to make sure they were transported to the nearest hospital for psychiatric evaluation. I recall one time essentially talking a man out of killing himself by jumping off the parking garage, and instead, was successfully transported to the hospital in the area which deals with this kind of thing. Sometimes, patients would become irate at the billing office and I would calm them down. I believe I paid the balance for a guy so that he could be seen, since it was only ~$20.

I was never necessarily in the room watching doctor/patient interactions. However, the rule I've seen is that "if you can smell the patient, it's clinical". I did this for 3 years. Does this count as ~3 years clinical experience? Without this, my experience would be 0.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, speaking to people who are presenting to the health care facility for health care services, is clinical. As you have described, you are meeting people when they are not at their best: not feeling well, being afraid, distraught, angry, nervous, distracted, even suicidal.

You should have shadowing or some other experience of seeing physicians working to understand what their day looks like but you do have 3 years of clinical experience based on what you have described.

Reactions: 1 user