My SO needs reapplication advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etan19197

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We both applied mainly DO and our state MD schools however she hasn’t received any interviews so she’s looking for some advice.

Graduated May 2018 with degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
ORM female
cGPA: 3.77 sGPA: 3.73
Last 2 years had a 4.0 science gpa

MCAT: 501 (126/122/126/127) this was second attempt after a 496

Research: none

Clinical experience:
Volunteer in cardiology: 150 hours
Shadowed an MD and 5 DOs across multiple specialties: 50 hours
She currently works as a physical therapy tech like 35 hours a week. This wasn’t on her app this cycle. Will be over 1000 hours next cycle.

Non-clinical volunteering: random events through pre med club, maybe 40 hours.

Extracurriculars: Competitive figure skater for all 4 years of college. 520 hours.

LOR: 3 from science profs, and one from MD.

Other work experience: worked in a law office for around 200 hours one summer.

I’ve already given her some advice but I’d like to see what you all have to say about her application. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure how a 3rd MCAT retake would look but for her ECs she could use more non-clinical volunteering and a LOR from a DO physician since she's applying DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure how a 3rd MCAT retake would look but for her ECs she could use more non-clinical volunteering and a LOR from a DO physician since she's applying DO.

Yeah that’s what I’ve told her about the MCAT and she really doesn’t want to retake it. Do you think a DO lor is necessary since she’s shadowed so many DOs?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that’s what I’ve told her about the MCAT and she really doesn’t want to retake it. Do you think a DO lor is necessary since she’s shadowed so many DOs?

That MD letter doesn't help at most MD schools and the DO schools really do love a DO letter. They may be wondering why she submitted an MD letter when she had the opportunity to get one from a DO...
The AAMC recommends that we average MCAT scores. This puts her in a very difficult position. Multiple modest scores are far more damaging than a single one. She's right not to take the MCAT again until she is confident that she will get a score consistent with success.

Reactions: 1 user
This might sound trivial, but why isn't she the one on here trying to seek out her own advice? I say that because she really needs to step back and think about what she can improve in her application and reflect on what things she did in this cycle that may have hurt her application. You can't do it for her, it needs to come from her.

That being said, did several objective people read her PS and activities section before applying? Did she apply broadly to enough DO programs? Are her letters solid from people who could write strong letters? What is she doing right now to improve her app for a potential reapplication? Do you have a pre-med advisor who read through her application and provided some guidance? Did you apply day 1?

Things she should be doing:
1) Getting a DO letter.
2) Adding an activity to her application that she can include in next years cycle if she needs to reapply (this activity should strengthen a weakness).
3) Update schools with things you have been doing this year (hopefully she is doing something that she can update them with).
4) Reviewing her application to find out why she was unsuccessful this cycle.
5) Consider a research project because it doesn't sound like she has any.

After two MCATs her score isn't terrible except for that CARS so idk if I would suggest another retake.
ECs are weak in regards to clinical and volunteering. I'm not sure if the PT tech job will be viewed as clinical the same as scribe etc.
Volunteering is weak, this does not have to be clinical.

I would say to keep the low MCAT and strong GPA.
Increase the clinical/ volunteer hours and consider getting a DO LOR and apply heavy DO.

That MD letter doesn't help at most MD schools and the DO schools really do love a DO letter. They may be wondering why she submitted an MD letter when she had the opportunity to get one from a DO...
The AAMC recommends that we average MCAT scores. This puts her in a very difficult position. Multiple modest scores are far more damaging than a single one. She's right not to take the MCAT again until she is confident that she will get a score consistent with success.
To follow up, I interview someone who has shadowed DOs, but has an MD LOR, I will ask why they didn't get a LOR from the DO.

With two poor MCAT scores, I can recommend a retake. She should apply broadly to DO, except for LMU, Touro-NY, WCU, LUCOM and Nova. Why not those? Do a search.

This might sound trivial, but why isn't she the one on here trying to seek out her own advice? I say that because she really needs to step back and think about what she can improve in her application and reflect on what things she did in this cycle that may have hurt her application. You can't do it for her, it needs to come from her.

That being said, did several objective people read her PS and activities section before applying? Did she apply broadly to enough DO programs? Are her letters solid from people who could write strong letters? What is she doing right now to improve her app for a potential reapplication? Do you have a pre-med advisor who read through her application and provided some guidance? Did you apply day 1?

Things she should be doing:
1) Getting a DO letter.
2) Adding an activity to her application that she can include in next years cycle if she needs to reapply (this activity should strengthen a weakness).
3) Update schools with things you have been doing this year (hopefully she is doing something that she can update them with).
4) Reviewing her application to find out why she was unsuccessful this cycle.
5) Consider a research project because it doesn't sound like she has any.

I posted this for her since I have the account and have done my research on this site and reddit. It was easier than her making an account and learning how to use the site. But thanks for the advice. Pretty much in line with what I advised her to do aside from the DO letter. Logistically speaking we both could’ve applied to more schools and earlier but that’s something we both plan to if we need to reapply

Do you have any acceptances to MD or DO schools at this time ? If so, where?

I don’t currently have any acceptances but I’ve had 2 II and one resulted in a waitlist. She hasn’t had any invites yet.

To follow up, I interview someone who has shadowed DOs, but has an MD LOR, I will ask why they didn't get a LOR from the DO.

With two poor MCAT scores, I can recommend a retake. She should apply broadly to DO, except for LMU, Touro-NY, WCU, LUCOM and Nova. Why not those? Do a search.

That’s a good point. She did shadow the MD the most out of all the doctors and she was close with him since her sister was a resident under him.

I definitely think our biggest mistakes were applying late and not broadly. I’m slightly surprised that I’ve received more interest from schools since her GPA is way higher. Thanks for the advice though!

I posted this for her since I have the account and have done my research on this site and reddit. It was easier than her making an account and learning how to use the site. But thanks for the advice. Pretty much in line with what I advised her to do aside from the DO letter. Logistically speaking we both could’ve applied to more schools and earlier but that’s something we both plan to if we need to reapply

When did she apply? I have similar stats just wondering

I don’t currently have any acceptances but I’ve had 2 II and one resulted in a waitlist. She hasn’t had any invites yet.

Looks like you both need to prep for reapplying. Make sure you are focused on yourself too. Get some volunteer experiences or research experiences to strengthen weaknesses in your own app. You both need to think if you can put together a strong application this year to apply day 1.

Looks like you both need to prep for reapplying. Make sure you are focused on yourself too. Get some volunteer experiences or research experiences to strengthen weaknesses in your own app. You both need to think if you can put together a strong application this year to apply day 1.

Yeah I’ve been preparing myself with some ECs that I felt I was lacking. My gpa is pretty low so this next cycle I plan on applying with new ECs, new LORs and applying early. If that doesn’t work out then I’ll be heading back to school to fix my gpa