My revised resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsc2879

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the revised resume. Thanks to everybody left comment on my previous thread.

*I want to make it clear. what do you think I shoud do to make me a better candidate for med school? more volunteering? more research? I know I have not shadowed yet, I am going to do it this summer.

OBJECTIVE
To obtain a research position for summer 2010.

EDUCATION
The Pennsylvania State University. University Park; Shreyer Honors College
Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering with Electric Option – May 2011; Cumulative GPA: 3.83

EXPERIENCE
Lab assistant, two months, summer 2009, dipolar additions in the area of heterocylic chemistry
*Under the supervision of Dr. Michael De Rosa (professor of chemistry) at The Pennsylvania State University at brandywine campus.
*This was my first research job. From this job, I got trained in the area of organic chemistry research. I read the related literature and learned how to assemble the instrumentations and run complex organic reactions – using NMR, nitrogen gas, distillation, and column chromatography. I also learned how to cooperate with my colleagues in a lab setting.

Lab intern, two months, fall 2009, enhance and adjust atrial fibrillation catheter, affiliated with Medtronic, Inc.
*Under the supervision of Dr. Nadine Smith (associate professor of bioengineering) at The Pennsylvania State University at University Park.
*This is my second research experience. I learned general rules and regulations in the area of bioengineering research, read related literature, observed and being instructed on how to use instruments, such as capacitor – inductor circuit, and function generator, oscilloscope and Triple – Output power supply, to conduct bioengineering research.

Backline sandwich maker, the Arby's, every weekends and summer from 2007-2009
*I need to keep up with the pace during meal time and do some carry and clean, physical demanding work. I could finish a big work load in a fast pacing.
Presentations
*The model of two lanes Traffic controller (2009) under the supervision of Dr. Asad Azemi (associate professor of engineering) at EURECA conference in the Pennsylvania State University brandywine campus.
*Research Project on the signal detection of the QRS Diagnostic six – leads EKG machine 2009) under the supervision of Dr. Asad Azemi (associate professor of engineering) at the Northeast Regional Honors Conference in Annapolis, MD.

SKILL
*Using engineering and computer software: COMSOL *Multiphysics, Solid Work, Multisim, C++, Mat Lab, *Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Minitab.
*Research of dipolar additions in the area of heterocylic chemistry.
* Mandarin Chinese is my first language. As a native Chinese, I am familiar with Chinese culture. Also as an immigrant, I learned to accommodate in a new living and working environment very quickly.

INVOLVEMENT and HOBBY
*Lion ambassador – lead the prospective students and their families in a tour of the campus and introduce the school to them Fall/Spring 2007-2008
*Community service in the outpatient line at the Riddle Memorial Hospital –taking the patients into the parking lot using wheelchair and talk to them to make them feel more better, making beds, stack and clean the bedsides, and fetch medicine (35 hours) Summer 2007 and Spring 2009
*Writer of the Agora Magazine (Penn State School magazine). Present
Have a passion for literature and history. Won prize in Chinese composition contest and be able and have read classic Chinese history books, literature and philosophy.

*The presentations are on two of my honor projects. Since they are in class projects, I did not list them under experience category. But I really presented them at two conferences, I wrote them under presentation category. Is it OK?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
maybe you want to take off your personal info for this forum.

Bachelor of Science -- "expected in" ___

I don't think the sandwich work is very relevant - take it off.

"SKILLS"

you may want a native English speaker to just read over it with you and help with some minor stuff.

This is the revised resume. Thanks to everybody left comment on my previous thread.

*I want to make it clear. what do you think I shoud do to make me a better candidate for med school? more volunteering? more research? I know I have not shadowed yet, I am going to do it this summer.

NAME

Permanent Resident Status

Permanent Address: XXX
Cellphone: XXX
Email: XXX
OBJECTIVE
To obtain a research Assistant? position for summer 2010. Full-Time/Part-Time?

EDUCATION
The Pennsylvania State University. University Park; Shreyer Honors College
Bachelor of Science expected in ______. Major: Biomedical Engineering with Electric Option – May 2011; Cumulative GPA: 3.83

Research Experience:
July 2009 - Aug 2009: Lab Assistant - Pennsylvania State University
*Under the supervision of Dr. Michael De Rosa (professor of chemistry)PHONE #
Duties: I read the related literature and learned how to assemble the instrumentations and run complex organic reactions – using NMR, nitrogen gas, distillation, and column chromatography.

Aug 2009 - Sep 2009: Lab Intern - Medtronics, Inc.
*Under the supervision of Dr. Nadine Smith (associate professor of bioengineering) at The Pennsylvania State University at University Park. PHONE #
Duties: I read related literature, observed how to use instruments, such as capacitor – inductor circuit, and function generator, oscilloscope and Triple – Output power supply, to conduct bioengineering research.

Presentations
LIST YOUR PRESENTATIONS AS IF CITED IN JOURNAL, no need to explain
(*The model of two lanes Traffic controller (2009) under the supervision of Dr. Asad Azemi (associate professor of engineering) at EURECA conference in the Pennsylvania State University brandywine campus.
*Research Project on the signal detection of the QRS Diagnostic six – leads EKG machine 2009) under the supervision of Dr. Asad Azemi (associate professor of engineering) at the Northeast Regional Honors Conference in Annapolis, MD.)

SKILL
*Using engineering and computer software: COMSOL *Multiphysics, Solid Work, Multisim, C++, Mat Lab, *Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Minitab.

Languages (Fluent)
* Mandarin Chinese, English

Organizations and Honors
*( Fall/Spring 2007-2008)Lion ambassador – lead the prospective students and their families in a tour of the campus and introduce the school to them
*(Summer 2007 and Spring 2009)Community service in the outpatient line at the Riddle Memorial Hospital –taking the patients into the parking lot using wheelchair and talk to them to make them feel more better, making beds, stack and clean the bedsides, and fetch medicine (35 hours)
*(Present)Writer of the Agora Magazine (Penn State School magazine).
Won prize in Chinese composition contest and be able and have read classic Chinese history books, literature and philosophy.

Heres what I think you should do...You have a couple of redundant things in there and a little too much unneeded information. As the poster above mentioned, your Arbys work is not important for a research position and should not be included. For research type positions, you generally want to submit a CV which is more directly in line with the position you are applying for - hence give them information on your research experience.

Also, notice that I seperated out your Native Language. In my experience in research, there are a lot of foreign researchers, especially chinese researchers. Some do not communicate all that well in english. Seperating out that you speak native chinese could work in your favor to ensure that they do not miss this fact. A lot of these labs, in my experience, will hire people that speak their native tongue over someone who does not.

The formatting I did is really just my preference. But, having the dates placed out front of the text for your experiences makes it easier for the interviewer to skim down the section and see you've been working in research for X amount of years/months without having to go through all the text to find it...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Moving to the What Are My Chances subforum.