My Sdn Rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edkNARF

A is A
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have stood idly by for too long. I hate seeing people post like "you should never go to a private school," "unless you start working with patients when you are a D1, you will never be a dentist," or my favorite "if you don't go your state school, you are an idiot." I believe that everyone chooses the school they are going to attend for a multitude of reasons. We all have very different situations/backrounds/life stories, so one school is not right for everybody. I also believe that nobody has the right to tell anybody what do to with their life if they are not the ones paying for it. So unless any SDNers are planning on paying for anyone elses education, don't tell people that "you are an idiot if you don't go to a "clinical school."

Members don't see this ad.

edkNARF said:
I have stood idly by for too long. I hate seeing people post like "you should never go to a private school," "unless you start working with patients when you are a D1, you will never be a dentist," or my favorite "if you don't go your state school, you are an idiot." I believe that everyone chooses the school they are going to attend for a multitude of reasons. We all have very different situations/backrounds/life stories, so one school is not right for everybody. I also believe that nobody has the right to tell anybody what do to with their life if they are not the ones paying for it. So unless any SDNers are planning on paying for anyone elses education, don't tell people that "you are an idiot if you don't go to a "clinical school."

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

edkNARF said:
... "you should never go to a private school" ..."if you don't go your state school, you are an idiot." ...nobody has the right to tell anybody what do to with their life...
:clap:
but...hey, if u wanna go to your state school..by all means go...that gives waitlisters a chance!
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! You read my mind! :thumbup: Furthermore, some students have no choice but to go to a private school (like us Canadians), but hey I have absolutely NO problem with that. :D

edkNARF said:

Well I agree with you,... you should choose the school that is best suited for you... and thats generally the advise I give. The PROBLEM is that everyday there is a new post of: School A vs. School B... thus if you ask for people an opinion, they are going to give it to you with their own biases. Thats what you get for asking on SDN, comes with the territory.

edkNarf RIGHT ON, I AGREE, NONE OF YOU FOOLS KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!! Most of you aren't even in freaking dental school yet seem to have very strong opinions that are based on well, who know's what??? Now you all can get on my culo for bashing you . . . but I won't even be reading! ha ha

Samantina said:
edkNarf RIGHT ON, I AGREE, NONE OF YOU FOOLS KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!! Most of you aren't even in freaking dental school yet seem to have very strong opinions that are based on well, who know's what??? Now you all can get on my culo for bashing you . . . but I won't even be reading! ha ha

Who are you talking about? Are you talking to me! no you talkin to him! No you idiot she is talking to me! :D

HD

Here's my rant: losers who get banned time and time again and pop up as different people the next day, propigating more useless posts. Any way to get their computer banned from making a new account?

USUaggie said:
Here's my rant: losers who get banned time and time again and pop up as different people the next day, propigating more useless posts. Any way to get their computer banned from making a new account?

Yeah but they probably arent using one computer. Most of us are students, so we have access to computer labs... I know for my part, I usually access SDN from school when Im working (aka procasternating). So they would have a hard time banning me, I use a different computer everyday!

I suspect VB does the same

dentist_to_be? said:
Yeah but they probably arent using one computer. Most of us are students, so we have access to computer labs... I know for my part, I usually access SDN from school when Im working (aka procasternating). So they would have a hard time banning me, I use a different computer everyday!

I suspect VB does the same
That's a good point, but I think you're giving him too much credit. I think that he's a pimply 15 year old in the basement posting on 10 forums at a time while listening to Simple Plan, he plays Magic with his friend (singular - this might actually be a hamster) on the weekends, and he's either freakishly skinny or really fat. In this case the banning would be effective.

Maybe I'm setting the bar too high, but I expect more from my fellow college students than what I've seen from him

Members don't see this ad :)
You all take SDN too seriously. It is a forum for discussion. We create threads with titles so that you can see what the topic is and then open it and respond if you are interested. If you are not interested just keep on moving. If someone wants to get peoples opinions on school A vs. school B, so be it. We all know that opinions come with bias. I guess my rant is against you all for having this ideal picture of what SDN should be and then whining about it when you finally realize that it will never be that way because you cant control everyone and their posts.

USUaggie said:
That's a good point, but I think you're giving him too much credit. I think that he's a pimply 15 year old in the basement posting on 10 forums at a time while listening to Simple Plan, he plays Magic with his friend (singular - this might actually be a hamster) on the weekends, and he's either freakishly skinny or really fat. In this case the banning would be effective.

Maybe I'm setting the bar too high, but I expect more from my fellow college students than what I've seen from him

now thats funny

edkNARF said:

Im sure this is directed somewhat to me, cause I know that edknarf has been quite vocal in opposition towards my views.

