36yo with meh GPA, low MCAT, but good resume. WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liztyt

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in a very unique situation here. I've been thinking about applying to med school, and I'd be a non-traditional applicant. I have quite a few concerns, but I also have things going for me, so I'm not sure what my chances are. I'll go ahead and just tell the whole story here.

I was an awful student in high school, unmanaged ADHD & pretty serious mental health issues, ended up dropping out in the middle of my sophomore year. I do have a pretty extensive juvenile criminal record from ages 13-15, but all is sealed. I did get my GED, and immediately went into my first round of community college. I got my EMT certification and associates in social work, but graduated that first round with 1.92 GPA.

I was on a volunteer fire department and employed as an ED tech from age 16 to 18, then transferred within that hospital to psych tech & took a hiatus from the fire department. While I was working as a psych tech, this began my 2nd round of community college. Got my certification to be a surgical tech, GPA on that was 2.13...

Started working as a surgical tech full time, while also getting hired part time as an EMT in a busy urban 911 ambulance service. Took a brief hiatus as I had kids. That was from around ages 20-24, then my 3rd stint of community college. Got my certified first assist, GPA on that was 3.57. Significantly better. Also got to be involved in all sorts of cool stuff – ortho trauma, open hearts, da vinci cases, organ procurement, etc.

Immediately after that, went part time on my surg first assist stuff & left the ambulance service. Went through the police academy, started a bachelor's in conservation biology, and joined campus police. From age 25-27, I was a LEO/EMT for campus police while in school & part time for surg first assist. At 27, I left campus police and joined a nearby big city police department as a LEO/EMT. Stayed there until I was 29 & graduated with my bachelors, GPA 3.32, and went per diem on surgical first assisting.
Conservation officer/game warden + per diem surgical first assist from ages 29 to 30, had a pretty serious line of duty injury. Trauma oophorectomy & hysterectomy, bladder required repair, some bowel resection, fun stuff later.. left the game warden service.

Joined on a suburban police department. Patrol as an LEO/EMT for a year full time, did a 4th stint in community college for digital forensics & got my paramedic. GPA on that was 3.72.

At 32 was a full time patrol officer, rehired at the big city EMS agency as a paramedic part time. While at that PD I founded our digital forensics program, got promoted to detective in our family services unit. Transferred to our violent crimes & homicide unit. Got to Sgt. Briefly was the public relations officer. I'm 36, now am the assistant chief + director of EMS operations.

As far as other application stuff:

• I took the MCAT a couple years back, got a 494. Retook fairly recently, 504.

• I do have some decent LORs (one from a bio professor, one from an orthopedic surgeon, one from CV surgeon I worked with, one from an OMFS)

• I do have some publications, but nothing super crazy. Mostly non-medical, law enforcement journals. A couple okay bio pubs, one as a coauthor to our district wildlife biologist as a conservation officer. Then some paramedic case reports, a couple actually pretty cool.

Do I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? What are your cGPA and sGPA for all your undergraduate level courses (this does not include any high school grades or graduate schools courses) ?