My Slim Chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MLK25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow future doctors,

I am new to this site and want some insights on my chances of being accepted in this cycle. Here are my stats

GPA: 3.60 (tentative) I don't have all my grades yet for this semester
MCAT: 1st try: 17M :(. 2nd try: 18Q :(
EC: Served 4 years in the military on active duty USMC
Two summers of internships in the science field: Beth Israel Medical
Center Cancer Research Office and Columbia University Medical
Center Department of Orthopedic Research
Jeannette K. Watson Fellow
Volunteering: Beth Israel Medical Center
Faculty research assistant
Publications
Spending this summer in Cape Town, South Africa working with kids
and its not a medical mission
And for what its worth I am also an URM. I know my numbers alone makes me seem that I am uncompetent and my dream school is Columbia University which I think might only remain a dream. Any critism is helpful and I have no intention of applying to DO schools. And I don't want to seem like I am bragging about my credentials( besides the MCAT).

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard of people being accepted with low MCAT, but I think it is against astronomical odds to get in with a 18Q, especially with two attempts and a borderline GPA. The average MCAT for Columbia is a 35, which is double what you have. I am not trying to be a buzz kill, but it is rough getting into a US with above a 30. Most schools screen based upon MCAT and GPA, and they will not even get a look at your app. I would consider either applying only DO (or abroad MD) or working a whole year to retake the MCAT again and try to get close to a 30ish.

Was there a particular section on the MCAT that you did poorly on? Or is it low across the sections?

Alleviating a low MCAT is better than trying to alleviate a low GPA, so at least you got that going. That said, you're going to have to really work on the MCAT. Have you looked at prep courses like Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.? If you want specific advice on the MCAT, you should check out the MCAT forum on SDN.

As far as ECs, we don't know the details of your activities, but make sure that you have a lot of clinical experience (patient interaction/care), long-term volunteering, and some shadowing experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still don't understand why people rule out D.O...

You know what the issue is and the best solution at this point will be retaking the MCAT with extensive preparation. How much did you study for either exam?

There is no way one can have 3.6 and can score that low at the same time. I am not saying 3.6 is very hard but if one is smart enough to maintian GPA of 3.6 than he is smart enough to atleast get a 25 on MCAT.

Something is wrong.

According to AAMC, the acceptance rate for your GPA and MCAT is somewhere from 2-4%. And those must have been fairly extenuating circumstances such as their parent was the dean.

Anyway, I am not too informed about Osteopathic admissions, but I think that MCAt would be hard-pressed for those schools as well (they seem to have about a mean of 24). So your best course of action may be to try another retake anyway.

i can't fathom why someone in this situation would refuse to consider DO...but thats a whole other issue...not that a DO school would take that mcat!

i can't fathom why someone in this situation would refuse to consider DO...but thats a whole other issue...not that a DO school would take that mcat!

That's the thing that irritates me. He's got a mcat which is literally so bad that he wouldn't be accepted to a off shore school. Yet he openly states that he will not apply to DO.
Well my friend, do not apply to DO. Because you won't get in with your mcat.

OP - Take a prep course, spend 4 months preparing for the mcat. Then take it. If you get a good mcat then you'll be fine. But if your going to get a mcat thats below 24 after 4 months of studying and a prep course, then medicine is probably not for you.
Peace.

Notwithstanding you kinda insulted the osteopathic profession I will still offer advice.

Retake the MCAT. Think about why it is that you scored so low. Timing? English not your first language? Try and correct the issue.

If you can't improve your extremely low MCAT score, you could always consider the Caribbean.

The rest of your app is pretty good. Good luck!

(I chose D.O. by the way and I love it.)

That's the thing that irritates me. He's got a mcat which is literally so bad that he wouldn't be accepted to a off shore school. Yet he openly states that he will not apply to DO.
Well my friend, do not apply to DO. Because you won't get in with your mcat.

OP - Take a prep course, spend 4 months preparing for the mcat. Then take it. If you get a good mcat then you'll be fine. But if your going to get a mcat thats below 24 after 4 months of studying and a prep course, then medicine is probably not for you.
Peace.

Yeah I dont understand the aversion to DO either, but OP is gonna do what he/she wants. An mcat score below 24 does not mean medicine is not for someone. I know someone who is currently in residency for dermatology and got a 17 on the mcat. He said the abstract nature of the mcat kept his from obtaining a good score. He killed Step 1...obviously since he's in derm and is on his way to a great career. Obviously the majority of people who get a 17 can't cut it in the field of medicine, but there are a select few who can.

