My SGU Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10guagesyringe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances at St. Georges?

Just like the thousand other threads I thought I would ask some advice from the sagely board members...

I have a 3.0 over all GPA and a 2.7 Science GPA.

Now before you throw me to the wolves I must say, I had an extremely tough undergraduate career in which I had to work full 40 hour work weeks for the first three years of College to qualify for medical insurance which I needed to maintain treatment for a certain chronic disease I have been suffering from since child hood. Upon qualifying for continued health insurance my grades for the last 60 units of my college career were a 3.72 with SCI GPA of 3.4 and I made the Dean's list twice during that time.

So there is a huge improving trend in my academic GPA.

I am a Biochemistry major from a fairly reputable University

In addition, I have done extensive research and have published 2 papers ( primary author)

I have done a years worth of Emergency Clinical Research at a Level 1 Trauma Facility also working closely on a study investigating the incidence of Pulmonary Embolism in Emergency Settings

I have also worked at a Clinic which is geared towards serving medically undeserved populations, which in fact is my passion to pursue medicine based not only on what I have seen in clinic but in my life as well.

I am also a certified Pharmacy Technician and have worked in a retail and hospital pharmacy setting for the past three years.

My MCAT scores were a 27 R

Bio: 9 Phy: 8 Ver: 10 with a writing score of R.

Every time I talk to the admissions consultants at SGU they lead me to believe I have a shot at admission. I was just wondering what you all thought based on your experiences as Alumni and applicants.

Your feedback is most appreciated,

thank you,

10Guage-

*** I also have an opportunity to pursue a Masters degree, which I am inclined to do if I am not accepted. Do you all think I should forgo even applying and complete the masters, or do I have a shot right out of the gate?

Members don't see this ad.

Just like the thousand other threads I thought I would ask some advice from the sagely board members...

Now before you throw me to the wolves I must say, I had an extremely tough undergraduate career in which I had to work full 40 hour work weeks for the first three years of College to qualify for medical insurance which I needed to maintain treatment for a certain chronic disease I have been suffering from since child hood. Upon qualifying for continued health insurance my grades for the last 60 units of my college career were a 3.72 with SCI GPA of 3.4 and I made the Dean's list twice during that time.

In addition, I have done extensive research and have published 2 papers ( primary author)

I have done a years worth of Emergency Clinical Research at a Level 1 Trauma Facility also working closely on a study investigating the incidence of Pulmonary Embolism in Emergency Settings

I have also worked at a Clinic which is geared towards serving medically undeserved populations, which in fact is my passion to pursue medicine based not only on what I have seen in clinic but in my life as well.

I am also a certified Pharmacy Technician and have worked in a retail and hospital pharmacy setting for the past three years.

Every time I talk to the admissions consultants at SGU they lead me to believe I have a shot at admission. I was just wondering what you all thought based on your experiences as Alumni and applicants.

thank you,

10Guage-

*** I also have an opportunity to pursue a Masters degree, which I am inclined to do if I am not accepted. Do you all think I should forgo even applying and complete the masters, or do I have a shot right out of the gate?

you're good to go. i'd say your chances are close to 100% for january 2010. since people are being waitlisted for august now. many of them aren't even hearing back from their counselors. just explore your options/alternatives (US Allo/DO), but to be brutally honest, your chances at DO are >>MD. think of masters and maybe retaking the mcat. don't sell yourself short just yet.

My sincere advise to you is to read EXTENSIVELY on SGU. It probably gives you the best shot at a primary care residency but its VERY EXPENSIVE. Of the top of my head i can list you the following cons -

1. Class size of August 09 class is 418 excluding GSPers. Its upto you whether to look at it as a +ve or -ve. SABA takes 75/year 3 times/year. But it isn't as glamorous as SGU. In my opinion it goes like SGU>>AUC>Ross (Barring the recent clinical issues).

2. You are looking at a potential debt of 230-250$ (without scholarships). That is a risk you should take realising thoroughly what your potential is. If you do splendidly well and dedicate your heart and soul to your career, you should be able to repay all loans fairly quickly.

3. You will surely face some discrimination as a carib grad. No doubt. How you deal with it is entirely upto you.

Wait though, there are pros too

1. SGU is the next-best-option for almost all US MD rejects. Its also the most well know and reputed med school outside of the US. People will KNOW SGU. Probably Ross too, others suddenly and unfairly come under "caribbean". Call it people's ignorance, but it is the sad truth.

2. Its a competitive place with a solid track record of placing graduates in many fields. Check out their match list for 2009.

This is all from months and months of thorough research about the place. Outside of forums I've spoken to some senior academic medicine professors on how they rate SGU. These are people who regularly see their students doing rotations. So they are well versed with SGU products.

There is more which other people will tell you. Learn to take everything with a pinch of salt. People here will outrightly reject you for even considering a carib school. There are others who will bluntly discourage you. Some might even scare the crap out of you. Just read this post and move like.

Do your OWN research and don't look at ANY OF the posts more than once. You will save yourself precious time. Just my 0.02$.

thank you,

10Guage-

Can't argue with SGU admission councilors. they know best..

Thank you for your sincere reply SChandan.

I have a bit to mull over as I prepare for an MCAT retake. If I score well within the thirties range, I may opt to do a Masters in Clinical Nutrition- which has both a research and didactic component- and if not I will go on with my application to SGU and Ross. The logic with the masters route is that it will allow me to establish a competitive academic record to compliment my potentially improved MCAT score.

Thank you again for your advice,

10 guage