Rate My Chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppytiff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m a working dad (27 yr) thinking about applying for MD in state TX (green card holder and TX resident)

Undergrad cGPA3.5, sGPA 4.0 (chemical engineering major in good state university)
Master in chemical engineer cGPA 3.8

research hours 2000+ (2 pubs not first author)
No clinical experience but work experience as engineer

I’m studying for MCAT and will be taking in April. What score should I target so I have a realistic chance at TX MD schools?

Should I get clinical experience to add to my app?

Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want to be a doctor and how do you know that a medical career is right for you? I don't know how you can explain that with zero clinical experience.

PS. Even with an MCAT score of 528, I'd bet your chance is still less than 1% with without any clinical experience.

Reactions: 2 users
I come from a family of MDs, so I have lots of opportunities to observe how doctors work. I can get some clinical experience before applying next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I come from a family of MDs, so I have lots of opportunities to observe how doctors work. I can get some clinical experience before applying next year.

Observing is different from actually interacting with patients. You have a leg up in that you have family members who are doctors, so you should have no problem obtaining clinical experience.

You should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) and 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact before you apply ? If your MCAT is 508+ you should receive interviews from some of your Texas MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
You need clinical contact (job or volunteering), shadowing, and non-clinical volunteering to round out your application.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user