I am kinda in the same boat as " Mr no DO". Although i on the other hand would take any school that accepts me.

Please , illd love to hear from actual medical school students or people who have gone through this...

Really depressed right now and i dont know what to do:(. Just got my second mcat scores back and they were pitifull espeacially after 6 months of studying.. i have no idea how else to study for this exam and i really dont want to take it a 3rd time.

Educational Info: Biology major, cgpa 3.5, scigpa 3.7

Stats
1st try: 16N... B7,P6,V3
BTW: I offered a merp position in Ross u with this score but didn't accept it.
2nd try: 18Q...B5,P6,V7.

I also have a crap load of EC's

Ive been doing a lot of thinking and here is what i have come up with
1. Apply to 8 low tier allopathic US schools.. with some major faith..
2. Apply to 6 osteopathic schools.. Also with some major faith..
3. Apply to SGU and AUC.. Faith required..
4. Do a accelarated BSN somewhere
5. Apply for a PA somewhere

Note: number 4 and 5 are my absolute last resort but i dont know if they make any sense because i have no interest in becoming anything else but an MD or DO. The only reason i am even considering is because i think they might help with my application in the future.

I am burnt outta ideas and sick of staying home. Really need help and advise.

Thank you

I am kinda in the same boat as " Mr no DO". Although i on the other hand would take any school that accepts me.

Please , illd love to hear from actual medical school students or people who have gone through this...

Really depressed right now and i dont know what to do:(. Just got my second mcat scores back and they were pitifull espeacially after 6 months of studying.. i have no idea how else to study for this exam and i really dont want to take it a 3rd time.

Educational Info: Biology major, cgpa 3.5, scigpa 3.7

Stats
1st try: 16N... B7,P6,V3
BTW: I offered a merp position in Ross u with this score but didn't accept it.
2nd try: 18Q...B5,P6,V7.

I also have a crap load of EC's

Ive been doing a lot of thinking and here is what i have come up with
1. Apply to 8 low tier allopathic US schools.. with some major faith..
2. Apply to 6 osteopathic schools.. Also with some major faith..
3. Apply to SGU and AUC.. Faith required..
4. Do a accelarated BSN somewhere
5. Apply for a PA somewhere

Note: number 4 and 5 are my absolute last resort but i dont know if they make any sense because i have no interest in becoming anything else but an MD or DO. The only reason i am even considering is because i think they might help with my application in the future.

I am burnt outta ideas and sick of staying home. Really need help and advise.

Thank you
Stop posting everywhere. You are highjacking other people's thread. People already answered your concerns at the DO forum.

Stick to your guns OP. You're way too good for DO with an 18 on your second try.

I think you need to get some life experience and come back to this medical school thing in a year or two. You sound like a narrow minded dweeb. Good luck bozo.

Hey fellow future doctors,

I am new to this site and want some insights on my chances of being accepted in this cycle. Here are my stats

GPA: 3.60 (tentative) I don't have all my grades yet for this semester
MCAT: 1st try: 17M :(. 2nd try: 18Q :(
EC: Served 4 years in the military on active duty USMC
Two summers of internships in the science field: Beth Israel Medical
Center Cancer Research Office and Columbia University Medical
Center Department of Orthopedic Research
Jeannette K. Watson Fellow
Volunteering: Beth Israel Medical Center
Faculty research assistant
Publications
Spending this summer in Cape Town, South Africa working with kids
and its not a medical mission
And for what its worth I am also an URM. I know my numbers alone makes me seem that I am uncompetent and my dream school is Columbia University which I think might only remain a dream. Any critism is helpful and I have no intention of applying to DO schools. And I don't want to seem like I am bragging about my credentials( besides the MCAT).
WOW. 17?18? mcat LOL dam outch! Sorry had to get that out my system. But unless you can invent some cure or come up with a new neurological surgery technique for removing tumors within the cerebellum I dont think so...even with what I just stated you will be fighting uphill. P.S. 17?18? really?:laugh:

I apologise " Demayette" but i really do need answers and i have looked at the DO forum there is nothing pertaining to my specific situation. I am new to SDN and cant figure where the start new thread icon is. Maybe you could help. Thanks