Look, I stand by my statments and Ill say it again....if you pick a private school over a state school....yes you are an idiot. If you dont wanna listen to me, any dentist will tell you this.

People somehow think that dentistry is an immediate goldmine after graduation, but people dont realize that it takes time to be well established and to make those incomes that you always hear from dentists.

On top of that, sure life is great now living upstairs in your parent's house, but what about in the future, when you have to buy a house, a car, support children, pay the bills, have a retirement fund.....and dont forget that you'll have to shell out a ton of cash to open up your own practice (or buy-in).

Who the hell would want a 300K debt to worry about on top of all of that? Of course every dental student incurs debt, but why not lessen the burden?? Every dollar you borrow has to be paid back PLUS interest....there is no such thing as free money.....you dont need a Harvard MBA to realize that taking the least debt is the most financially sound thing one can do....

I think its ignorant to ignore this, and the reason that Im so vocal about it, is that some people dont think about it until someone puts it in words so everyone can read....hopefully it gets people thinking.

Unless your rich where money is no problem, do yourself and your future a favour....choose your school wisely and not base it on superficial reasons.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Im sure this is directed somewhat to me, cause I know that edknarf has been quite vocal in opposition towards my views.

Look, I stand by my statments and Ill say it again....if you pick a private school over a state school....yes you are an idiot. If you dont wanna listen to me, any dentist will tell you this.

People somehow think that dentistry is an immediate goldmine after graduation, but people dont realize that it takes time to be well established and to make those incomes that you always hear from dentists.

On top of that, sure life is great now living upstairs in your parent's house, but what about in the future, when you have to buy a house, a car, support children, pay the bills, have a retirement fund.....and dont forget that you'll have to shell out a ton of cash to open up your own practice (or buy-in).

Who the hell would want a 300K debt to worry about on top of all of that? Of course every dental student incurs debt, but why not lessen the burden?? Every dollar you borrow has to be paid back PLUS interest....there is no such thing as free money.....you dont need a Harvard MBA to realize that taking the least debt is the most financially sound thing one can do....

I think its ignorant to ignore this, and the reason that Im so vocal about it, is that some people dont think about it until someone puts it in words so everyone can read....hopefully it gets people thinking.

Unless your rich where money is no problem, do yourself and your future a favour....choose your school wisely and not base it on superficial reasons.

A few responses:

-Some people might not care about the financial burden, whether they are well off or feel confident in their future earnings capabilities.

-Some people might want to experience a new environment. They might be sick of where they live and would rather not have to spend another 4 years at their state school that resides in this area.

-Some people might only get into one school, or the only school in their state they get into is private. Say you got into both Temple and USC, but you want to practice in california, USC would be the better choice because Cali. schools teach towards the Cali. state boards.

-There might be aspects about a private or more expensive school than than one likes more than there state school.

The list can go on and on, and the fact that you bash other peoples choices and education really says something about your own character (even though the name clues you into that anyways). Personally, I am going to my state school, but I am very lucky to have earned a spot, whileothers aren't as lucky. I was going to go to one of the schools that you consistently bash and its really a bummer to hear someone put down a school they have never attended. Whatever people hear about a school, it can never equate to someone who's attended and experienced that school. I could only imagine how you would feel if a person went on a tirade about Temple, especially someone who did not attend the school. I know this post won't change how you talk about schools you dislike, but maybe if you don't have something nice to say about things you've never experinced, dont say them at all.

USUaggie said:

thats funny :laugh: :D

Last edited:
nothen2do said:
A few responses:

-Some people might not care about the financial burden, whether they are well off or feel confident in their future earnings capabilities.

-Some people might want to experience a new environment. They might be sick of where they live and would rather not have to spend another 4 years at their state school that resides in this area.

-Some people might only get into one school, or the only school in their state they get into is private. Say you got into both Temple and USC, but you want to practice in california, USC would be the better choice because Cali. schools teach towards the Cali. state boards.

-There might be aspects about a private or more expensive school than than one likes more than there state school.

The list can go on and on, and the fact that you bash other peoples choices and education really says something about your own character (even though the name clues you into that anyways). Personally, I am going to my state school, but I am very lucky to have earned a spot, whileothers aren't as lucky. I was going to go to one of the schools that you consistently bash and its really a bummer to hear someone put down a school they have never attended. Whatever people hear about a school, it can never equate to someone who's attended and experienced that school. I could only imagine how you would feel if a person went on a tirade about Temple, especially someone who did not attend the school. I know this post won't change how you talk about schools you dislike, but maybe if you don't have something nice to say about things you've never experinced, dont say them at all.

Well those arent exactly superficial reasons which is what I had stated in my previous post. If you are gonna rebut my comments, why dont you either read my posts clearer or just lick my nutz.

