My science turnaround, have I done enough?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irish Football

MCAT Rudy Ruettiger
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about my turnaround in my science classes;

First two years:
Gen Chem I, II----- B+, B
Calc I, II, III-------- C, C+, B-
Orgo I, II------------ B, B
Orgo Lab------------ B+, A
Linear Algebra----- A-

Last Two Years:
Bio I, II, Labs------ A, A, A, A
Biochem, Lab------ A, A
Analytical Chem--- A
Physics I, Lab------ A, A
Physical Chem I--- A-

(I still have my last semester left to get A's in P-chem II and Physics II)

My science gpa will only be 3.4-something when I apply this summer, but I was hoping that my trend outlined above means that my 3.4 will really be viewed as better than, say, a consistent 3.4 throughout all 4 years.

I've tried so hard my past two years to fix the mistakes I made during my first few semesters, I hope that I have done enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Since calc isn't really a prerequisite for most schools, I believe it would affect less to have a "C" compared to having one in say chemistry. A 3.4 science is still below the median at many MD schools, but you are in the zone for D.O. programs. I think an excellent performance on the MCAT would be expected if you want to give definitive proof that you're now a top student.

Impressive turnaround! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in to MD with a 3.40 science gpa :) Bring it up as much as you can, but you arent screwed dont worry!

I got in to MD with a 3.40 science gpa :) Bring it up as much as you can, but you arent screwed dont worry!

Did u have anything else that you think helped to make up for your sGPA, ie high MCAT, upward trend, significant ECs, etc..?

Since calc isn't really a prerequisite for most schools, I believe it would affect less to have a "C" compared to having one in say chemistry. A 3.4 science is still below the median at many MD schools, but you are in the zone for D.O. programs. I think an excellent performance on the MCAT would be expected if you want to give definitive proof that you're now a top student.

Some schools would require a semester of some type of Calculus though.
I think your upward trend is great. I think that since you took a lot of upper-levels and got high grades, you may be looked on more favorably that one that only completed the pre-reqs and has a 3.5.
Score well on the MCAT and you can be a solid applicant provided you have good EC's.

Some schools would require a semester of some type of Calculus though.
I think your upward trend is great. I think that since you took a lot of upper-levels and got high grades, you may be looked on more favorably that one that only completed the pre-reqs and has a 3.5.
Score well on the MCAT and you can be a solid applicant provided you have good EC's.

Thanks for the encouragement, nice avatar btw.

ive seen people get in with 3.4's to stanford, mid tiers, and low tiers... they compensated for their weaknesses by having superb ecs, recs, etc...

make sure everything else is perfect. oh yeah, get a very high mcat score depending on the schools that you are targeting (33+ for mid tier, 37+ for upper/top tier)