Also, if people bash Temple, I dont really care and Ive said that before....I dont think my school is the best....there are probably many other schools I would rather be at....but if you are gonna bash Temple, its all good....as long as its justified and true. If someone says that Temple's neighbourhood is crap, you wont see me on here saying that its pretty....if people say that Temple's facilities arent as nice as Tufts, you aint gonna hear me argue that.

Im not a loser from Columbia or BU that no matter what is said about their school, they feel like they have to defend it. If people speak the truth, thats all I ask.

edkNARF said:
"unless you start working with patients when you are a D1, you will never be a dentist,"

Who in the world said something so stupid?

So we're talking about two rants now, I guess it's my fault for ranting my own rant on someone else's rand thread.
Losers
So last night I stay up the ENTIRE night in the school computer lab doing a folklore term paper (sdn was my topic ;) ) and at 5:30 am I go to the bathroom and notice that out of the 20 of us in there, two or three are just playing online poker! They didn't have books or anything, it made me laugh. What would drive a person to be up all night on a monday night playing on-line poker? :laugh: Then agian, why am I up at 4 am doing this?

Schools
I don't know if this will help anyone's arguments, but I applied to 8 schools, 4 private and 4 state, and LLU -a private school- ended up being the cheapest for me (according to Bus's website) by quite a bit.
According to my own #s, when cost of living and everything was totalled, all 8 schools were right around the 200k mark so that's what I'm planning on.

USUaggie said:
So we're talking about two rants now, I guess it's my fault for ranting my own rant on someone else's rand thread.
Losers
So last night I stay up the ENTIRE night in the school computer lab doing a folklore term paper (sdn was my topic ;) ) and at 5:30 am I go to the bathroom and notice that out of the 20 of us in there, two or three are just playing online poker! They didn't have books or anything, it made me laugh. What would drive a person to be up all night on a monday night playing on-line poker? :laugh: Then agian, why am I up at 4 am doing this?

Schools
I don't know if this will help anyone's arguments, but I applied to 8 schools, 4 private and 4 state, and LLU -a private school- ended up being the cheapest for me (according to Bus's website) by quite a bit.
According to my own #s, when cost of living and everything was totalled, all 8 schools were right around the 200k mark so that's what I'm planning on.

I've posted this before but didn't get much response. Anybody interested in "sitting at a table" on online texas hold 'em poker? For the uninitiated, you don't have to play with real money and you play in "real time". It's a great way to learn the game. It would be fun if a bunch of us had our own group that played regularly. I use ultimatebet at http://www.ultimatebet.com/download.html and you can use the same name that you do on SDN or some variation (i had to go with "SDN Godfather"). Perhaps we could settle some of these scores on the card table :laugh: PM me or respond here if you're interested before this gets moved to the lounge or something.

toysareus said:
"unless you start working with patients when you are a D1, you will never be a dentist,"

Who in the world said something so stupid?

:laugh: To the contrary (of the above quote), I read this on dentaltown.com the other day. Just one man's opinion that made me feel warm and fuzzy. :p

I went to Penn, graduated in '92 and did a two year GPR in Boston. As part of my second year training I was required to supervise third year clinical students at HSDM one afternoon a week. I had always heard they weren't as clinically oriented or trained as us cool Penn dentists. Let me tell you Harvard students in the third year clinic were the same if not better clinically than any students or dentists I had encountered to date. Plus they learned/practiced in an environment that greatly esteems research and post-doctoral study in a great city. Great connections can be made. The "Harvard dentists aren't good clinicians" myth must really drive the dean crazy. It's not true.

Honestly I think if you do not attend your state school and you elect to pay more than about $25000 extra you should have an extremely good reason for doing so (not just oh i want to get away). So in that respect I agree with Dr. Badvibes. Remember you have to pay this $ back!

DrTacoElf said:
Honestly I think if you do not attend your state school and you elect to pay more than about $25000 extra you should have an extremely good reason for doing so (not just oh i want to get away). So in that respect I agree with Dr. Badvibes. Remember you have to pay this $ back!

I'd agree too. If accumulating wealth is important to you at all, those first several years out of school you are going to have lots more options and freedom than someone with massive debt. You will be able to start you're own practice much quicker and will have much more buying power early on. And as far as your future goes, any financial consultant will tell you that the sooner you start accumulating wealth and saving, the sooner you can retire (and the wealthier you'll be) All this assumes you aren't riding on daddy's paycheck and are planning on paying back these debts yourself. If you have options, the smart money is always on the cheapest route. Believe me, I know dentists that couldn't wait to get their associateships over with so they could start their own thing. No matter what your starting salary, it gets really old really fast when you see other people reaping the benefits of your labors.